I am having problems with my laptop taking a long time to start up after i have entered my password the system will normally take a few minutes to get passed the black screen with the cursor on it. I would be grateful if someone could let me know what might be causing the system to take a long time to start up?
I have had my system checked for Spyware below from Safer networking and also shows what I have tried already to resolve this issue.
never used it myself because i don't run a windows pc, but here's what 1 of our tech's said.
So far I'm quite impressed! The install is a bit hokey looking but it went in with no problem. I allowed it to reboot and when it came back up, Soluto had collected my boot info and then sent it ouy to it's database and generated some analysis on it. When done it presented a view that showed me 3 areas.
No brainer - get rid of
Advanced - up to the user
No way Jose - leave alone
I had to close then restart Soluto then I was able to use it's interface to Pause (remove from startup) or Delay (start when system is idle) programs. Pretty neat. I was able to cut 14 seconds off my boot time.
The other nice part is it keeps track of what you've done and you can undo it at any time.
Check it out and post your comments here please.
it might be worth trying and if it it doesn't help or you don't like it, you can always un-install it.
Read through your thread on Safer Networking and it sounds like you had problems trying to run GMER. I'm not a Malware removal guy so I don't know if GMER is even supposed to work with Win 7 or not but since everything else indicates you did not have a malware infection, try doing a Clean Boot of Windows 7 and see if that allows things to work better. Follow directions if it does to isolate the cause/
Post back if you have any questions.
BTW: I was the one who wrote that post about Soluto that terry1966 mentioned. Do give it a try, but do the Clean Boot first and see what happens.
Just found this at the GMER web site:
The latest version of GMER 1.0.15.15530
GMER runs only on Windows NT/W2K/XP/VISTA/7
so it should have worked for you. I'm going to try it on my Win 7 Pro X64 system and see what happens. I'll post back here with results.
You have Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit, right? If so, try the .exe version from here: http://www.gmer.net/. I don't want the log, just see if it will run for you.
When you go to run it, right click on it and select Run as Administrator. If that works, please let the ken545 know that you got it to run that way. See if he's interested in the log. Don't post it here please.
never used it myself because i don't run a windows pc, but here's what 1 of our tech's said.
So far I'm quite impressed! The install is a bit hokey looking but it went in with no problem. I allowed it to reboot and when it came back up, Soluto had collected my boot info and then sent it ouy to it's database and generated some analysis on it. When done it presented a view that showed me 3 areas.
No brainer - get rid of
Advanced - up to the user
No way Jose - leave alone
I had to close then restart Soluto then I was able to use it's interface to Pause (remove from startup) or Delay (start when system is idle) programs. Pretty neat. I was able to cut 14 seconds off my boot time.
The other nice part is it keeps track of what you've done and you can undo it at any time.
Check it out and post your comments here please.
it might be worth trying and if it it doesn't help or you don't like it, you can always un-install it.
Words of Warning here, I have tryed to use the program and to let you know, run this at your own risk. The program is BETA, I tryed it and it locked my system, would hang up, would not let me shut down windows and was comming up with an unexpected error. I had to do a system restore to get back up and running.
Thought I would pass this on, please make note of this. Thanks
Ztruker, I have tried downloading GMER from the link you provided and tried to run it in Windows and within safe mode but I am still experiencing the same problem I have attached a screen shot below of the issue that I am not able to select the options required to run the scan. Would you know why I'm not able to select the required options? I'll also try doing another Clean boot to see if I can find the problem.
@wizkid
Some questions for you:
1 If you boot into safe mode does this improve your startup times?
2 Does your machine run fast and sweet after it has successfully booted up?
3 Using a stopwatch, time the number of seconds between powering on and the desktop appearing,
4 and also the time from powering on and hearing the Windows sound.
5 If you ran the Beta software from Soluto..what was the boot time indicated by the software
6 Have you tried a System Restore Point created just before the problem started?( here's how:) http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble…e-windows-7.htm
7 If any doubt as to when the problem started err on the side of caution and use a System Restore Point created well before the problem started.
8 We need the exact make and model number of your computer..please post back with this.
9 Your logs over in safer networking indicate that you have Acronis installed on your machine…..do you have a disc image that you could use to reimage your machine?
and finally
10 Do you have a full accurate and complete backup of all your important stuff kept safe on removable media (docs drivers, spreadsheets, music videos, passwords user names emails favourites contact list/address books together with all your serial keys (including the one for Wwindows itself ) ?
Post back with the inforamtion above and we will advise the next steps
Regards
paws
Hi paws,
Thanks for your response,
I will try my bes to reply to your questions
1. Yes if I boot into safe mode the system starts up a lot faster than booting into normal windows.
2. The machine is fine once its booted up.
6. I have tried running a system restore but this has not helped.
7. I cant member exactly when the problem started
8. Sony Vaio VPCEC1M1E/WI
9. I dont have a disk image available
10 No.
The questions I have not answered I am going to do know and will post back with the results . However I have noticed this afternoon after disabling all services apart from the Microsoft ones the system did boot up a lot faster so it does look like there is a service that is causing the system to slow down when logging into Windows.
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
The system works okay in safe mode with networking and boots up faster.
I have attached a few pictures of the services that are still listed after I have checked Hide Microsoft Services. Could you take a look and let me know what services are essential out of them?
Also I've attached a problem with the Boot section on Msconfig there is nothing showing under this section I am unable to click on any boxes under that section any ideas how I can fix that?
My first pass is this: Try it and see what happens. You can always enable again if something doesn't work.
AMD Extermal Events Service
Bonjour Service - Apple
Nero Update - Check for updates manually
PDAgent - Raxco - I don't see any need for anything to be resident for a defragger. Use the one that is built into XP or give DeFraggler a try.
PDEngine - Raxco
Secunia Udate Agent - Check for updates manually
ServiceLayer - Nokia
Soluto PCGenome Core Service - Soluto
SwicthBoard - Adobe
Uninstall Soluto and use msconfig to disable the entries you used Soluto for.
What about your Startup items?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI