This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

XP Antivirus 2011 Virus

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

XP Antivirus 2011 appeared on our laptop last night. It is telling me I have a trojan on the computer, gives me the IP address and port number being attacked and asks me to block or not. I have tried NOT to respond at all. It also tells me there is a keystroke capture program running on the PC. I have AVG as my virus software. It ran 2 days ago - clean. I am running it now in SAFE mode, but suspect it will not be able to find or remove it. Someone told me to install MALBYTES to get rid of it, but I know from experience that if you do not know how to use the tools, they can cause as much damage as the program itself. I looked in the forum, but did not see removal instructions for the 2011 version of this virus so I thought I should check here first. Thank you in advance. I wanted to add that I ran the scan, but have not seen the log. I'm not sure where AVG puts it. As soon as I went to Windows Explorer (in safe mode) a scan started to run. It looks like this could be a windows scan, but at this point I'm afraid to trust anything. The laptop is off now.
Posted Image


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.


Vista and Windows 7 users:
1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

XP Users

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Vista Users

To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista please follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.

Click on the Control Panel menu option.
When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
Click on the View tab.


If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.



Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

Open Taskmanager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) and end the process for: pw.exe MSASCui.exe
If listed

Click: Start > All Programs> Accessories
Open Notepad, click on Format and uncheck Word Wrap.


1. launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the Quoted REGEDIT below to it. Don't forget to include REGEDIT4.
Save in: Desktop
File Name: fixme.reg
Save as Type: All files
Click: Save

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\pezfile
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pezfile
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "%1" %*]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\pezfile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "%1" %*]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "%1" %*]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pezfile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "%1" %*]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe" /START "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "AntiVirusOverride" = "1"]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "FirewallOverride" = "1"]



2. Save this text as fixme.reg. Make sure the "Save as type:" is "All Files (*.*)" and save it to your desktop.
3. Double-click on fixme.reg. When it asks you to merge the information to the registry click Yes.


Next:
Delete these files if found. %UserProfile% is your user name and any other users.

C:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\pw.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\MSASCui.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\pw.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\MSASCui.exe

We've been seeing some Java infections lately.
Go here and follow the instructions to clear your Java Cache


Next:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.


It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    [external image: Posted Image]
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • [external image: Posted Image]
  • Then click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.


Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


Please don't attach the scans / logs, use "copy/paste". .
I deleted pw.exe. There was no MSASui.exe. I cannot access the internet from the laptop. It seems to intercept all my attempts to any web pages. I will copy the REGEDIT from here and put it on a flash drive. I would assume I could do that for the programs like ATF cleaner and MALWARE bytes? A scan from the malware is currently running on the laptop. Cannot seem to stop it.
Let MBAM finish if it will.

I will copy the REGEDIT from here and put it on a flash drive. I would assume I could do that for the programs like ATF cleaner and MALWARE bytes?

Yes you can but MBAM might clean it.
If MBAM finishes post the results and reboot in Normal Mode and let me know how it goes :thumbup:
I think MBAM is malware bytes? I am confused because I currently cannot get to the internet from the laptop to download anything - including malware bytes. I will run the REGEDIT4 from the flash drive. Maybe you are telling me that by doing that, I should be able to again get to the internet from the laptop?
MBAM = MalwareBytes

I will run the REGEDIT4 from the flash drive. Maybe you are telling me that by doing that, I should be able to again get to the internet from the laptop?

Yes, I hope so.

Any tools I ask you to run can be downloaded to you flash drive and transfered over to the infected pc.
If the tool won't run on the infected pc, then try running it from the flash drive.
ran fixme.reg from the flash drive. I see one instance of pw.exe but when I try to delete it, it says 'cannot delete pw: Access is denied'.
I am following your instructions above. After the fixme.reg is says to delete the pw.exe files.

I cannot delete the pw.exe.

Then it says to clear Java Cache, then ATF cleaner, etc….

Should I proceed through the entire instructions even if I cannot delete the pw.exe file?

I am following your instructions above. After the fixme.reg is says to delete the pw.exe files.

I cannot delete the pw.exe.

Then it says to clear Java Cache, then ATF cleaner, etc….

Should I proceed through the entire instructions even if I cannot delete the pw.exe file?

Yes move on.
Some progress, but not huge yet. I cleared the JAVA cache. I downloaded and ran ATF cleaner fine. I am now connected from the laptop and the scan seems to have stopped, however, I cannot get the MBAM setup to run. It is on the desktop. I cam here to the link to make sure I had the correct download link and downloaded again. Checked task manager and nothing from MBAM appears to be running. Windows says it is not a valid certificate, but I said to run it anyway. Suggestions? I have not rebooted at all yet.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI