I replaced my harddrive with no problems, installed all the drivers, connected to the internet, but noe I have HUGE fonts and icons and websites. I have to scroll vertically and horizontally to see everything. How do I fix this? I am running Windows XP and reinstalled the OS…
As I was re-reading this topic I noticed I wasn't sure whether this was a browser related problem or a problem which also occurs on the desktop.
If the latter is the case, please try the above.
If the problem actually only occurs in browsers, please check the browser settings.
the problem appears both online and on the desktop. I already checked your first suggestion, it was set to normal. There is about 1/2" free/unused perimeter on all sides of the display, the desktop icons are rather large, and I have to scroll vertically and horizontally to read whatever page the internet is showing. When I got this PC 6 years ago I changed the settings with some help, just cant remember how…
Hi,
Assuming you installed the video driver OK then try this:
1 Right click on a blank area of the desktop
2 Click on Properties
3 Select the "Settings" tab
4 Adjust the slider to the resolution you want for your screen
See how you go
Regards
paws
You could also try checking your DPI.
From the same Display Properties screen, click on "Advanced". In the General tab, there should be a drop-down box. Ensure that DPI is set to "Normal size (96 DPI)"
I'd also check screen resolution as it might be way too low!
Right click on desktop and click on 'resolution'. Set it higher until everything is about correct size (the quick and dirty method).
Lee, I tried that, but a right click only shows arrage icons by, refresh, new and properties. Did not see resolution anywhere.
Nahumi, DPI is set to 96
Paws, the slider doesnt move!
the following was under troubleshooting…mine shows DEFAULT monitor. But the properties tab is grat and wont open…
Is the correct monitor selected in your display settings?
Make sure that the correct monitor appears in Display properties. If the wrong monitor is selected, Windows might not use the full capabilities of your monitor, and you might be restricted in your choice of screen resolutions.
To check your monitor selection
Open Display Properties in Control Panel.
Click the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Monitor tab.
The monitor that is selected for your computer is displayed under Monitor Type.
If correct monitor isn't listed, click Properties.
Click the Driver tab, and then click Update driver.
After the Hardware Update Wizard starts, click Install from a list or specific location, and then click Next.
Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, and then click Next. This provides a list of monitor manufacturers and models.
In Manufacturers, click the manufacturer of your monitor, and then in Models, click the model name.
If your monitor isn't listed, click (Standard monitor type) in Manufacturers, and then choose the most compatible setting for your monitor in Models.
Click Next, and then click Next again.
Note
To open Display Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
Does selecting the correct monitor solve the problem?
No, I still have a problem. Or, the correct monitor was already selected.
Yes, this solves the problem.
I want to skip this step and try something else.
Are you sure you installed the correct Display Drivers?
Do you have a dedicated graphics card, or are you relying on the inbuilt graphics chip?
Is the machine self built? If so can you provide all the system specifications. If it's manufactured, can you provide the make and model number?
Why did you reinstall Windows XP?
There is a code R57664 for the moniter driver, that appears under DRIVERS in WE.
I'm not sure whether it is a graphic chip or card
Bought from dell 2400
my HD took a dump on me!
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME-EZ4TMZVE6P
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 2400
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2392 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 12/2/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HOME-EZ4TMZVE6P\Owner
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 763.59 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.98 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
the following were found under problem devices/system summary/system information. No wonder the display is not normal and I have no sound. It looks like I have no drivers for them….
Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_01601028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&FD The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_01601028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&10 The drivers for this device are not installed.
X5400 Series USB\VID_043D&PID_0147&MI_00\6&397DC90C&0&0000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Okay, your screen resolution should be set to 1078 x 768, assuming that you haven't replaced it since you bought the machine.
Also, assuming that you haven't upgraded any components, you will be using an inbuilt graphics chip. Please download and install the driver from the following website :
Click on Video at the bottom and download "845 G/GL Integrated Video" driver. Install the driver and restart your machine to see if it works.
P.S. Sorry, didn't see your last post. For each of those drivers, right click them and click Update Driver. Then let Windows download them from the internet. That might solve the problems too.