Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Keyboard-Logitech

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hi, I have Dell Dimension E521- Win.XP SP+all subsequent updates. I am old and not clever. Due to change in circumstances I had to use the EURO symbol in writing.This symbol in Europe is found on key 5 alongwith the% symbol.To get euro youneed to press Alt Gr and '5'. On dell key board it did not work.I was tired of that and needed an Illuminated keyboard anyway. So I bought a K800 Logitech wireless keyboard and used their Unifying software to install because I already had Logitech M705 wireless mouse and did not need a second usb dongle.Everything works except the EURO symbol!!!!!! When I press Alt Gr and 5 nothing happens and the cursor stays put. So I contacted Logitech. First reply I got was to try key 4 instead of 5.The person actually typed the Euro symbol and said 4 worked for her. I replied that 4 also did not work. In the end she said all Logitech devices worked on MS drivers and I should contact MS to ask for a way to make the euro symbol work.by making changes in driver settings!!!! I visited MS site but could not find a way to contact them about my problem. I also tried to update driver through the device manager but it said the driver was uptodate!!!! Can someone please help me? Some way or Please tell me how to contact MS. Thank you in advance.

Edited by wesi, 14 December 2010 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hi wesi,
The ALTG +4 works for me, but if you are still having problems then try this:

1 Make sure your "num lock" is on ( there is usually a key for this on the Right side of your keyboard...near the numbers) you can also permanently switch this on in the BIOS but for now, just try and find the Num lock Key, press it, and a small light should appear somewhere on your keyboard...usually near the caps lock light.
2 hold down the ALT key the left hand one will do fine and then using the Right side of the keyboard (called the numerical keyboard) press the zero key followed by 128 and then release the Alt key...if there is any fairness in the world you should see a lovely Euro sign the instant you release the ALT key.
NOTE you must use the numerical keyboard on the right hand side (it will not work using the regular keys!) and you must have the NUM lock on.
Good luck and let us know how you get on
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

€ <-- achieved by using Paws instructions: NumLock - Alt -0128 Neither Alt-4 nor Alt 5 worked for me on this PS/2 keyboard, running XP home. So now I'm trying a new Logitech wireless (maybe like what you have) as an external keyboard for a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Vista Ultimate. Same Results :( Only NumLock - Alt-0128 worked to produce the € symbol with either machine. Thanks Paws, for bringing us this instance of "fairness in the world". :)
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

not sure because i'm using linux but for me to get the euro sign it only works when i hold down the right hand Alt Gr key and press the number 4 above the qwerty keyboard. normal 4 = 4 shift+4 = $ Alt Gr+4 = € now if i use the left hand alt key and press 4 i get nothing at all. number keypad does nothing for me either except give me 4. so maybe it'll only work for you too if you press the Alt Gr key. :popcorn:

#5 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thank you PAW. It worked.

I dare suggest that a permanent note of this be displayed
on the site for others who will face this problem.

Thank you once again

#6 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

On my MS keyboard, Alt 0128 works for me but note I don't have to have Numlock set. It works with either Numlock on or off. And for the record, I never heard of the AltGr key and in checking the 20+ keybaords here, none have it. So after doing a little digging it appears most US keyboards don't have one, and only some non-US keyboards do. Not sure how you got one Doug. California is still in the US, right? According to Microsoft, the Alt Gr is equivalent to the CTRL+ALT key combination.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#7 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thank you PAW. It worked.

I dare suggest that a permanent note of this be displayed
on the site for others who will face this problem.

Thank you once again

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

@ Digerati Yes, California is still situated with the contiguous 48 states. But few here would concede that we are subject to influence from the others of the United States. ... except of course when it comes time for need to bail out our various over-spending cities or state government. :P And no. I don't have an Alt Gr key. I had tried it with regular Alt key + 4 or 5 .... without positive result. whereas, Numlock - Alt - 0128 does produce ----> €

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Cntrl + Alt + 4 or 5 doesn't get it for me either. Though now that I tried it I do not need NumLock to be depressed

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:28 PM

in the uk the alt gr key is where the right hand alt key is located for you(first key on the right next to space bar) so wondered if it only works for you if that's the alt key you press with 4 and not the left side one to get € ?? :popcorn:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Ok, here's my results from the 51st state :lol:

The right alt key depressed with the number 4 from the far right with Numlock ON gives

The right alt key depressed with the number 5 from the far right with Numlock ON gives

Though either alt key with the 4/$ or 5/% produces nothing for me on this standard supply keyboard from Dell.(I believe it used to be called 101 key, back in the day :huh: mine only has 94 ) Belief only gets you so far. :unsure:

€ <- alt + 0128 :thumbup:

Edited by Jkc73, 14 December 2010 - 02:57 PM.

~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#12 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

It appears to make a difference where you're from:
http://office.micros...P005275408.aspx
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:02 AM

Hi wesi
Glad the code did the trick for you.
Sometimes I use quite a lot of these codes, there are loads of them, but these are the ones I use most frequently. I can provide a complete list if anyone needs them.
Hope they may be of some use to you and other readers of the topic.

Press Alt and hold it down whilst typing the following codes, remember for UK keyboards and quite a few others, (but not apparently some US keyboards) you will need NUM Lock to be “ON” and you MUST always use the numerical keyboard (to the right) on most desktop machines.

€ 0128
¥ 0165
‰ 0137
— 0151
© 0169
™ 0153
® 0174
° 0176
÷ 0247
± 0177
µ 0181
¼ 0188
½ 0189
¾ 0190
When writing in French or other languages that require accented characters like acute, grave umlaut etc., I often fail to use the codes as they slow down too much my already poor typing. So far my readers have shown great understanding and forbearance but if anyone needs them I can provide a good list of the usual ones.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#14 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thank you,Paws, Just one more quistion, Is it possible to print out just your last post? If so,how? If not how do I get a copy of your post onto my hdd?

Edited by wesi, 15 December 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#15 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

wesi,

Highlight the information you want in Paws' post.

Right-click anywhere on the highlighted information and select copy

Open notepad, wordpad, microsoft word.... whatever you want for a text program.
Right-click anywhere in the open screen for that program... and select paste

Now you can print... save... whatever you wish.

You can find these codes and more here: http://www.tedmontgo...al/altchrc.html
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014