Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Dell Inspiron B130 can't start up

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Tried to start up my lap top this morning and it brings up an error message: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. If in the first screen I choose "Microsoft windows recovery console" rather than the default "Microsoft windows XP home edition" then it gives a different error message: The file hidusb.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue In either case pressing any key just starts it over. I don't know if its related but I have recently been having issues with our Ipod Shuffles. As of a couple days ago both of our 2 shuffles would get a corrupt message from Itunes whenever plugged in. I was working through the Itunes help section but gave up when I could not delete the Itunes program to install a newer version. I would choose to remove itunes through the control panel and it would think about it for a while and then return a "fatal error" message and give up. Probably not related, but its the only issue I have had lately. What can I do about this missing or corrupt file issue? thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

Also I bought my laptop new from Dell, about 4 years ago. I don't believe it came with a Windows CD. Everything I have read in searching involves using the CD. If the CD is the only way to fix it I am sure I can come up with one. But I could use some easy to follow directions since I am not too tech inclined, and I don't want to make it worse. help.thanks.

#3 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hi there, 4yrs. service from a Laptop is reasonably good going. If you cannot boot it up and you do not have a CD, your only option is to either borrow a CD or take your Laptop to a Tech. You have a small corrupt file issue, it would be cheap to have a Tech. fix it. I'd have him check your OS for Melware too while he is at it. Cheers, Lee

Edited by Lee, 09 September 2010 - 02:33 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Dell will send you the Windows installation CD for about $15.00US Call 1-800-624-9896 They will ask you for your Service Tag Number which is available on a sticky label on the bottom of your machine. Service is easy and prompt in my experience, receiving the CD within the same week. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

What is the model number of the Dell? It may come with a recovery partition that you can access at boot time via F11 or Ctrl+F11.

Also, your problem could just be a corrupted file system so please run chkdsk to see if that fixes it.

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and create a bootable CD from the .iso file XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will
do this.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).
Edited -> From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

Edited by Ztruker, 13 September 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

JFoster, There you go, better than I thought. You have 4 options now, not just 2 :thumbup:

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#7 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

Yes, there are the options of F2 for setup or F12 for Boot Menu. The Boot Menu offers choices of: Internal HDD CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive Onboard NIC BIOS Setup Diagnostic The Bios Setup option seems to take me to the same screen as the F2 Setup key, where I can see how to change the boot sequence. I have also noticed that I can press F8 at the OS Choices Menu and go to the Windows Advanced Options Menu where I have these options: safe mode safe mode with networking safe mode with command prompt enable boot logging enable vga mode last known good configuration directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only) debugging mode disable automatic restart on system failure start windows normally reboot return to OS choices menu IDK how to tell if there is a "recovery partition" ... But I'll try to follow any directions given. At this point it looks like I need to order the CD for $15 and set the boot sequence to the CD/DVD drive as directed. I'll get that ordered. Oh, and the model # looks to be PP21L . Thanks for the advice. I'll check back.

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

You might like to try the 'last known good configuration' option. It might solve all your problems by booting from a restore point that existed before any files were corrupted. It won't do any harm to try that first before ordering a CD. Cheers, Lee

#9 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

You might like to try the 'last known good configuration' option.

It might solve all your problems by booting from a restore point that existed before any files were corrupted. It won't do any harm to try that first before ordering a CD.

Cheers,
Lee

Hey thanks. I'll try it and see what happens. If it works what can I do to help keep this from happening again?

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

You might like to try the 'last known good configuration' option.

It might solve all your problems by booting from a restore point that existed before any files were corrupted. It won't do any harm to try that first before ordering a CD.

Cheers,
Lee

Hey thanks. I'll try it and see what happens. If it works what can I do to help keep this from happening again?

I'm not familiar with ipod software as I don't own an ipod, but any software that produces a 'fatal error' message when trying to install it should be avoided!

If you are successful in a restore point boot-up and the offending program is still present and giving problems, check on the Net. to see if a specific program is required to un-install it.

With any new software program you have never used before (especially if it is free), right click it after downloading it to desktop and scan it with your melware or ant-virus program for any nasties. Before installing the program, creating a new restore point is sage advice. Also it is a good idea to chose the 'custom' install option if there is one and at all costs untick those little 'extras' like add-on toolbars and 'make this your homepage' options etc.

If you still want to remove the ipod shuffles program, check your restore points to see if one was auto-created by your OS when you installed the shuffles software. You will have the option of doing a system restore to before that point. The program should then be gone and so should any file damage it may have caused.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee, 10 September 2010 - 04:09 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

If it works what can I do to help keep this from happening again?

The advice above from Lee regarding Application programs that may be causing the problem should have your attention.

MOving on to general usage...

During "shut-down" Windows saves your recently produced changes, returning processes and files to long-term storage on your Hard Drive.

Configuration errors in both Operating System (like Windows XP) and Application Programs (like MS Office) most often occur when the machine is not allowed sufficient time to shut-down all the elements of the OS or Application before power is turned off.

Occasionally an unavoidable "crash" will occur, preventing Windows from completing the usual shut-down.
Occasionally a power failure will occur, interrupting Windows during the shut-down sequence.
Some routine maintenance utilities such as Defrag and CheckDisk are particularly susceptible to configuration errors if interrupted before completion.
__________________-

Always allow Windows sufficient time to complete shut-down before power is turned off.
(i.e., avoid using the power-button to cause a hard-shut-down)

If you know that a lightning storm is headed your way, consider turning off your computer (and other appliances) before surges and brown-outs begin affecting your location.

An Uninterpretable Power Supply has battery back-up power available to give the user several minutes to complete a Windows Shut Down in an orderly fashion before power is lost. This additional utility is highly recommended, though most often ignored by folks... until it is too late. Consider it seriously.

Finally, use your machine within its reasonable performance range.

Having excessive instances of applications and windows open at the same time can over-burden your system.
Open programs when you are using them. Close them when you are finished using them.

By way of a "bad example" I presently have
-two instances of Firefox open, each with more than a dozen tabs open.
-one instance of Internet Explorer open, with 3 tabs open
-one intensive web-connected database application open
-one instance of MS Outlook open
-two instances of Windows Explorer open
-two instances of MS Excel open
-18 instances of MS Word open

Even though this old machine is/was a good one for its time and origin, the above load is more than I am comfortable having open at one time.
I should finish the Word documents, save them and close them, then open only one of them or just a very few at a time.
Having two browsers open is generally fine, but number of tabs open may be a burden depending upon whether there are downloads or streaming media involved.

MS Excel can be demanding, and should probably not be used when a large number of other programs are running.

This machine will probably be just fine, and everything will save and close properly....
But if something did happen to crash.... I would sure loose a lot of work in progress.
I have started and become distracted/interrupted in the middle of a sequence of projects. Not good.
That's why I mention it as a "bad example".

Better to open Applications when you are using them actively, and close them when not in use.

#12 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

If it works what can I do to help keep this from happening again?

I presently have
-two instances of Firefox open, each with more than a dozen tabs open.
-one instance of Internet Explorer open, with 3 tabs open
-one intensive web-connected database application open
-one instance of MS Outlook open
-two instances of Windows Explorer open
-two instances of MS Excel open
-18 instances of MS Word open

Wow Doug,

That sounds just like being married :popcorn:

Cheers,
Lee

#13 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

:rofl:

#14 JFoster

JFoster

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Well no deal. Brought up the same missing or corupted file message. I'll get the CD ordered. I don't know how the Ipod/ Itunes could have caused this ... as we have had them for a couple years with no issues. But a week or so ago I plugged them in and Itunes displayed a message to the effect "Itunes has detected an Ipod that is corrupted". So in trying to delete Itunes I discovered that it won't delete. I was following the directions on their site, which was just to go to the add or remove programs section and choose remove. Doing this would just cause it to wait a few seconds and return a fatal error message, but the program remained. I was going to ask here about how else I should try to remove it but then this larger issue came up.

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

Did you run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console as I mentioned? I don't see any mention of that in your posts.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown