This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

This is driving me nuts!

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

@ Terry The Quote function setup is by design so that it does not insert any extra space(s). Are you selecting the Quote function, and then inserting the text line(s) between the two bracketed BBcode Quote references? _______________________ Type or copy/paste the line(s) you wish to include in Quote Box. next: Then use your cursor to highlight all the text you wish to include in the Quote Box. next: Press the Quote function icon result: The text should be included inside of a Quote Box.
Thanks Doug, I think in her own areas of Tech expertize (many), she might turn out to be an asset to this forum :)
A hearty welcome to Zoe. :P

Going back to Post #8, it is a fix I've come across and used before.

In addition to preventing driver installation based on another policy, you can stop Windows Update searching for a driver in the first place. The setting should be in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation . Then click on "Turn off Windows Update device driver search prompt".

Make sure you click Driver Installation and not Device Installation.

Also, a little side note, if you're connected to the internet, Windows will download and install an nVidia driver, not just a standard display driver. Also, when you're installing the latests drivers, are you choosing to do a "clean install" via the custom installation menu?


Cheers,
Nahumi
Thank you kind people for your input and greetings. . Thanks to Terry for the the links. nice and clear and colorful ! I have yet to find a GPU Bios update although i know they exist. Gee, I don't think anybody on the net has done much of that. Since the gpedit.msc adventure , I now am missing the display device section in device manager. Now in " Other devices" ( :( ) I have the Exclamation mark symbol next to Video Contollers- (VGA compatible) VGA-haven't heard that word for awhile ! But I do have a decent resolution and proper color (32-bit-true color). I am too scared to do anything now because I reckon once I install the nvdia driver it will go back to being stick there on 800x600 …… However, when in Control panel / Display / Adjust resolution / Advanced Settings - there is no information available as to the graphics card (.n/a or not available). So , I am sure that when I try to install a game its going to shove me out the door . So I know I will have to fix it…. Next I am going to try the driver Terry suggested and then the GPU Bios update if I can find it . Also I suppose the Mobo chipset drivers …….
i really wouldn't try a bios update on the card if you can get away with it, after all the is always a risk of it failing and ruining the card. now you've turned off both win 7 install and update new drivers, i'd update the motherboards chipset drivers first then try and install the latest driver again, if they won't work then try the older ones. but fingers crossed they will install ok now. the cards bios update would definitely be my very last option to try. :popcorn:
For the latest episode….
I have put the latest chipset drivers in (by the way which were supposedly to assist with the pci-e …..ra-ra-rar
No
.It seems that windows is continuously loading its own .……… driver and if i disable the installation of native drivers with the gpedit .msc , it acts like a complete …………… and wont let me install any other driver.
Hmm.
I am going to go to windows updates now because I have decided that its might be a good idea to become a complete zombie at some point in my life.
:banana2:

Edited by paws:
I agree with Terry, do not try updating the GPU BIOS. That's just asking for trouble.

When device manager says VGA Display, it isn't using a proper driver. It's just something very basic that outputs a few pixels through the card, it doesn't allow the machine to use the card in the way it was intended.

Have you actually downloaded and installed the latest nVidia drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us ?
Thanks nahumi, for that info about VGA as i never really knew what was happening re:signal from graphics card. For a bit of a change i started windows 7 in Safe mode and that also gives me all the options that I had without any driver at all (I.E. VGA mode) I have downloaded a program called Powerstrip which is supposed to be to enable virtually infinite display configurations but Iit couldn't change my stuck resolution. I have tried the very latest display driver 260.99 and no go. regards, Zoe65
Okay, I've been doing a bit of digging around and could be something to do with EDID (Extended Display Identification Data). Essentially, your computer can usually configure itself by gaining the required information directly from the monitor. Both VGA (newer cables) and DVI connections have built in EDID via the DDC/DDC2 (Data Display Channel). If you're using an old monitor, or using any form of VGA - DVI adaptor, EDID could be malfunctioning. Luckily, nVidia do allow you to add and use a custom resolution. Perform a 'clean install' of the 260.99 drivers and restart your PC. Go to the desktop, right-click and go to the nVidia Control Panel. Go down to Display and then 'Change Resolution'. Below the resolution choices, there should be an "Add Resolution…" button. Click that and create a new resolution which matches your monitor's native resolution. Select it and hit apply, and hopefully it should work.
thanks Nahumi for the advice and info.
I am pretty impressed that you have gone and found this ,as it is getting into obscure territory.
I suppose i should point out that pin 12 of the VGA cable has been removed. The problem still occurs.

Here is a link if anyone is interested…
http://nookkin.com/content/allowing-any-sc…on-on-vista.php
So there is no EDID for the computer to recognize , so the computer just sees it as a generic pnp or default monitor .
And no I haven't been able to get the resolutions that the removal of the EDID recognition claims to achieve!

The 12th pin has been removed from the computer end . It wouldn't matter if the same pin was removed (would it) from the computer end as there is no signal to go to ?
Could be relevant that the graphics card has duel DVI output. ?
The DVI-VGA adaptor came with the graphics card.

Thanks and regards,
Zoe
I know this is Zoe's bag now but …

nice info Nahumi :thumbup:

never even occurred to me it could be the monitor, even tho i have to do the same for one of mine in linux. :blush:

:popcorn:


Before anyone goes down this Monitor road ….

We have tried 3 different monitors including my own very modern Samsung and a moderately modern monitor I use for PC building and testing in my charity workshop.

Same resolution problem with all 3 monitors. Go figure :wacko:

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit.
It is worth noting than in XP (dual boot XP and W7) Zoe has NO problems with resolution on her Monitor. She is actually playing GTA 4 in XP at a high resolution with NO problems whatsoever.
your braver than me zoe, i wouldn't of been pulling pins or cutting cables.. :D why can she get all the resolutions in safe mode and not in normal mode? what starts up in win 7 normal mode that would change? only answer i can think of is the driver, yet you've tried with and without nvidia driver and get same result in normal mode. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.. :pullhair: did you try installing the drivers in compatibility modes zoe for vista or xp(use the correct drivers for vista or xp depending on which compatibility mode your trying and not the win7 one) :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI