Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How do I save favorites from any internet browser?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hi. Sometimes I've had to reformat my comp and of course everything is erased. In the past I knew how to save html file favorites from Firefox and IE to a folder so that when the reformat was over I could dbl click them and re add them to favorites. I have since forgotten where to go to do this. Which folder do you access for any web browser (I am currently using IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera sporadically. I might try Avant at some point too) to get to the actual favorite file? That way I can copy it to my external drive and once I reinstall the browser readd it to favorites. Please let me know how to do this as in the past I lost some very important favorites my mom had added in Mozilla. Thanks. :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Each browser saves it's data differently, there is no common place.

FireFox
Internet Explorer
Google Chrome
Opera

You could save yourself a lot of time and effort by buying an external hard drive, like a My Book or similar and use decent backup software like Acronis True Image (about $50) or Macrium Reflect Free to create an image backup once you get the computer setup the way you like it.

Then when you feel the need to start over, simply restore the backup image and you're right back where you were when you saved it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

only problem there Ztruker is he'll have lost all his bookmarks that have been added since he made the image,(great idea to make an image tho, makes restoring an operating system much faster) so he'd still need to export them on a regular basis to a backup file/cd from his browsers so he can then import them again after he's used the image to restore his pc, unless of course he makes regular backup images instead of just backing up his bookmarks by exporting them.. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 17 December 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Not a problem if he sets up to do a backup on a regular basis. Mine runs nightly, rotating among 4 folders, each of which holds one weeks worth of backups. The first is a full backup, then nest 6 are incremental. Acronis and an addition called chain2Gen handles this for me. That gives me a three to four weeks of data to chose from. I also have my Acronis online backup run every night but it backs up only my data. Always a good idea to have some redundancy.

Rich

#5 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

Each browser saves it's data differently, there is no common place.

FireFox
Internet Explorer
Google Chrome
Opera

You could save yourself a lot of time and effort by buying an external hard drive, like a My Book or similar and use decent backup software like Acronis True Image (about $50) or Macrium Reflect Free to create an image backup once you get the computer setup the way you like it.

Then when you feel the need to start over, simply restore the backup image and you're right back where you were when you saved it.

Disclaimer: Please excuse the frustration you hear in this message. I am just extremely angry and frustrated about the situation and am extremely concerned about my data....

Well I took your advice and got the Acronis to back up my external hd to another drive. Well the external drive isn't showing up at all in my computer even though it is showing up in disk management and device manager. Arrgh! :angry: I've tried everything I know to make it show and NOTHING! :angry: This happened not long after I backed up my data using Acronis and I was relieved...At least until I tried to use Acronis...

The Acronis backed up my data and then proceeded to make another file that was 529 GB (!) in size that I can't even access Thanks to Acronis I have no space left on my 2tb drive. Can I delete this file to get more space. It's called an Acronis True Image Backup Archive and is the one on the left....

Posted Image

Here is what pops up when I try to open it and I don't know why....

Posted Image

Then when I open my backup on the right it goes extremely slow in opening up and accessing the files (very much unlike my external which opened up and accessed files pretty fast) I CANNOT OPEN ANY OF THE FILES IN ANOTHER PROGRAM (ie trying to open Media player classic and use it to open up a media file or try to add videos in Itunes) and when I tried to copy the files to my desktop the process was ridiculously slow ( 1000 days, 373 days 200 days whatever)

I need your help! What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this in the event that I can't access my external. Any help would be much appreciated! ;)

Again I'm sorry for sounding impatient, I'm just fed up with the results.

Edited by leader2, 25 December 2010 - 06:50 PM.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing...... until Ztruker gets back to you don't delete anything........
Just some observations on your post..I hope they will help.

1 When Ztruker suggested making a disc image using Acronis or Macrium he was intending that you would image your computers' hard drive and keep the image file(s) .tib safe on an extenal hard drive.....
2 If you have in fact done this and it was just a typo here:

Well I took your advice and got the Acronis to back up my external hd to another drive

then there should be no real problem.
3 Your .tib file(s) of 529GB sounds to me like the disc image of your computer's hard drive and if that is correct, that's exactly what you want.......the "normal" compression (default setting) that Acronis applies in creating the image file reduces the file size by around 45% or so, so the hard drive you imaged must have been quite a large one.
4 When you run the Acronis programme on your computer it should be able to "see" your external hard drives (providing they are plugged in) and in the same way the bootable CD that you also made (or should have) will also be able to see your External hard drive and both should be capable of restoring your disc image to your computer, should serious troubles strike in the future that cannot be solved in a timely or cost effective way by the usual means.
5 Its usual to access the .tib files via the Acronis programme......it's not intended that you attempt to access them via (for example Windows Explorer....) the .tib files are in effect electronic "photographs" of your computer's hard drive and contain all the details necessary to put your computer's hard drive back to exactly the same state it was in when the disc image was taken...including the whole of your Windows, your settings, passwords, internet and email settings, bookmarks, favourites, music, videos etc....everything on your machine down to the last byte!
It's for this reason that the initial disc image with its large file size should only be made when your computer is running fast and sweet, free from virus or malicious code, all junk files removed, defragged and in all respects running perfectly..... this way if you re-image your will get back your "perfectly running computer".......
6 Once your disc image is made (and verified) kept safe on removable media (ext hard drive) with an extra copy kept safe off site, you will be able to relax a bit as your position will have been reasonable well secured...
7 However your disc image will gradually become out of date.......as things change, one way of dealing with this is to perform Incremental disc images that only make a .tib file for the changes that have taken place since your first initial image...these Incremental disc images often have a comparitively small file size (compared with the initial one)....1 or 2 GB being common
8 you can also follow up Ztruker's suggestion of using Acronis to copy your data files...this can be an easy solution especially if your Windows and Applications details remain unchanged.
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:12 AM

Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing...... until Ztruker gets back to you don't delete anything........
Just some observations on your post..I hope they will help.

1 When Ztruker suggested making a disc image using Acronis or Macrium he was intending that you would image your computers' hard drive and keep the image file(s) .tib safe on an extenal hard drive.....
2 If you have in fact done this and it was just a typo here:

Well I took your advice and got the Acronis to back up my external hd to another drive

then there should be no real problem.
3 Your .tib file(s) of 529GB sounds to me like the disc image of your computer's hard drive and if that is correct, that's exactly what you want.......the "normal" compression (default setting) that Acronis applies in creating the image file reduces the file size by around 45% or so, so the hard drive you imaged must have been quite a large one.
4 When you run the Acronis programme on your computer it should be able to "see" your external hard drives (providing they are plugged in) and in the same way the bootable CD that you also made (or should have) will also be able to see your External hard drive and both should be capable of restoring your disc image to your computer, should serious troubles strike in the future that cannot be solved in a timely or cost effective way by the usual means.
5 Its usual to access the .tib files via the Acronis programme......it's not intended that you attempt to access them via (for example Windows Explorer....) the .tib files are in effect electronic "photographs" of your computer's hard drive and contain all the details necessary to put your computer's hard drive back to exactly the same state it was in when the disc image was taken...including the whole of your Windows, your settings, passwords, internet and email settings, bookmarks, favourites, music, videos etc....everything on your machine down to the last byte!
It's for this reason that the initial disc image with its large file size should only be made when your computer is running fast and sweet, free from virus or malicious code, all junk files removed, defragged and in all respects running perfectly..... this way if you re-image your will get back your "perfectly running computer".......
6 Once your disc image is made (and verified) kept safe on removable media (ext hard drive) with an extra copy kept safe off site, you will be able to relax a bit as your position will have been reasonable well secured...
7 However your disc image will gradually become out of date.......as things change, one way of dealing with this is to perform Incremental disc images that only make a .tib file for the changes that have taken place since your first initial image...these Incremental disc images often have a comparitively small file size (compared with the initial one)....1 or 2 GB being common
8 you can also follow up Ztruker's suggestion of using Acronis to copy your data files...this can be an easy solution especially if your Windows and Applications details remain unchanged.
Hope this helps
Regards
paws

Thanks for your timely response paws. :) But actually my files are not on my computer, but the external drive that I am having trouble with. That;s why I backed them up in the first place just in case something happened to the external. Please see the link in my aforementioned thread and leave any comments there that you can on what I could do to fix the drive so that it will show up in my computer.

In the picture in my previous post there are two backup images. The one on the left is 529 gb and will not open. The one on the right is the image of my hd and that is 1.3 tb. What I need to know is if I can delete the 529 gb file and free up space since it isn't being used or whatever. The 529 gb file is not my hd backup and I have no idea where it came from or what it's purpose is.

Also I need these questions addressed....

Then when I open my backup on the right it goes extremely slow in opening up and accessing the files (very much unlike my external which opened up and accessed files pretty fast) I CANNOT OPEN ANY OF THE FILES IN ANOTHER PROGRAM (ie trying to open Media player classic and use it to open up a media file or try to add videos in Itunes) and when I tried to copy the files to my desktop the process was ridiculously slow ( 1000 days, 373 days 200 days whatever)

Why is the backup doing this and how can I copy my files without it taking forever. I tried to make copies and it didn't even copy every thing in the folder...

Thanks B)

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi, sorry , I'm having a bit of difficulty here understanding what has been going on..... can you clarify for me please. 1 Are you saying that you used Acronis disc imaging to take an image of an external drive that does not have your Windows operating system on it?... 2 If that is so then I'm having difficulty in understanding why didn't you just take an extra copy? no need for Acronis to do that. 3 the 529Gb file is a .tib file (or several of them) then thats an Acronis image file, its only meant to be opened with Acronis, if it cannot be opened in Acronis then its probably corrupt and probably useless..... does it have anything on it that is important to you and cannot be recovered from elsewhere.? 4 Did you verify the 529GB image after making it? 5 If so what was the result? 6 Your 1.2Tb image file is truly huge, what level of compression did you use and what was the size of the original files? 7 Does this image file contain everything you need? Sorry if these questions seem annoying but I'm having difficulty in figuring out what has happened and why.... I note that you have opened another topic here on the WTT forums...... its best to keep all these posts in the topic here..... it will be even more complicated to understand if we need to keep switching back and forth between two open topics. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#9 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hi, sorry , I'm having a bit of difficulty here understanding what has been going on..... can you clarify for me please.

1 Are you saying that you used Acronis disc imaging to take an image of an external drive that does not have your Windows operating system on it?...
2 If that is so then I'm having difficulty in understanding why didn't you just take an extra copy? no need for Acronis to do that.
3 the 529Gb file is a .tib file (or several of them) then thats an Acronis image file, its only meant to be opened with Acronis, if it cannot be opened in Acronis then its probably corrupt and probably useless..... does it have anything on it that is important to you and cannot be recovered from elsewhere.?
4 Did you verify the 529GB image after making it?
5 If so what was the result?
6 Your 1.2Tb image file is truly huge, what level of compression did you use and what was the size of the original files?
7 Does this image file contain everything you need?

Sorry if these questions seem annoying but I'm having difficulty in figuring out what has happened and why....
I note that you have opened another topic here on the WTT forums...... its best to keep all these posts in the topic here..... it will be even more complicated to understand if we need to keep switching back and forth between two open topics.
Regards
paws

No problem paws. Here is my clarification. I hope it helps. :)

1. Yes I used Acronis for this as I don't use my computer to store my files, but my external hard drive and another reason I don't is because the size of my file (1.3 tb) has outgrown my 917 gb hard drive. I didn't need an image for the computer since my computer has a recovery partition with the op sys on it. I am just backing up my family's files on the external.

2. Take an extra copy? I'm not sure what you mean by this... Are you saying I just should have copied my files on the external directly to the other drive without the backup? I had thought about doing that :unsure:
and now wish I had... :smack: :pullhair: :angry: :blush:

3. It's a iib file yes paws. Actually I don't know what is in it and why it was created in the first place. My files are in the 1.3 tb file on the right. I thought Acronis created the 529 gb file as a backup of my backup :unsure: , but I'm unsure. Are you saying that I can delete this file?

4. How do you verify paws? Please tell me how...

5. I don't know what the result was because I don't know how to verity....

6. I didn't know you control the compression of the file. Where is this done paws? The files were on my 1.5tb external and were 1.3 tb in size

7. Yes it has all my folders from the external.

Your questions aren't annoying me at all paws. I am truly glad that you are willing to help and especially since Ztruker is away. :thumbup: I'm sorry that I opened another another topic, but I thought I needed to ask for help about the drive. No one would think I needed help for an external hard drive from the title of this thread. :popcorn:

Edited by leader2, 26 December 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Sounds like we're off in the weeds on this one. When I suggested using an external drive to make an image, I meant of your boot drive, not an external hard drive you already had. You initial post didn't mention anything about having an external drive, which is why I suggested getting one to prevent these kind of problems in the future. From what I read, you already have a 1.5TB external drive, MOMMYKINS (E:), that you had already backed up your system too. The problem now is that you can't access that drive or the data backed up on it. Please give me one more screen shot. Open Windows Explorer Click on Views and select Details Click on the external E: drive then My Backups Take a screen shot and post it. Should look something like this: ZtMyBackups.jpg What other USB devices do you have connected to the computer?

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

Sounds like we're off in the weeds on this one.

When I suggested using an external drive to make an image, I meant of your boot drive, not an external hard drive you already had. You initial post didn't mention anything about having an external drive, which is why I suggested getting one to prevent these kind of problems in the future.

From what I read, you already have a 1.5TB external drive, MOMMYKINS (E:), that you had already backed up your system too. The problem now is that you can't access that drive or the data backed up on it.

Please give me one more screen shot.

Open Windows Explorer
Click on Views and select Details
Click on the external E: drive then My Backups

Take a screen shot and post it. Should look something like this:

ZtMyBackups.jpg

What other USB devices do you have connected to the computer?

Posted Image

i am very sorry for the misunderstanding Ztruker. :blush: :huh: But I don't use my computer to store files, because I've had several problems and at some point the files got too big for my hd. I've been having problems with this drive so I wanted to back up my files of it. The drive isn't being recognized in My Computer even though it was recognized in disk mgmt and device manager. (MOMMYKINS E: isn't my external ,which isn't even showing up in my computer but rather another 2tb drive that I had.)

I took 8210 guy's advice to format the drive in my link here and the drive did show up. For a little while. Not it's not showing in disk mgmt even though it's showing in device mgr! What in the world?! Can you or somebody tell me what to do? The boot drive C isn't even showing up in disk mgmt now! :angry: :o :pullhair: :smack: :wacko:

Aside from the external I have a printer, mouse and keyboard connected to the computer.

Edited by leader2, 26 December 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

Edited... I started typing this before dinner and finished it after dinner..... just seen Rich's response. I must learn to type a bit quicker!

Thanks for bearing with me and all the questions.. I think I understand now...
The common reason for using disc imaging via Acronis or any other imaging programme is to make a complete copy of everything that is on your machine and in particular your Windows operating system, all its settings, email ,Internet, etc. so that in the event that disaster strikes you can reimage back to your perfect settings and be up and running again with a perfect system in very quick time.

I didn't need an image for the computer since my computer has a recovery partition with the op sys on it.

I understand what you are saying, but if you use that Recovery Partition then all your programmes installed since the computer left the factory will need to be reinstalled..Word, Powerpoint Excel, photoshop, Itunes etc etc don't forget your protections ..anti virus, anti spyware, third party firewall etc. You will also need to install any Windows Service packs issued since your computer left the factory and probably about a 100 or so Windows updates....... then you may need to install Flash, Java, Adobe or Foxit for reading .pdf files, not to mention putting back all the password you use (for websites) and your noram I'm not trying to be gloomy but even if you have to hand all theyour Programmes installation discs, or downloaded executable files all the serial keys
If you just need a copy of your data files then you can just copy them (using Windows Explorer for example) and keep the copy safe on removable media (ext hard drive and preferably with a copy off site.(if you want protection against fire flood burglary etc)
Its no good trying to just copy Windows system files as Windows will have its own files in use and so the copy will not work in the way you want ( Some versions of Windows do now have natural system shadow copy utility built in, but otherwise that why we use disc imaging like Acronis Macrium etc.
When you create a disc image on an external hard drive then it must be plugged in and so must the target drive(the drive that intend to keep your image on) otherwise Acronis will not be able to see it and use it.

When making the disc image you can select the degree of compression that you use, the more compression you use the smaller the disc image file size but the longer it takes...as always its a compromise, If you leave it at "normal compression which is the default" then the file size is compressed down by about 45% or so, with no compression then the file size remains the same, so it uses a lot of space but doesn't have to waste time squashing down the files (compressing them) and then uncompressing them when performing a restore. Its best to do the disc verification immediately the image has been taken...an unverified image cannot be relied upon.
If you use the Acronis wizard to make your images then you will be able to select the degree of compression and verification options right from the beginning.

If you have a problematic hard drive then its best to get a new one (I usually make them) they only take a short while to make..all you need is a suitable size hard drive and a case (available for a few pounds or dollars. Have a look on ebay to give you an idea, or you can buy purpose built.

If you want to try and use your old hard drive, then first try it in a different machine, can windows explorer see it in a different machine....
If not then there is a problem you could run the manufacturers disc utility on it or try running chkdsk with the r switch
the command is
chkdsk /r
you will need to specify the drive letter concerned.
You could also try a full format on it but be advised this will definitely delete any files that are on it at the moment...so dont format it if there is anything precious on it!
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 26 December 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#13 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for your reply paws. ;) I think I am understanding now too. I've heard that you can take the drive out of it's case and put it in an enclosure to see if it will work. I would like to try this as I have an enclosure. Do you know how to do this?

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hi thats good to hear... yes its easy to remove most hard drives from its case Just a few screws to remove and then disconnect the internal power cable and data cable connector. When you put it in the new case it should only take a couple of minutes, Do up the screws and make the two connections (the connectors only go in one way so they cant be fitted incorrectly Good luck Regards paws

#15 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

OH NO!!! I tried to recover my backup onto the external drive and when it came up it brought up a 137mb backup instead of the 1.3 tb backup on the E drive. I opened the backup and the files are still there, but after a few times trying to recover the 1.3tb backup to the drive all I get is this 137 mb backup. Did the Acronis overwrite my backup?!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: How am I supposed to recover the files now? They are all on this backup which is showing up as just 137mb! :angry: :angry: :angry: Will someone please help? I'm desperate to gain access to my files :o

Edited by leader2, 26 December 2010 - 08:16 PM.