Pulling out or blocking the DDC is not guaranteed to work.
When you tried the newer Samsung monitor, did you use a DVI-D cable? Did you use any adaptors?
Thanks to all.
I suppose I could have left the pin in the cable, but I really did think it might work.
Nahumi,
The DVI -VGA adaptor i have is a DVI-A type. the info I have was from here.
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
Worse comes to worse I will just solder another full pin vga plug from an old monitor that has bitten the dust That poor thing , I don't know how many times I did the Greek repair job of giving it a good thump on the top if it after some dry solder problems started to emerge. I eventually I had about 2 colors !
( I remember a turntable I had once which was playing up and I gave it the "treatment"…. turns out I had left the transport screws in !!!… Ha Ha!
At the moment folks I have the latest driver 260.99 in .
that part is okay it seems . The computer recognizes the card specs no worries.
I am going to try another monitor again just to see what happens…
i am thinking about making a new INF file for the monitor so it will be able to perform to its capacity.
But thats another story..
regards,
Zoe
PS.
My father was Greek so I have inherited the fishing line and wire repair mentality : )
To be honest… I think the best way to solve this problem is to just buy and use a DVI-D cable. No messing around with VGA cables and adaptors. It's possible that although it works on XP, the drivers for Vista/7 don't fully support certain configurations of old cables, adaptors and screens.
I suppose the other thing you could do is to take the GPU and put it in Lee's computer to see if it works with your monitor.
Or just take everything apart and start again…
Thanks Nahumi,
I tend to agree with you on the cable business.
This Monitor I have is weird anyway. The VGA cable doesn't just come out of the monitor like most do. it has two mini D-SUB connections
and also an alternative connection these weird 5 BNC connectors.
I mean .. hang on… the monitor is 10 years old !!!!
I am going to hijack Lee's monitor with his new Samsung driver and see what happens. Then I will give him my graphics card and see if he has the same problem . Then I will steal his graphics card….
Regards,
Zoe
Hi to all,
Thought an update on the monitor situation is timely.
I decided that pulling a pin out of the VGA cable was NOT a good idea.
Soldering the pin back in … that was fun but no….
Taking the old connector from the spare monitor and trying to solder the cable which had the missing pin connector…. I unfortunately had a few leads which didn't match at all .
I used a process of deduction .I.e I matched up all the colors that seemed similar .. However I got to a green to purple and a white to brown and I knew it was the end for me …
Anyway, I will buy a new cable off Ebay and I will forget about Windows 7 for awhile and I will stop hijacking my partners equipment to try and solve a problem that really needs a few more years from Microsoft .
Thankyou very much from all who have taken an interest in this problem and now I can do something else.
Regards,
Zoe
Just an update:
A new D/Sub monitor cable (analogue cable) has been bought and fitted, as Zoe's (valiant) efforts to try to re-solder the pin she pulled out on her old cable turned into a Greek tragedy
Anyhow the problem rolls on.
Personally I think it is a W7 problem with her particular combined Intel hardware config. set-up. She has not been the only one with this stuck resolution problem.
Lots of different drivers have now been tried but without success.
I don't think there is a fix for this problem so personalty, I'm just waiting on a W7 Service pack 1 (W8?) release that might fix the issue. It seems that no display driver will quiet 'sync' with her hardware set-up. Regardless of Monitor or Video card.
A long overdue thanks anyway, for all the help provided here by everyone
Cheers,
Lee
For the present monitor, W7 doesn't recognize the model in the Device manager, but recognizes the monitor is there (default monitor). We even found a W7 compatible monitor driver for it, but it made no difference.
The Device manager did recognize my Samsung model and our spare monitor when we had them connected to Zoe's PC.
As you already know, no joy with either.
By deduction, It has to be a software problem, because apart from trying a new mobo, everything else including a different CPU (an early dual D series) and PSU has been tried.
If there was something wrong with the mobo, it would be creating problems with her XP which it isn't. She has GTA 4 up and running fine on XP at the moment, so she's happy …for now
Well I'm not sure about all games, but I had Fallout 3 on W7 and it was a dog. Kept crashing and sometimes just would not boot-up.
I have it on XP now and not a problem
I'll give Dirt 2 a go on W7 as apparently it's optimized for Direct-X 11. I'll see how it goes.
Then I will probably have to start a thread here about how to network the game from W7 to XP (I havn't got a clue), so Zoe and I can do a bit of a driver's challenge
Cheers,
Lee
you have a direct x11 compatible video card?? dx11 can be used in both xp and win7 just as long as the card is able to utilize it.
think i may be mistaken about xp being able to use dx11 don't think ms wrote the code for xp or vista only win7.