Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91639 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How do I save favorites from any internet browser?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

Sorry to hear of this latest problem. Things are obviously going wrong and badly wrong at that. :( This might be a good time to stop, and take it all to your local competent computer technician and ask her or him to sort it all out for you (be sure to get a fixed price quoatation before you start.) The danger of proceeding as you are at the moment, is that important data could be made irrecoverable. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 leader2

leader2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear of this latest problem. Things are obviously going wrong and badly wrong at that. :(
This might be a good time to stop, and take it all to your local competent computer technician and ask her or him to sort it all out for you (be sure to get a fixed price quoatation before you start.)

The danger of proceeding as you are at the moment, is that important data could be made irrecoverable.
Regards
paws

But I don't have the money to go to a technician. Isn't there some way that the backup could be fixed?

#18 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

I am concerned that things seem to be going from bad to worse. If you have valuable stuff on your drives and no copies or back ups that are retrieveable, then the less you do the more chance a technician has, (who can get her/his hands on the computer) to give you the result you want. However if a technician's fee is out of the question then you will have to do the best you can, but your data is at risk. We will continue to provide assistance if you would like us to do so, but we will need to proceed cautiously. Please let us know how you wish to proceed. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#19 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

How are you trying to restore the backup? Are you doing it while booted from Vista? If so, try booting the Acronis CD and doing the restore from there. See if that works.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#20 leader2

leader2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

How are you trying to restore the backup? Are you doing it while booted from Vista? If so, try booting the Acronis CD and doing the restore from there. See if that works.

Hi guys and I apologize for the late reply. :oops:

I was trying to restore the backup by right clicking it and clicking restore. Good news is I found the backup. :thumbup: The bad news is Seagate confirmed that the drive is busted, dead, failed... :pullhair: :angry: Whatever word that you wanna use. :smack: I'm going to have to have it replaced. Thankfully it is under warranty. ^_^ So I will have to send it back and hope for the best with the new drive.

Thanks for all you guys help and understanding of my frustration. I'm a lot calmer now and I hope that I will be able to get back to using my files on the new drive. :D

Thanks. :)

Edited by leader2, 31 December 2010 - 02:48 AM.

#21 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:20 AM

Its good to hear that you have it all under control now Well done! :thumbup: Regards paws

#22 leader2

leader2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Hi guys, quick question for you. In the meantime while I'm waiting to send out my drive and get a new one is ok for me to use my files while they are in the backup? (ie play vids or mp3s, etc) I have to do this because important files are there and don't have them anywhere else. I dbl click the backup and dbl click the M drive icon inside. Then it very slowly allows me to navigate the folders. Please let me know if this is safe for the backup. Or will it corrupt it or harm it anyway? Please let me know asap. Thanks. :)

#23 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

If the files are important to you and this is the only copy you have, I would refrain from messing with them until you had restored them to a new hard drive. There is always the chance something will go wrong and they will be damaged. A very slim chance for sure, but Mr. Murphy thrives on slim chances.

The odds increase dramatically if you are reading and writing to the drive. If only reading then you "should" be safe, but again, Mr. Murphy does not believe in should!

My recommendation would be to copy them somewhere else to use them.

Note: Mr. Murphy means Murphy's Law - If anything can go wrong, it will Murphy's laws site

Rich

#24 leader2

leader2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for your reply Ztruker. So you're saying it's ok to open the backup and copy the files? That won't harm them? Based on what you're saying using the files in the backup could possibly cause corruption. But there will be no corruption if I just VIEW the files on the backup and COPY them right?

#25 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

Correct, just viewing or copying files should not cause a problem.

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Dear learder2 I have 2 comments, if I may. First, a simple way to save your favorites is to familiarize yourself with each browser and look for, 'import and export' or, 'send to' types of features. An example of this would be to look, in msie8, under favs and see import /export. Use this to send your favorites onto a flashdrive or other removable media. That would satisfy your initial query. Secondly, Paws and Ztruker are more astute than most forum petitioners are aware. If you get a chance to read their threads, they demonstrate patience, knowledge and a great willingness to help forum members like you and me who "may not get it" the first time around or lack the understanding to work along with them. Historically, when I have paid attention, done as I was told, and asked specifics, my issues were made clear to me.I then could make a choice because I was better equipped to do so; due to their contributions. I have found it was "me" who was not functioning and not the product, instructions or instructors. My only advise is to hope they have some fuel left for this lengthy trialogue and if so, approach it from a patient, attentive, step by step point of view. I know the frustration of wanting to be at point B from point A quickly and functionally, clap my hands and breathe a sigh of relief. I have put valuable information in my "information learned" folders but it took a lot of work, and especially, patience. I have had to shy away from some procedures because they were over my head for one reason or another. I was better off attending to some problem after a bit of time had gone by and I had learned more of the knowledge necessary to solve the problem at hand. I know all will work out well and I wish you well.