This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Query Regarding png image!

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using an application to which images can be attached….the issue is: whenever I click on the png image, it opens blank whereas if I save the image on the desktop and then opens it, it opens fine…it is only the issue with png format…not with any other format…for example…this issue does not happens with image of jpg format…can anyone please let me know the cause of this?
I follow the steps to check the file association but there was already application association associated (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer) to it. Also, if I save the picture on desktop, then double clicking is opening it fine in the same application (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer). This issue is happening on Windows XP and not happening on Windows 7. Any other suggestions? Please take a look at the attached screenshots: 1) Properties.jpg - screenshot of proprties tab of saved png image 2) open.jpg - screenshot of the window that opened when clicked on png link from application
This is not an answer to your query… but rather an attempt at an explanation of why I don't know how to help here.

As I see it..
  • You file associations are not the problem because they tell your computer what program to use to open files on it and things work correctly when opened on your computer.
  • You have posted two pictures showing the problem when accessing a webpage that apparently contains a picture
  • You apparently don't have trouble seeing the images that you posted here.
  • Both of the images shown here are .png so therefore you must have proper settings on your browser to see .png pictures.
  • Therefore… I don't understand the problem
Here is a Firefox Extensions add-on that may be of some help.
I've never used it.
I'm inclined to give it a try, because it has been listed since 2008 and has 26 comments, all favorable, plus discussion in Firefox Help/Support.

It's up to you, if you want to try it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8207/
About Discussion:
http://www.spasche.net/openinbrowser/
_______________________

HOWEVER… You may be having difficulty displaying a file.png, because the URL site you are visiting is "secure" (HTTPS)

The above add-on describes that it does not work for https
_______________________

Further, I am not able to test this out, since the URL of the site in your posted image is secure and requires userID plus password to access.

A username and password are being requested by https://portal.testciq.com. The site says: "ciqdev.com"

so, is there no solution to this issue in ie or at least the reason why this issue is happening? also note that this issue happens only on some computers in my office so that it appears to be something related to some setting but i dont know which one ?
Hi vijay.gupta,

The apparent fact that you are dealing with multiple computers, some of which have the problem, while some don't, suggests that settings for browser, and scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java programs, may be set differently on different machines. Plus you indicate that the various machines may be using different operating systems.

You will have to sit down in front of each machine and solve for a solution on each separately.

Here is a trouble-shooting protocol for Internet Explorer, for this type of problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807

Does your company have an IT department?
You may want to hand off the problem to them.

Or, if it turns out that "you" are serving as the IT department for your company, you will have to schedule time in front of each machine.

The above cited MS article should give you a good checklist procedure for dealing with each machine.
Also make sure that each machine is fully updated for its operating system.
If there is a difference of anti-malware utility (for instance, some using Norton, some using TrendMicro, some using free solutions) this could be an additional complicating factor.

Best Regards
Hey Doug,

Sorry for the very late reply. I checked on my office computer again and find that this issue is specific to Internet Explorer only. The same issue is working fine in Firefox and Google Chrome.

This also means that file association is correct on my office computer.
It seems that Internet Explorer version on my office computer is not able to display .png image.
This issue can be checked in one way: I bet that png images would not be displayed after the website containing png images is opened on IE. But I don't know such site. Can anyone please let me know if you know any such website?

Also, the link that works to display png image in Firefox and Chrome but does not works in IE is: https://bugtracker.capitaliq.com/FileAttach…chmentId=261355

There is different attachement id for jpg and png image. If I change the attachment id to that of png, then the same link stops working (only in IE)

Note that this link does not work for anyone because this is authenticated site (proprietary to the organization in which I work)
thanks lee but i want to rectify the issue in ie not the workaround as i already have that in the form of other browsers and also if i save the png file instead of opening it it opens fine

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI