Hardware
Dell Dimension S-L-O-W - Probably hardware
20 min read
solo58
Topic Starter
Help!
I've run Malware bytes, I have AVG and it's up to date.
I've rebooted and reloaded XP and Office.
Still runs slow.
Any suggestions?
Jimbo1
Hiya Solo58, sorry to hear about your problems.
Help us help you.
1. What brand/model is your machine?
2. DeskTop / LabTop ?
3. How Much Memory you have.
4. Saw that you said XP, is it Home, XP Pro? - Current Version SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?
5. You said that you reloaded XP and Office, by that did you mean reinstalled the OS and if so Did you install all the drivers for the machine.
6. What caused you to reload the Operating system in the first place?.
By providing more information gives us here at WTT the info needed to try and help you with your problems. Please Report back with all the info requested for a Tech to Assist you with your system.
Thanks,
Jimbo1
solo58
Thanks for reaching out to me, Jimbo,
This is a Dell Dimension 2300, Desktop. It runs on an Intel Pentium 4 at 1.8 GHz
Complete technical specifications are highlighted in the URL below.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…ecs.htm#1101572
3. I updated to 640 M RAM …to improve the speed….
4. I've loaded Microsoft XP, Home edition, Version 2.2 with SP3
5. Yes, I reinstalled the OS including the drivers from Dell…(not easy).
6. I reloaded the OS, because I thought that over the years, the registry might have gotten corrupted and a clean sweep would help speed it up.
Sincerely,
Tom
This is a Dell Dimension 2300, Desktop. It runs on an Intel Pentium 4 at 1.8 GHz
Complete technical specifications are highlighted in the URL below.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…ecs.htm#1101572
3. I updated to 640 M RAM …to improve the speed….
4. I've loaded Microsoft XP, Home edition, Version 2.2 with SP3
5. Yes, I reinstalled the OS including the drivers from Dell…(not easy).
6. I reloaded the OS, because I thought that over the years, the registry might have gotten corrupted and a clean sweep would help speed it up.
Sincerely,
Tom
Jimbo1
Question? You said you updated to 640 M ram, did you mean that you now have a total of 640 megs of ran or 640 was added to what ran you have in the system. Mismatch ram can cause a slow down in the system.
Let us know what type you have, several things you can do also:
1. Try running a memory test here are the links of how to do this.
http://www.memtest.org/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top"
2. Need more info of what your machine is doing, follow these instructions, listed below.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests
Here's how:
You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others)
Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)
Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.
The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.
Please post the URL internet address from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.
Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.
After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.
It would also be good to see what is starting when you boot your computer. Install and run CodeStuff Starter. Here is the link.
http://codestuff.tripod.com/products_starter.html
Select the Startups tab then click on File, save as plain text.
Copy and paste that info here.
Jimbo
Let us know what type you have, several things you can do also:
1. Try running a memory test here are the links of how to do this.
http://www.memtest.org/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top"
2. Need more info of what your machine is doing, follow these instructions, listed below.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests
Here's how:
You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others)
Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)
Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.
The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.
Please post the URL internet address from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.
Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.
After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.
It would also be good to see what is starting when you boot your computer. Install and run CodeStuff Starter. Here is the link.
http://codestuff.tripod.com/products_starter.html
Select the Startups tab then click on File, save as plain text.
Copy and paste that info here.
Jimbo
solo58
640 M RAM total.
I ran the memory test. No errors.
I ran PCPitstop.
The results are in the URL below.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?c…;report=Summary
CodeStuff Starter Report below.
Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company
"AVG9_TRAY","C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","AVG Tray Monitor (AVG Internet Security)","AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o."
"BCMSMMSG","BCMSMMSG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Modem Messaging Applet (BCM Modem Messaging Applet)","Broadcom Corporation"
"ctfmon.exe","C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe","Registry - User Run","1","CTF Loader (Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)","Microsoft Corporation"
"HotKeysCmds","C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","hkcmd Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"
"IgfxTray","C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","igfxTray Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"
"swg",""C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"","Registry - User Run","0","GoogleToolbarNotifier","Google Inc."
I ran the memory test. No errors.
I ran PCPitstop.
The results are in the URL below.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?c…;report=Summary
CodeStuff Starter Report below.
Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company
"AVG9_TRAY","C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","AVG Tray Monitor (AVG Internet Security)","AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o."
"BCMSMMSG","BCMSMMSG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Modem Messaging Applet (BCM Modem Messaging Applet)","Broadcom Corporation"
"ctfmon.exe","C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe","Registry - User Run","1","CTF Loader (Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)","Microsoft Corporation"
"HotKeysCmds","C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","hkcmd Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"
"IgfxTray","C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","igfxTray Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"
"swg",""C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"","Registry - User Run","0","GoogleToolbarNotifier","Google Inc."
Jimbo1
Solo58,
You got a lot going on; let’s try to tidy up some of the issues I see.
1. Here is what I see and what has me concerned. Did you add 128 Meg memory stick to the 512 or did you add 512 to your 128 stick, as I said the memory speed if it is mismatched will slow down a computer. (Examples are pc 2800 400 mhz, pc 3300 333 mhz) this is what I ran into a few times that caused slowdowns, meaning faster ram has to slow down to slower ram is not installed right.
You need to be sure the speed (MHZ) are the same for both memory sticks and take a look at your mother board config to see how the memory must be placed. Some motherboards have you install from lowest to highest.
2. Need to update all of your drivers, the test shows many have not pass the test:
Be sure to check your Chipset, Video, Sound, LAN, USB drivers again check under your device manager to be sure they were all install correctly.
Go to control panel and check in your device manager window to be sure all the drivers were installed. = Chipset, Video, LAN, Sound, Modem if you have one. Because if any were not installed or installed the correct way it could cause you problems.
3. You need to update windows to all the current updates. (Hot fixes) If your window was not updated to the current service pack, this could be causing you problems. Also check all optional updates. Check all but the Windows Search 4.0; hide that one because Windows Search will slow a system down.
4. Big problem from what I see, you have AVG, Everest Home and Iobit Security running, these at the same time is hogging down the performance of your cpu. You can only have 1 AV running. I would do this also:
Use IOBit manually, switch from AVG (heavy resource hog) to MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Uninstall Ask Toolbar, and then delete the entire folder
5. The spec’s shows only 27 gig hard drive, make sure that you are not running out of disk space.
After you have finished all the updates for windows and updated all the drivers, go back to pitstop and run a performance test again.
You got a lot going on; let’s try to tidy up some of the issues I see.
1. Here is what I see and what has me concerned. Did you add 128 Meg memory stick to the 512 or did you add 512 to your 128 stick, as I said the memory speed if it is mismatched will slow down a computer. (Examples are pc 2800 400 mhz, pc 3300 333 mhz) this is what I ran into a few times that caused slowdowns, meaning faster ram has to slow down to slower ram is not installed right.
You need to be sure the speed (MHZ) are the same for both memory sticks and take a look at your mother board config to see how the memory must be placed. Some motherboards have you install from lowest to highest.
2. Need to update all of your drivers, the test shows many have not pass the test:
Be sure to check your Chipset, Video, Sound, LAN, USB drivers again check under your device manager to be sure they were all install correctly.
Go to control panel and check in your device manager window to be sure all the drivers were installed. = Chipset, Video, LAN, Sound, Modem if you have one. Because if any were not installed or installed the correct way it could cause you problems.
3. You need to update windows to all the current updates. (Hot fixes) If your window was not updated to the current service pack, this could be causing you problems. Also check all optional updates. Check all but the Windows Search 4.0; hide that one because Windows Search will slow a system down.
4. Big problem from what I see, you have AVG, Everest Home and Iobit Security running, these at the same time is hogging down the performance of your cpu. You can only have 1 AV running. I would do this also:
Use IOBit manually, switch from AVG (heavy resource hog) to MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Uninstall Ask Toolbar, and then delete the entire folder
5. The spec’s shows only 27 gig hard drive, make sure that you are not running out of disk space.
After you have finished all the updates for windows and updated all the drivers, go back to pitstop and run a performance test again.
solo58
Sorry about that. Here it goes again.
Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company
"AVG9_TRAY","C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","AVG Tray Monitor (AVG Internet Security)","AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o."
"BCMSMMSG","BCMSMMSG.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Modem Messaging Applet (BCM Modem Messaging Applet)","Broadcom Corporation"
"ctfmon.exe","C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe","Registry - User Run","1","CTF Loader (Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)","Microsoft Corporation"
"HotKeysCmds","C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","hkcmd Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"
"IgfxTray","C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","igfxTray Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation"
"swg",""C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"","Registry - User Run","0","GoogleToolbarNotifier","Google Inc."
(looks the same though …hmmm
I opened Starter.
I insured that I was at the Startups tab
I saved a plain text..
Copied all the text from the file
and posted here.
How do I know starter is running? Does it automatically run when I open it?
Jimbo1
I did a re check with my system and it was the correct one, guess you did not have much running. But take a look at my post before this one, and read over what I have posted.
solo58
OK - Lots to do.
I checked the memory, and it's as you noted; there's one 128M stick and one 512M stick. I'm guessing I need to get another 512M stick….ch.ching!
How do I update all the drivers? I thought, when I reinstalled XP, using Dells driver disk, that that would take care of everything. Could you walk me through how to update, in what order, what to look out for, etc?
Likewise, I need some guidance on updating windows.
What is IOBit?
Out of the 27G capacity (I know, not much in today's world, but good enough for yours truly) I have 15M available. That shouldn't be the problem, should it?
Jimbo1
1. I checked the memory, and it's as you noted; there's one 128M stick and one 512M stick. I'm guessing I need to get another 512M stick….ch.ching!
No, what I was asking is the first slot - 128 stick and the 2nd slot 512 and if so what is the specs and speed of those sticks.
Example: 128 MB Sync, PC-133 MHZ CL2 / 512 MB Sync, PC-100 MHZ – Note of the 512 stick is slower memory then the system may or may not slow down.
2. How do I update all the drivers? I thought, when I reinstalled XP, using Dells driver disk, that that would take care of everything. Could you walk me through how to update, in what order, what to look out for, etc?
All you do is click on start, all programs and look for windows up-date at the top of the list. Keep on updating until no more are found.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000545.htm
3. What is IOBit? - IObit Security 360 is what you have installed on your system.
So Use IOBit manually, do not let it run automatically. Switch from AVG (heavy resource hog) to MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Uninstall Ask Toolbar, and then delete the entire folder
4. Out of the 27G capacity (I know, not much in today's world, but good enough for yours truly) I have 15M available. That shouldn't be the problem, should it? Should not be but that’s cutting it close.
From what I see you know a little from these other topics you have also.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…t=0&start=0
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=114179
TBH there is not a whole lot we many not be able to do, You have an Intel Celeron which is inherently slow. Once you have done the listed above you can try this:
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.
Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.
These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websi…ndows-xp-vista/ <– Jimbo consider link to Netspuirrel for similar/less commercial and better recommended information. http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
Also, you can try this:
How to clean up your hard drive to increase free space NOW!, Windows Made Easy
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=100889
How to free up space on your hard drive - long term, Windows Made Easy
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=104473
Jimbo
No, what I was asking is the first slot - 128 stick and the 2nd slot 512 and if so what is the specs and speed of those sticks.
Example: 128 MB Sync, PC-133 MHZ CL2 / 512 MB Sync, PC-100 MHZ – Note of the 512 stick is slower memory then the system may or may not slow down.
2. How do I update all the drivers? I thought, when I reinstalled XP, using Dells driver disk, that that would take care of everything. Could you walk me through how to update, in what order, what to look out for, etc?
All you do is click on start, all programs and look for windows up-date at the top of the list. Keep on updating until no more are found.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000545.htm
3. What is IOBit? - IObit Security 360 is what you have installed on your system.
So Use IOBit manually, do not let it run automatically. Switch from AVG (heavy resource hog) to MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Uninstall Ask Toolbar, and then delete the entire folder
4. Out of the 27G capacity (I know, not much in today's world, but good enough for yours truly) I have 15M available. That shouldn't be the problem, should it? Should not be but that’s cutting it close.
From what I see you know a little from these other topics you have also.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…t=0&start=0
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=114179
TBH there is not a whole lot we many not be able to do, You have an Intel Celeron which is inherently slow. Once you have done the listed above you can try this:
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.
Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.
These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websi…ndows-xp-vista/ <– Jimbo consider link to Netspuirrel for similar/less commercial and better recommended information. http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
Also, you can try this:
How to clean up your hard drive to increase free space NOW!, Windows Made Easy
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=100889
How to free up space on your hard drive - long term, Windows Made Easy
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=104473
Jimbo
solo58
Many thanks Jimbo, for all this support.
One at a time.
In slot 1 - there's a Micron Tech device with 128M, SDRAM (PC133), 133 MHz.
In slot 2 - there's a Micron Tech device with 512M, SDRAM (PC133), 133 MHz.
Looks like at least the speeds are the same.
I'll continue working on the other stuff you suggested.
Jimbo1
Many thanks Jimbo, for all this support.
One at a time.
In slot 1 - there's a Micron Tech device with 128M, SDRAM (PC133), 133 MHz.
In slot 2 - there's a Micron Tech device with 512M, SDRAM (PC133), 133 MHz.
Looks like at least the speeds are the same.
I'll continue working on the other stuff you suggested.
Good at least that clears that issue. As long as they are the same speed, and slotting from lowest to highest is the correct way. 1 down more to go
solo58
I've uninstalled AVG, Everest and IOB, and installed MSE. Ran a scan, no virus'…whew.
Should I also be running ad-aware, or is that also redundant?
Jimbo1
I've uninstalled AVG, Everest and IOB, and installed MSE. Ran a scan, no virus'…whew.
Should I also be running ad-aware, or is that also redundant?
TBH, Adaware on your system would end up slowing it down more, remember you have a low end machine, I found that Adware or as I call it bloat ware will hog a system down.
MSE is good, but if you want to find a good scanner for spyware, look around for one that can be used just as a scanner, meaning one thats not loading up upon startup of a system, also be sure to install Malwarebytes Anti-malware, run it as a manual scanner - meaning you must run the program.
With the tips we gave you the machine should be doing ok for what you got.
Jimbo1
Jaydeee
try cleaning up computer with ccleaner to remove unwanted files, you may also run its registry cleaner which is another good feature of ccleaner. <– registry issues/cleaner NOT recommended by WTT
try also dskchk /r which will try to check bad sectors of your hdd and remove files that may be staying there.
your windows driver should also be updated try >> hxxp://xpdrivers.com/ <– NOT recommended by WTT
I hope it helps
try also dskchk /r which will try to check bad sectors of your hdd and remove files that may be staying there.
your windows driver should also be updated try >> hxxp://xpdrivers.com/ <– NOT recommended by WTT
I hope it helps
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI