This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

laptop problems streaming

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am having problems streaming while playing most games. I never had this problem before on this laptop so I think it may have a malware bug.
I hope someone can help me fix whatever is wrong.
Thanks.


Hijackthis Log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 1:09:41 AM, on 12/19/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18999)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.exe
C:\Users\JugHead\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://radiotime.com/channel/c_57917/Conservative.aspx
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://en.us.acer.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://en.us.acer.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: ShowBarObj Class - {83A2F9B1-01A2-4AA5-87D1-45B6B8505E96} - C:\Windows\system32\ActiveToolBand.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.0.926.3450\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Acer eDataSecurity Management - {5CBE3B7C-1E47-477e-A7DD-396DB0476E29} - C:\Windows\system32\eDStoolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [cdloader] "C:\Users\JugHead\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp\cdloader2.exe" MAGICJACK
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [FixCleaner] "D:\FixCleaner\FixCleaner.exe" -boot
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Acer Tour Reminder] C:\Acer\AcerTour\Reminder.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Acer Tour Reminder] C:\Acer\AcerTour\Reminder.exe (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.netzero.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.netzero.net
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://aolsvc.aol.com/onlinegames/free-tri…ploader_v10.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: eDataSecurity Service - HiTRSUT - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSService.exe
O23 - Service: eLock Service (eLockService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eLock\Service\eLockServ.exe
O23 - Service: eNet Service - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eNet\eNet Service.exe
O23 - Service: eRecovery Service (eRecoveryService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRecoveryService.exe
O23 - Service: eSettings Service (eSettingsService) - Unknown owner - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eSettings\Service\capuserv.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: MobilityService - Unknown owner - C:\Acer\Mobility Center\MobilityService.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: ePower Service (WMIService) - acer - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePowerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

–
End of file - 6352 bytes
Posted Image

My guess at this point will be your AVG anti-virus causing it.


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.


Vista and Windows 7 users:
1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

XP Users

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Vista Users

To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista please follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.

Click on the Control Panel menu option.
When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
Click on the View tab.


If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.



Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


I've been seeing some Java infections lately.

Go here and follow the instructions to clear your Java Cache
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml


Next:
Note: Close all browsers before running ATF Cleaner: IE, FireFox, etc.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser

Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.


It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.


  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    [external image: Posted Image]
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • [external image: Posted Image]
  • Then click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.


Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


Please don't attach the scans / logs, use "copy/paste".
Thanks for your help, Tate. I followed all of your instructions except this one: Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files. That's only because I a scary dialogue box popped up. If you really want me to expose my system files I will do it. I just need some reassurance. :unsure:
I ran the malwarebytes and it found this stupid Mighty Magoo adware that I thought I got rid of. I cleared them as instructed. Here's the Malwarebytes log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5384

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18999

12/23/2010 11:41:40 AM
mbam-log-2010-12-23 (11-41-40).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 144477
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AppDataLow\mmagootl (Adware.MightyMagoo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
c:\program files\mighty magoo (Adware.MightyMagoo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:\program files\mighty magoo\ars.cfg (Adware.MightyMagoo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\program files\mighty magoo\icon.ico (Adware.MightyMagoo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Hi, I ran Malwarebytes again as instructed and nothing showed up. I don't seem to be having any more problems streaming online radio while playing solitaire. But, it does start to garble and slow way down if I have too many windows open or try to run games with high graphics. Also, I noticed that I have more processes going in the task manager than what I think is needed. Sometimes if I end process I get better performance. I know how to configure the startup stuff; I've disabled everything except AVG, Install Utility, and HD Audio Control Panel. But, in the Services section of the system configuration some of the items are running and some are stopped, although all of the items have a check mark. Can you advise me what to do with the Services section? I would really like to stop or remove all the bloatware but I'm not sure what stuff is safe to get rid of. I appreciate any help you can give me. :) Molly
I suggest you start with removing the AVG bloatware.

AVG > AVG Removal Tool (x86) - AVG Removal Tool (x64)
AVG Identity Protection > AVGIDPUninstaller


Here's 3 free ones to try.

Use an AntiVirus Software - Choose only one - More than one will conflict. It is very important that your computer has anti-virus software running to protect against viruses. Update Antivirus prior to manual scans as necessary or as used. Please only choose one, having more than one can cause problems, such as crashes and your computer to slow down.

I just had a harrowing experience! I ran the AVG Removal tool (x86). A black window appeared, it wrote some text, then just sat there with a blinking cursor doing nothing more for quite awhile. I figured it stopped inexplicably so I exited the window and opened the AVGIDPUninstaller. Got another black window that also ran some text and a popup stating the computer might need to be restarted. :scratch: I waited quite awhile but nothing more seemed to be happening so I exited out of that window and decided to restart my computer. :oops: When it came back up, it was nothing more than a bag of bones. :pullhair: I mean nothing was running. It wouldn't connect to the Internet, the sound wasn't working and my desktop appearance had changed to what looked like the Windows 95 theme. First thing, I decided to do a system restore. No dice. Got a message telling me System Restore wasn't able to work. Also, none of the securities would work either. :huh: So I figured one or both of those uninstalls must have been in the process of getting rid of AVG bloatware when I impatiently restarted before it was time to do so. I opened the task manager and found that I was running just 21 processes! I looked under the services tab and saw that EVERYTHING was stopped. (LOL. I've always wondered what would happen if I disabled all that "junk"…now I know!) I then ran sysconfig, clicked the start up tab and clicked "enable all" then restarted my computher. I guess now I have a bunch of unneeded stuff starting up that will slow my system down. But I'd rather have a slow system than no system at all. Everything came back to normal upon the restart. I immediately uninstalled AVG from the Uninstall Programs via the control panel and installed Avast from your link.
The question I have now is, should I try again to run the AVGIDPUninstaller you recommended so as to remove anything that might have been leftover from the unintall I did from the control panel?
Thanks :) .
Okay, I ran the x86 uninstaller after setting a restore point. The uninstaller worked a lot better this time but it didn't have me restart my computer. I appreciate all your help. Everything seems to be okay now. Is there something more you want me to do? Thanks.
Here's my usual all clean post

To be on the safe side, I would also change all my passwords.

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but as the malware could be configured to run any program a remote attacker requires, it's impossible to be 100% sure that any machine is clean.


Log looks good :D


  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week
    (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer.
    Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over.
    I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients.
    Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
  • WOT , Web of Trust, As 'Googling' is such an integral part of internet life, this free browser add on warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. It is especially helpful when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    Green to go
    Yellow for caution
    Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly.
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
    If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site
    until there are no more critical updates.

Only run one Anti-Virus and Firewall program.


I would suggest you read:
PC Safety and Security–What Do I Need?.
How to Prevent Malware:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI