Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Query Regarding png image!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

I am using an application to which images can be attached....the issue is: whenever I click on the png image, it opens blank whereas if I save the image on the desktop and then opens it, it opens fine...it is only the issue with png format...not with any other format...for example...this issue does not happens with image of jpg format...can anyone please let me know the cause of this?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

It maybe needs you to set the file associations so that files with the .png suffix are associated with your default image viewing application.
Try it anyway and see how you go.
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 08 November 2010 - 12:25 PM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

This is for win 7/vista..can you give me the similar link for win xp?

#4 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi vijay.gupta :wavey:

Here is the link you requested. :thumbup:

How to Change File Type Associations in Windows XP

Regards,
Jkc73 :)
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#5 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

I follow the steps to check the file association but there was already application association associated (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer) to it. Also, if I save the picture on desktop, then double clicking is opening it fine in the same application (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer). This issue is happening on Windows XP and not happening on Windows 7. Any other suggestions? Please take a look at the attached screenshots: 1) Properties.jpg - screenshot of proprties tab of saved png image 2) open.jpg - screenshot of the window that opened when clicked on png link from application

Attached Thumbnails

• properties.jpg
  • open.jpg

#6 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

Is there no one to respond to this query?

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

This is not an answer to your query... but rather an attempt at an explanation of why I don't know how to help here.

As I see it..
  • You file associations are not the problem because they tell your computer what program to use to open files on it and things work correctly when opened on your computer.
  • You have posted two pictures showing the problem when accessing a webpage that apparently contains a picture
  • You apparently don't have trouble seeing the images that you posted here.
  • Both of the images shown here are .png so therefore you must have proper settings on your browser to see .png pictures.
  • Therefore... I don't understand the problem

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

Here is a Firefox Extensions add-on that may be of some help.
I've never used it.
I'm inclined to give it a try, because it has been listed since 2008 and has 26 comments, all favorable, plus discussion in Firefox Help/Support.

It's up to you, if you want to try it:

https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/8207/
About Discussion:
http://www.spasche.net/openinbrowser/

HOWEVER... You may be having difficulty displaying a file.png, because the URL site you are visiting is "secure" (HTTPS)

The above add-on describes that it does not work for https

Further, I am not able to test this out, since the URL of the site in your posted image is secure and requires userID plus password to access.

A username and password are being requested by https://portal.testciq.com. The site says: "ciqdev.com"

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#9 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:12 AM

so, is there no solution to this issue in ie or at least the reason why this issue is happening? also note that this issue happens only on some computers in my office so that it appears to be something related to some setting but i dont know which one ?

Edited by vijay.gupta, 28 November 2010 - 06:23 AM.

#10 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi vijay.gupta,

The apparent fact that you are dealing with multiple computers, some of which have the problem, while some don't, suggests that settings for browser, and scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java programs, may be set differently on different machines. Plus you indicate that the various machines may be using different operating systems.

You will have to sit down in front of each machine and solve for a solution on each separately.

Here is a trouble-shooting protocol for Internet Explorer, for this type of problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807

Does your company have an IT department?
You may want to hand off the problem to them.

Or, if it turns out that "you" are serving as the IT department for your company, you will have to schedule time in front of each machine.

The above cited MS article should give you a good checklist procedure for dealing with each machine.
Also make sure that each machine is fully updated for its operating system.
If there is a difference of anti-malware utility (for instance, some using Norton, some using TrendMicro, some using free solutions) this could be an additional complicating factor.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

thanks doug, all the machines are using same operating system..

#12 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hey Doug,

Sorry for the very late reply. I checked on my office computer again and find that this issue is specific to Internet Explorer only. The same issue is working fine in Firefox and Google Chrome.

This also means that file association is correct on my office computer.
It seems that Internet Explorer version on my office computer is not able to display .png image.
This issue can be checked in one way: I bet that png images would not be displayed after the website containing png images is opened on IE. But I don't know such site. Can anyone please let me know if you know any such website?

Also, the link that works to display png image in Firefox and Chrome but does not works in IE is: https://bugtracker.c...chmentId=261355

There is different attachement id for jpg and png image. If I change the attachment id to that of png, then the same link stops working (only in IE)

Note that this link does not work for anyone because this is authenticated site (proprietary to the organization in which I work)

#13 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

It all sounds a bit weird, but you could always try converting the image from png to jpg.

Free online image converter:
http://www.coolutils...mage-Converter/
follow steps 1,2,3.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#14 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

thanks lee but i want to rectify the issue in ie not the workaround as i already have that in the form of other browsers and also if i save the png file instead of opening it it opens fine

#15 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

So the problem is regardless of file format? Sorry, I thought it was only png. Cheers, Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.