I have 837 GB of 920 GB free = 88GB.
For boxes to be backed up, I checked those which were presented to me, i.e., NTFS, FAT 32, and NTFS recovery.
Before installing the latest version it took me 16 minutes to back my system up and now it tkes me over an hour.
Is there something i have done to cause such a difference in time?
I went from Acronis True Image Home 2010 7046 to 7154.
I created a new rescue disc and can view my backup ok in My Computer.
What could account for such a jump in time to backup?
Hey Peter,
Have you always had the same or approximate same Drive size?
Is it possible that you originally created a "New" backup, and then subsequently created "incremental" backups.
And now with the update of Acronis, might it have reverted to creating a full New backup?
I always run and rename "Full" new backups.
It has never taken a full hour, but hardly ever less than 25 minutes.
Hi Doug
To my knowledge I have always had the same drive size and once a week create a full backup. I have never selected incremental and I use the default compression set at normal.
I never use to rename each backup and it worked fine.
I do not know how to change this. I have 6 GB memory so that should not be a factor.
Is there anything else I should be looking at?
In the first Panel of: "Partitions to back up"
Unless you intend for it to happen, be sure that you have not marked:
– Back up sector-by-sector (requires more storage space)
– Back up unallocated space
_______________________________
As practice, I just now installed Acronis 2010 to this machine
Then I completed a full image backup of this machine (Drive C:\ only) 7,089,661KB
Took less than 12 minutes start to finish.
Back up sector-by-sector (requires more storage space)
Back up unallocated space
I check neither of the above.
I have three boxes;1-C:, 2-FAT32(unlabeled), and 3- recovery.
This is a Dell xps 8100 with Win 7 ,64 bit , Win 7 Home premium..
The last backup in December, of the identical backup, but with the previous build, took 16 minutes.
Question, if I want a complete recovery of my system can I leave 'FAT 32' and 'recovery' unchecked and do only the C: drive as you did?
I don't know how FAT 32 affects the recovery.
Oh boy, I laid out the bucks for Acronis home 11 recently because I felt out of the loop. A bad move I think with 2 failed back-ups already.
And, an article reply mentioned the fact that Acronis overwrites the MBR section. I'd certainly go along with that.
That in itself is a serious concern. However, it also embeds itself in every part of the registry. After you uninstall Acronis, you find that thw MBR section has been completely filled up by Acronis and windows backup will no longer work.
Guess What? This led to regular but occasional Black Screen start-ups straight after I uninstalled Acronis. There was definitely something wrong with my MBR. I tried various fixes but in the end I had to do a Nuke and Pave of W7.
It may be just inexperience with the software, but my feeling is "What a bloated piece of garbage with (buggy) issues and I have to pay for an add-on to copy to a DVD" ?
Back to Macrium Reflect free. For a basic drive copy (including to DVD), it's never let me down …ever !
Cheers,
Lee
PS Edit:
Check out some of the replies here about a comparison between Norton's Ghost and Acronis.
Doug
Can you tell me what boxes to check to back up as I have asked below?
Back up sector-by-sector (requires more storage space)
Back up unallocated space
I check neither of the above.
I have three boxes;1-C:, 2-FAT32(unlabeled), and 3- recovery.
This is a Dell xps 8100 with Win 7 ,64 bit , Win 7 Home premium..
The last backup in December, of the identical backup, but with the previous build, took 16 minutes.
Question, if I want a complete recovery of my system can I leave 'FAT 32' and 'recovery' unchecked and do only the C: drive as you did?
I don't know how FAT 32 affects the recovery.
Unless you intend for it to happen, be sure that you have not marked:
– Back up sector-by-sector (requires more storage space)
– Back up unallocated space
_______________________________
As practice, I just now installed Acronis 2010 to this machine
Then I completed a full image backup of this machine (Drive C:\ only) 7,089,661KB
Took less than 12 minutes start to finish.
>>Please see the attachment. I used print screen and paint so you could see what I have to back up. I do not understand FAT 32 as I recently did a Format and install to factory specs.
Thanks Peter,
You have done a good job of specifying your question.
__________________-
In order to completely reply, I intend to restore to a fresh clean HD, and then repeat your same steps with the updated Acronis.
I've been successful in the past, restoring from my own routine.
But I haven't updated True Image Home 2010 since build 5,055 <–
__________________
There may be others with experience with the updated version, and or more recent experience with your other questions.
Hopefully they will post if they have information.
Otherwise, please be patient. I'll have to wait because I am presently busy with other responsibilities.
I would strongly urge anyone not to upgrade to ATI Home 2011, it's pure garbage.
I upgraded and online backup would not work at all.
My normal backup to a 2nd internal hard drive also failed and corrupted the 4 .tib files that were already there from the previous 4 days.
I requested and received a refund and will not touch 2011 again.
I uninstalled 2011, installed 2010 and it works perfectly for me.
Yes I'm also sticking with 2010 for the time being….
Peter, all you need to back up at this stage is the C drive (the one that you have ticked/checkmarked in the screen dump you posted)
You can ignore all the rest….. However some folks like to have an image of the Recovery Partition which in your screen shot is
the third one down, labelled NTFS Recovery. if you want to image this one, then put a tick/checkmark in its box (note you only need to do this once as the Recovery Partition does not alter so once you have made an image, verified it, and kept a copy safe on removable media there's no need to image it (the Recovery Partition) ever again.
It's best to store the image files in an external hard drive that should be plugged in before you start running the Acronis programme
(Plugging it in first, allows Acronis to "see" the external drive and so you can select this as the "destination" for your back up image.
Regards
paws
I understand and beiive I am all set.
My only issue is that I used to backup in 16 minutes with the previous build and now it is almost an hour.
I have no photos or videos on my C: drive.
I also used Macrium to back up and it took 8 minutes.
This leads me to believe the program is slow as the same material was backed up both with normal compression.
I do not know of any way to regain the speed Acronis had with the prior build.
If it was close it would make sense but it is 4x's slower.
Peter,
You can download a copy of the previous build which your purchased.
Log into your Acronis My Account- My Products and Downloads.
Select Acronis True Image 2010.
You will then see a download link for the prior version that you would like to have.
Mine go all the way back to 5055, but also include: 6029, 6053, 7046 and 7154
You probably have the same.
You may want to consider Uninstalling Acronis, and then reinstalling from a prior version.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI