This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Looks like Black Screen of Death?

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am puzzled at a problem on a computer for one of the ladies in our church. Her pc boots up, you get to starting windows 7 and then you get to the welcome screen and after that the screen will go black with the mouse curser, and it will stay like this for 7 minuets. It does this in normal mode and in safe mode each and every time. Granted I was thinking virus because she said windows was acting funny online but ran all sorts of scans and for a few spyware and Malware pick up 2 and cleaned them. The system runs great, with the exception of that black screen of death if ya call it that for about 7 minuets. Now her son upgraded the machine it had Vista on it but now it has Win 7 prem 32 bit. The system is a gateway GT5628 with 3 gigs of ram Intel core 2 processor Was Vista but now its Windows 7 32 bit prem. The only odd thing is the Video card and its a: MSI NX 8500 GT-TD256e 256 megs (Nvidia) I saw the driver was using the windows based, so I found the right one for 7 and installed it, but that still did not cure the black screen part of booting up. So I went to Intels web sit and found that motherboard is no longer supported nor does it has windows 7 drivers for it, Vista drivers of gateways web site but not intel. The motherboard is a Intel DG33sxG2 Any clues to why you would think the system would go to a black screen with the mouse curse and stay like this for 7 min and then comes to deasktop and after runs great? Heck I even tryed disabling all the start up process and end up with the same results, This is why I am puzzle and at a loss. Jimbo1
Hey Jimbo1,

Have you any experience with Soluto?

It's been around for more than 6 months now and has received favorable reviews.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/can-soluto-…rustrating/2164

If what you are dealing with is the loading of excessive startups, Soluto will give you a decent view of what is occurring, plus some recommendations you can decide from if you chose to act on them.

Here's a download location:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/soluto.html

Let us know what you think.

Doug

P.S. Of course the machine's problem may be entirely separate from the above considerations.
For instance you may want to consider the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Of course the machine's problem may be entirely separate from the above considerations.
For instance you may want to consider the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392


Going to try the other program you posted.

Question on this boot.exe thing, who ever upgraded her pc from vista to win 7, can you use any win 7 setup cd to use this tool?

Another question came to my mind last night, think it was first time I came to this board and I think it was you trying to help me with a video card, VgA/DVI/TV out and when I was booting into wondows xp it would go blank, I would get a post boot up screen up to welcome and then black screen.

The MFG could not help and I went to another card, I kinda thinking same here but at least after 7 min it goes into the desk top and the machine runs great.

But any how I post back with the start up thingie

Jimbo1

Of course the machine's problem may be entirely separate from the above considerations.
For instance you may want to consider the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392


Going to try the other program you posted.

Question on this boot.exe thing, who ever upgraded her pc from vista to win 7, can you use any win 7 setup cd to use this tool?

Another question came to my mind last night, think it was first time I came to this board and I think it was you trying to help me with a video card, VgA/DVI/TV out and when I was booting into wondows xp it would go blank, I would get a post boot up screen up to welcome and then black screen.

The MFG could not help and I went to another card, I kinda thinking same here but at least after 7 min it goes into the desk top and the machine runs great.

But any how I post back with the start up thingie

Jimbo1


can you use any win 7 setup cd to use this tool


Yes, but…

If the Windows 7 disk is a branded repair disk, you must select to restore from a backup and then cancel that function… System Recovery Options Panel should then appear.

Easier (if System Recovery Options were installed when upgraded), is to reboot and immediate start pressing F8 - then select Repair Your Computer

Here's a blurb about the features of System Recovery Options in Windows Vista and Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…ecovery-Console

Note: I am not saying that the target machine problem is related to boot options or that command line options from system Recovery Options "will" help this machine.

Actually, I'm hoping that you gain the useful information you may need from Soluto.
This other information re: System Recovery Options, was added as an additional step for exploration if Startups didn't yield any benefit.
Cool program I remember that one now, when I installed it on my xp machine it crashes and I had to do a system restore. But on this one I ran that program Soluto and all it reported was to improve my boot time by 52 seconds, it showed me what to disable and I did but same results, When windows Logo screen comes up and them goes into the Welcome screen they screen would go blank for 7 minuets like clock work. I went well what now. I started thinking again has to be something else loading up thats not showing up with Soluto or any other Windows start up program, but after looking over others nadda, so I now went well this is nice what could be causing this. So Ztrucker came to mind about going and using msconfig to do trouble shooting, which I did but I said mabey their is something I am not seeing or missing. After reading about your exe thing, I tryed a clean boot by disableing all start up items and same result. Hummm only thing left is MS Services items are left, so when I went to the Service tab and said wow that list looked like it was a mile long, saying to myself man this is going to take for ever to un-check each item at a time. For the heck of it I disable all MS Service to see what would happen and wham the machine booted in 50 seconds, uh oooo, so I went and re-enable all and this time only disable half of the list and the machine booted in 50 seconds ok cool here now were are getting some where. After all day of enabling 3 or 4 items at a time I found the poroblem is in the Windows Event Log, if I disable this and boot, machine boots in 50 seconds, If I reenable this same result take 7 minutes to boot into desktop. So now Windows Event Log is cauing the problem when it is enable, so the question is what causing this or can you go ahead and leave windows like this. The machine is doing fine and running great. Jimbo1
No. You need this Service to be running Automatic. Good sleuthing to find this as an involved item. :thumbup: Head over to Event Viewer and see if there are Errors and Warnings that provide more clues.

No.
You need this Service to be running Automatic.

Good sleuthing to find this as an involved item. :thumbup:

Head over to Event Viewer and see if there are Errors and Warnings that provide more clues.



Better said than done, I have no clue as to what and look for, when I had it en-able shows all kinds of questions marks and what not in a lot of area's all that means greek to me.

So where would the main points to look for and what section?
Yeah, I know. :( It can get pretty technical from here on out. Since "the problem" is related to Operating System function (specifically lag time when booting) it is of interest to see what Errors and Warnings are being reported in Event Viewer - SYSTEM Start a NotePad list of what you find. There may be some and/or many repeats. You don't have to repeatedly include them in your list, but do tabulate number of occurances and any time-related pattern. ______________________ Also, since the problem is quite pronounced (7 minute lag - consistently) it is of interest to see if any Application related and/or Security related items demonstrate a pattern. This becomes a matter of sorting through the provided information/Errors/Warnings and then further investigation of the provided description of the Events.

Yeah, I know. :(
It can get pretty technical from here on out.

Since "the problem" is related to Operating System function (specifically lag time when booting) it is of interest to see what Errors and Warnings are being reported in Event Viewer - SYSTEM

Start a NotePad list of what you find.
There may be some and/or many repeats.
You don't have to repeatedly include them in your list, but do tabulate number of occurances and any time-related pattern.
______________________

Also, since the problem is quite pronounced (7 minute lag - consistently) it is of interest to see if any Application related and/or Security related items demonstrate a pattern.

This becomes a matter of sorting through the provided information/Errors/Warnings and then further investigation of the provided description of the Events.


Whew Give me some Ibuprofen, done took a look to see what I am suppose to be looking for lol, man they are a lot of stuff in the tree to read. Lots of info stuff, but have found a lot of errors, but again it means nothing to me, I will try and copy asd much as I can and paste it here.

Like I said in my first post this intel mb is not supported by windows 7, 7 only using drivers by Microsoft and the lag time as you put and btw like that meaning lag time, something is causing it. Consider I have done disable all program start up kinda leaning me toward a windows problem.

I tryed to do a chkdsk and it would not run and even tryed a sfc /scannow and that would not run in evlated mode. Makes me thing hummmmm, if you were here right now hardly nothing is installed in the machine.

The lady told me a little while ago, when her grandson came 2 months ago he said he would fix her up and bumped her to 7 and she said that how the start up has been from the get go and got use to it. I asked her give me another day to see if they could be a fix for this, kinda wanting the machine back after having it a week here, he husband is handicap and no pc atm.

Peace bb with new post of copy logs, not much to look at now because I cleaned out all the old ones, so any showing today with errors are the ones I am going after.

Jimbo1
Took some Ibuprofen, my head hurts, here is most of the errors that I copied and few warnings. [attachment removed] Thats most of the red errors I found, they have a few warning logs and snot load of info logs. Good night and cy in the morning. Jimbo1
Well after my first cup of coffee, this is going to be a fun day. Started up the pc and I get your computer was unable to start. Starting start up repair Repairing disk errors, this make take over an hour to complete Only error after is Boot critical file c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlda.exe is corrupt then after booting again this msg windows cannot repair this computer automatically. Tryed a restore point and hummm no restore points. Start up repair cannot fix So I guess and trying to find a link of how to use windows repair using start up cd, but google not giving me the right ones I am looking for. ATM holding

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI