This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Slow Laptop - Must be Hardware, not infected

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes, XP does make several logs during installation. The one we need is setuperr.log and should be located in C:\Windows . If you'd like me to have a look at it, please put it into a .zip file and attach it to your next post. (Note : It has to be a .zip file. The forum won't let you upload a .rar file.). My gut feeling is that either your XP Installation disc is faulty, which is certainly possible, or your hard drive really is damaged. After I have a look at the error log I can advise you on the next steps. I think just for peace of mind it would be worth doing a clean installation. This will guarantee that XP will be working normally, assuming that your hard drive is fully functioning.
OK - I did a clean install, and it seems to be stable… But I can't seem to find the right driver for the Network Controller. It's still a yellow question mark in the device manager, and all the drivers I've loaded are not effecting it. Additionally, I'm not seeing any wireless connections, so I can't connect that laptop to the internet. How do I determine the exact type of Network Controller Driver I need? There is only generic information in the Device Manager windows.
Worked great Nahumi, though I don't like working with the Intel Connection Utility. Can I remove the utility from the bottom right hand corner? How did you know to use this driver? I've loaded MSE as my virus protection. I'm reloading my old applications and transferring my data back to the lap top. So far, it's working pretty good. Any suggestions to keep it fast?
This is how you use Windows to manage your connection instead of the Intel Connection Utility:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-025789.htm

Dell will always have the relevant drivers for all their products. If you're missing a driver, the first stop should always be http://support.dell.com/ .It's just a case of looking to find a specific driver.

As for keeping it fast, nothing beats a bit of general maintenance. In terms of hardware, try to clean out the dust every two weeks or so. If it's in a dusty room, you might want to do it every week.

In terms of software, there are a couple of good practices that you could adopt.

1. Don't install too many unnecessary applications.
2. Similarly, only install one type of program. So don't have 3 anti-viral programs, or 5 media players. Just stick with one to do each job.
3. Choose the right applications from the start. For example, use Google Chrome instead of IE.
4. Manage what applications start when your computer boots. Go to "run" and type "msconfig". Head over to the "Startup" tab and untick any applications which you don't want to start when your computer does. Then click apply.
5. Regularly clean out your Recycle Bin and your Download folder.
6. Optimise the running of XP using this :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417
7. Don't bother using Registry Cleaners. You're risking permanent damage to your registry by using these.

Other than that, it comes down to common sense really. One tip I can give you is to install a bit more RAM. If you're doing anything particularly intensive, having at least 2GB of RAM will certainly help.

Anyway, I'm glad it's working again. Post back if you get any problems again. ^_^
I wanted to send you a note that everything is working like a dream…then the audio started getting scratchy again…I tried reloading the driver, but it does seem to want to load using the wizard.
To check the hard drive again, go to your start menu and click on "run". Type in "cmd" and hit enter. When the command prompt window pops up, type in "chkdsk /f /r". What's your sound setup? Are you using headphones, speakers, or both? Cheers, Nahumi
Sorry, I'm not clear - What you mean by "Sound Setup." - I normally use headphones. I removed the headphones and just used the speaker on the laptop, and got the same crackle distorted sound.

I ran chkdsk /f/r…(I thought WTT didn't endorse chkdsk)…Part 4, especially, took a million years to finish.
I pulled the results from the event viewer in Applications (see below)

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 9/21/2010
Time: 5:01:42 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SOLITAR-14P7WC1
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 522 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 522 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 522 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal…
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)…
Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0x1c0032000 for 0x2000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0x1c0033000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 110955
of name \PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\CLIPART\PUB60COR\J0152594.WMF.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)…
Free space verification is complete.
Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

78075899 KB total disk space.
68329112 KB in 99996 files.
31900 KB in 6211 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
190435 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
9524448 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19518974 total allocation units on disk.
2381112 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
c0 d3 01 00 eb 9e 01 00 70 3d 02 00 00 00 00 00 ……..p=……
8d 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 ac 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 …………….
00 16 d6 36 00 00 00 00 42 c1 6a b9 00 00 00 00 …6….B.j…..
26 55 d7 52 00 00 00 00 b4 ed 01 24 74 00 00 00 &U.R…….$t…
3a d8 94 75 01 00 00 00 0c e8 93 05 77 00 00 00 :..u……..w…
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 88 38 07 00 9c 86 01 00 ..6……8……
00 00 00 00 00 60 7a 4a 10 00 00 00 43 18 00 00 …..`zJ….C…

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.


For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
"Chkdsk" is a standard Windows diagnostic feature, I'm not sure why anyone would actively advise people not to use it. I think in the post you're referring to, Jimbo was just acknowledging that it wasn't advice that was given by WTT. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. He just meant that you should be careful about the advice given by anyone not on the WTT team.

As for the sound problem, it could be a bad connection on your motherboard. I'm assuming that when you swapped the headphones for the speakers, you used the same audio jack input? Have you tried using the input at the front of the machine to see whether the crackle is still there?

As for the chkdsk report, it seems okay. A bad cluster is not necessarily a good thing, but it's fairly isolated and Windows has fixed it. All the sectors seem fine, which is good news. I don't think that your hard drive is to blame for the scratchy audio.

When you said you tried reinstalling the driver, exactly what error did you get? Did you download the driver directly from the Dell website, and did you uninstall the old audio driver first?
Audio is fine for about 3 seconds, then it starts to "crackle." (Buffer?) It happens with web based sounds and when I play a CD. don't know what else to say.

Audio is fine for about 3 seconds, then it starts to "crackle." (Buffer?)
It happens with web based sounds and when I play a CD.
don't know what else to say.


As for the sound problem, it could be a bad connection on your motherboard. I'm assuming that when you swapped the headphones for the speakers, you used the same audio jack input?

Have you tried using the input at the front of the machine to see whether the crackle is still there?

Several things come to mind here, if as you said the sound started working fine and then it starts back up.

1. Sound like to me there is a short in the plug to where you are plugging in the headphones or a bad connections are their others to try? if so then try it. Have you tryed a differant set of headphones?
2. Just playing through the labtop speakers, do you get the same crackling sound?
3. Could be a failing sound card or chip on the morther board.

Something you might want to try after testing the above, look for driver thats below or above your drivers, not saying this may help but sometimes when I used drivers that were below or about the current machines driver took care of the problem.

My 2 cents

Sorry for adding to this Nahumi

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI