This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Browsers keep locking up and rebooting PC

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

PC locks up whether im online or not.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:52:58 PM, on 8/13/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
C:\Program Files\Micro Innovations\Wireless Laser Mouse\moffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Micro Innovations\Wireless Laser Mouse\MOUSE32A.DAT
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRshutA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\VZAccess Manager\VZAccess Manager.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\YTSingleInstance.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMOFFICE4DMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Micro Innovations\Wireless Laser Mouse\moffice.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USRpdA] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\USRmlnkA.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-USRpdA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} - https://objects.aol.com/mcafee/molbin/share…83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} - https://objects.aol.com/mcafee/molbin/share…,20/McGDMgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {FFB3A759-98B1-446F-BDA9-909C6EB18CC7} (PCPitstop Exam) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/Optimize3/pcpitstop2.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{20435D78-DBE3-41F6-AD4D-DA2DCEEE7FF7}: NameServer = 66.174.95.44 69.78.96.14
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iolo FileInfoList Service (ioloFileInfoList) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
O23 - Service: iolo System Service (ioloSystemService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

–
End of file - 7754 bytes
Hi homer5ive

My name is Blottedisk, I'll be happy to assist you with all your malware problems you have on your computer. Solving any malware-related problem may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine. Before we start fixing your computer, there are a few points you need to know:

  • Please don't start a new topic, but reply on this one.
  • If you don't understand something, please ask!
  • If you find any new problems and/or details, please post them!
  • If you are unresponsive to this thread within three days, the thread will be locked due to inactivity. However, if you will be away, let us know and we will be sure to keep the thread open.
  • As I'm still in training at What The Tech, all my posts needs to be checked by an expert first. This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process. Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

Remember: absence of symptoms does not mean your computer is clean.

Reply to this topic until I say your computer is clean. Please bear with me, I will post back to you as soon as I can.
Hi there,

How often does the computer lock up/reboot? What about the browsers?
Please follow these steps in order:


Step 1 | Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:

This is THE Mirror

——————————————————————–

  • Save it to your desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under Custom Scan paste this in

    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    mv61xx.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %systemdrive%\*.sys /90 /md5
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
  • You may need two posts to fit them both in.

Step 2 | Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:

Main Mirror - This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
Zipped Mirror - This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.

——————————————————————–

  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.

Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

[external image: Posted Image]

  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system…click NO.
  • Make sure all options are checked except:
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive, which is typically C:\
    • Show All (This is important, so do not miss it.)

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it

  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save… button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.

– If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.
Ok before I got a reply. I went out and bought System Mechanic by iolo. It scanned and found 1130 registry errors and fixed them. Ever since it fixed those errors, I havent had any lock ups BUT….Now whenever I start up the PC, windows installer is trying to install something about a fax. I have to keep clicking cancel and eventually after about 30 cancels, it goes away.. I contacted iolo tech support since I had a free yrs worth of tech help. The accessed my computer remotely and showed all these problems that I had. Then he said I would have to pay almost 200 dollars for him to fix it. So much for the 1yr free tech support. I hung up and called The Gek Squad at Best Buy to see what they would charge. I was told that I didnt need to bring it in and that all I had to do was reinstall windows and it would take care of the problem. Before I decided to go through the hell of that option, I thought I would let you know and maybe there was an easier route or maybe all of this was wrong and you can lead me in the right direction.
Hi there,


We never recommend the use of registry cleaners/fixers; they just don´t worth it. The following articles explain why:

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?
Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools


Regarding to the printer messeage you receive at logon, save the image as .jpg and then try to upload it. Anyway, let´s have a deeper look in your system to determine if it´s malware related. Please perform the instructions I gave you in my previous post and paste OTL and gmer results in your next reply.
Ok im going to scan friday , the only time I have to do it. If all esle fails I will just wipe windows and start over.
You are welcome, thanks for letting us know :thumbup:


Reinstalling Windows will probably solve those issues, but it will not remove malware from your system because the malware would still be among your hard-drive files (unless you also reformat your hard drive). In any case, once you finish reinstalling it, you are welcome to open a new thread here (or reopen this one again) to have a look at your system and see if there´s anything nasty.


By the way, here´s a tutorial that might help you reinstalling (repairing) Windows XP:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/49956…ll-windows.html


Another one about Reformating and Reinstalling Windows:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=91962


Please feel free to open a new thread at the Windows forum to request more help concerning to this procedure:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119


Regards,
Blottedisk.
Sorry, I have just noticed that you edited your post again. If you still want to post the logs go ahead, I´ll take a look at them and see if we can do something :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI