Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91803 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Yahoo Mail Plus

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Hello, Can anyone tell me if there REALLY are no ads on Yahoo Mail PLUS? Their blurb states 'No Graphical Ads' so why doesn't it just say 'No Ads'? Are there other ads that it sees as non graphical? I appreciate I will have to pay a small yearly fee for this but I am more concerned with a clean email screen. Thanks, NormanR

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,805 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

I can't answer your question but do have a suggestion. Use FireBird, Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, SeaMonkey Suite or several other E-mail programs. None have any adds because they all download the Email to your computer rather than looking at it via a web browser.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:42 AM

Hello Rich, Thank you for your help, I will certainly consider these as options. Are they easy to initially set up? Norman

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,805 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hmmm, re-read your post and I don't think any of these will help unless you have the paid version of Yahoo Mail which then allows you to setup an E-mail client to access the Yahoo POP and SMTP servers where the E-mail is sent to and received from. There are tutorials for all the E-mail clients I mentioned plus folks here can help if interested.

Rich

#5 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:30 AM

Hello Again,

I don't mind paying, I'd just like a clean ad free environment. I don't really understand what is meant by "..........which then allows you to setup an E-mail client to access the Yahoo POP and SMTP servers where the E-mail is sent to and received from. "

Thanks again,
Norman

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

Norman, who is your Internet Service Provider? Normally you will have an E-mail account with them and you can then use any of the E-mail clients I mentioned to access it directly from your computer rather than using your Browser. POP and SMTP are just names used to identify the protocol used to send and receive mail through your ISP (internet Service Provider). Lots of acronyms used in the computer world. POP = Post Office Protocol - this is where you get your mail from. SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - this is where you send mail to. For my ISP which is Brighthouse, aka Road Runner, they are pop-server.cfl.rr.com smtp-server.cfl.rr.com Each ISP uses different ones. The method to set them up is the same, just the names are different.

Rich

#7 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:39 AM

Rich, My ISP is AOL (Paid email service) but I want to change from that. Once I change to BT (to use their fibre optic service) I will no longer have my usual email account available and I cannot (so AOL tells me) use the same AOL email address for the AOL free web mail service. My intention was to notify all my email recipients of a new email address (hence wanting to use Yahoo PLUS (if no ads - my original enquiry) until I have my BT email address set up using my own domain name. If you follow me! Thanks again, Norman

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

Hi Norman Rich (Ztruker) and I, have been quietly talking to each other ( behind the scenes) to ensure that we are as helpful to you as possible over the email issue. ( The Yahoo "rules" in the US of A are different from the rules over here (in the UK) We have a number of potential solutions for you (up our collective sleeves!)....... but as you are soon to switch to BT have you considered emailing one last time ( using the ad vert ridden Yahoo account if necessary ,or your AOL one if you prefer) all your contacts (or at least the ones you want to keep) and tell them to use your new BT email address that will be something like yourname@btinternet.com This would be a very simple solution.? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#9 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:35 AM

Paws & Rich, Thanks again for your response(s). The problem is that until I get a BT email address which will not be known until I am connected via BT I can't notify all contacts. I can't be connected to BT until I dispense with AOL as I need a MAC number at which time I will be disconnected from AOL and unable to use it as well as all email going to AOL will be returned to sender. Apparently one cannot have 2 ISPs servicing one phone line. I have another phone line in the house and have emailed AOL to find out whether my existing account can be moved to this line, freeing my main phone line for BT to conect their service. This way I can still receive my AOL mail whilst gradually integrating the BT email service. This is dependant on AOL switching phone lines for my existing account. I await to hear from them. Norman

Edited by NormanR, 07 November 2010 - 05:40 AM.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

Hi Norman Yes I understand... Maybe one of the first jobs as soon as you are connected via BT will be to use your new BT email address and delete your old AOL one from their contact list/address books...? Although when I have done this ( for myself) I have found that practically no one bothers to delete my old email address they just add my new one to their address book/contact list and its ages before they realize they are still using the wrong one! Human nature I guess. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:48 AM

Paws, Yes, I am aware of that option. I like may last idea best and will wait to hear what AOL have to say about transferring my account to another of my phone lines. My original question about Yahoo Mail PLUS remains unanswered though and I wonder if anyone out there is able to tell me if it's completely ad free? To repeat, my original idea was as follows: 1) Advise all my contacts of a new email adress on say, Yahoo. 2) Dispense with AOL and get connected to BT. 3) Re-advise all contacts of my new BT email address (using my own domain name which I bought about a year ago but never used as it wasn't able to be read or used in AOL mail. 4) There are also a number of online services I use where any change to my email address has to be notified directly through their website. Hope you understand my position. Best Wishes, Norman

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi Norman,
Yes I understand and it sounds like a good plan to me,

Coming back to Yahoo again, as far as I'm aware there is no way to use it 100% totally advert free...... apart from adopting Rich's excellent suggestion of an email client to download all your Yahoo emails via POP3.
As you know there are 2 main methods of using yahoo mail:
1 via the Web (as I think you do at the moment)
2 using an email client

For any other readers of this topic I must state at the beginning that the following instructions do not work in the USof A ( don't know why...sorry) but work just fine in the UK and Ireland.
I set up a lot of yahoo.co.uk accounts for my customers in the UK who want to access their yahoo account via a
POP3 client, and have one myself (yahoo mail account) that works well with Outlook Express, and will work with most email clients as mentioned by Rich and most operating systems ..the following are for Outlook Express (thats what I use) but you can usually easily adjust them to your own particular set up.
1 the first step is to keep your webshield OFF and then check that POP forwarding has been allowed on your
yahoo account (the settings may have slipped or been re-set)
2 To do this open your yahoo mail via webmail enter your user name and password and then (using classic view) go to:
3 Options>Mail Options
4 click on POP and forwarding
5 Click on Set up or edit POP forwarding
6 Click on Web and POP Access/forwarding and ensure there is a dot in the radio button.
7 complete the rest of the form to taste
8 Don't forget to click on Save at the bottom of the form and then Sign out
9 Click on Return to Yahoo Mail
10 now sign out completely from Yahoo.

turning now to Outlook Express...with your Inbox open

11 Click on Tools>Accounts
12 Click on the Mail tab
13 Click to highlight your Yahoo account or add a new account as necessary( follow the wizard if a new account)
14 Click on Properties
15 Click on the Servers Tab
16 type in the following settings
My Incoming mail server is a: POP3
Incoming mail:(POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Account Name ???@yahoo.co.uk (replace??? with your user name)
Password Type in your password
Remember password, complete to taste
Log on using secure authentication ensure there is No tick or mark
My server requires authentication ensure this Is ticked or marked
17 Click on Settings
18 Use same settings as incoming mail server ensure there is a mark in this box
19 Click on OK
20 Log on using... ensure there is No mark
21 Now click on the Advanced Tab
22 You will need the following settings:
Server Port Numbers
Outgoing Mail SMTP.... 465
This server requires a secure connection SSL ensure there IS a mark
Incoming Mail POP3.... 995
This server requires a secure connection SSL ensure there IS a mark
Server Timeout adjust slider to 1 Minute

Other settings on this page are non criical and can be adjusted to taste
23 Click on OK
24 Click on Close
25 Close down Outlook Express

Now open Outlook Express again and try to get your emails....see how you go.

Norman, These steps may be a little further than you want to go...its your call of course..but it does seem to be a bit of work just to avoid the ads!
It works Ok when you are accessing the net via AOL...you just need to open Outlook Express when you are connected to the net via AOL in the usual way. and finally....
Some emails clients (and this includes Outlook Express,) will want to default to different settings than the ones I have given above when you set up your Yahoo account...... and then it won't work..... for the UK you MUST use the settings given above, especially important are the port numbers for incoming and outgoing mail and the SSL...these are vital!

Hope it helps anyway
Regards
paws

#13 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hello Paws, Just to clarify a few points and further inform you of my position (apart from near the window). I don't have Outlook or Outlook Express. I do have Windows Mail which IS connected to my AOL account. Are Eudora, Windows Mail and Outlook what you refer to as OP3 accounts? Following Rich's suggestion I also have installed Eudora and it works for my AOL but NOT with my Yahoo account so can I assume your previous instructions will rectify that. It shows Eudora listed in the left hand pane but I am unable to send or receive any messages. I assume further setting up is required. My Yahoo account is a myname @yahoo.com NOT a yahoo.co.uk account - will this invalidate your instructions? If I set up my Yahoo account as per your instructions will it work in the USA as I'll be there for a couple of weeks from Friday? What is a webshield and how do I keep it off? As a matter of interest, where about are you situated? Thanks again for all your help, I hope I'm not too much of a pain in the **** Best wishes, Norman

#14 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Paws, Just for good measure here's another issue. When following your instructions to allow POP forwarding on Yahoo I am informed of the following as per the screenshot. This now takes me back to square 1. A bit like 'There's a hole in my bucket'! Norman

Attached Thumbnails

• POP.JPG

#15 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

Hi Norman, Yes this is what I feared... The method I outlined works well with yahoo.co.uk and from the UK, but not with a yahoo.com account and from the US of A.....( this is exactly the problem that Rich identified to me...so if you want to continue with your yahoo.com account then I can't really help... (Not very satisfactory, I agree!) sorry. :( If you had a yahoo.co.uk account the settings I suggested will work OK in Windows Mail from the UK or Ireland, but I cant speak for Eudora as neither I or any of my customers use it! I'm located near the M25 to the south of London. Regards paws