This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

indexing and messenger

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Dell 4600, xp, sp3 Because I care more for pc speed than search speed, I did not want to index so I made two adjustments; 1-I unchecked the box in C:>file>properties>indexing 2-services.msc, I changed to disable from automatic. Are these ok? Also: I noticed while in servces.msc 'messenger' which pointed out, on the margin, it was not Win messenger and explained its connectivity function. I changed that from disable to automatic. Is this accurate? Thank you for the help
Hey Peter1, That should be fine. Never liked indexing myself to be honest. With the messenger, are you wanting it to start when your PC starts, or are you trying to stop it from starting? There are other services that you could disable to speed up your system, but usually maintaining it properly should do the job. Hope that helps, Nahumi
First, I am glad to hear that indexing is set ok.
Secondly,
I have Win IM but I think that is different from messenger.
You said, "With the messenger, are you wanting it to start when your PC starts, or are you trying to stop it from starting?"
The only messenger I found in services.msc was not Win messenger; it referred to 'Alerter messages'. It further talked about 'net sends between servers and clients'.
I do not know if my new settings are correct for this particular messenger. I do not know if this should start with when the pc starts or not.
Please see the attachment which I hope illustrates the 'messenge' I refer to. Should this one be disabled? Regarding indexing, I found 3 places to disable it and did not know if any 1 of them or all 3 had to be done. One was add/remove, the second was in services.msc and the third was the check box we discussed in the previous post>C:>file>properties.
Right, okay. You should probably disable that service. According to the Microsoft website it's a possible security flaw :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…e/stopspam.mspx

I think they removed that service from Vista onwards.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI