Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Programs wont respond and Puter Freezes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything that has to do with Shadow Project and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a services problem
Post back with the results
Auslogics Defrag | JkDefrag l TweakUIXP l WhoCrashed l Norton Removal Tool l Avast l Malwarebytes l SuperAntiSpyware l ATF (This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 only) l FireFox l How To Make FireFox Faster l Memtest86 l Setting Up Memtest86 l Burncdcc l Revo Uninstaller l HDClone l Unlocker l CpuZ l AutoRuns l JavaRa l HD Diagnostics l Erunt l Puppy Linux l Everest l Comodo Firewall l Avira l TFC l Speccy l

Please do not pm me with questions about your topic. Post your questions here so others may learn. If I do not respond to your thread for a long period then please pm me as real life may have kept me away.

rshaffer61

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Unchecked Shadowprotect and Storage craft. Storage craft is actually the external hard drive I back up to.
The puter started ok but it took 2 minutes or so for the System config message to close on the screen.

Question
that message pops up every time I restart. What do I need to do to rectify that? Do I recheck the two boxes in services I unchecked? Should I have clicked on apply?

#18 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

When the message pops up there should be a little box on the lower left or right that says something about check here to stop msconfig from starting.
Once you check that little box the pop up should not happen again.
Auslogics Defrag | JkDefrag l TweakUIXP l WhoCrashed l Norton Removal Tool l Avast l Malwarebytes l SuperAntiSpyware l ATF (This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 only) l FireFox l How To Make FireFox Faster l Memtest86 l Setting Up Memtest86 l Burncdcc l Revo Uninstaller l HDClone l Unlocker l CpuZ l AutoRuns l JavaRa l HD Diagnostics l Erunt l Puppy Linux l Everest l Comodo Firewall l Avira l TFC l Speccy l

Please do not pm me with questions about your topic. Post your questions here so others may learn. If I do not respond to your thread for a long period then please pm me as real life may have kept me away.

rshaffer61

#19 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

OK and thanks. I am still experiencing freezing. The light that indicates that the system is working goes steady. After a while it catches up

#20 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

Ok lets check the disk integrity now.
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

rshaffer61

#21 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

I went online and found a problem re OFFLB.exe. I have renamed that file and everything seems to be a lot better but still thinking about reinstalling from scratch ! Regards ben

#22 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

This is what i found on it.

offlb.exe is a Microsoft Office Program Recovery from Microsoft Corporation belonging to Microsoft Office Program Recovery

Do you have Microsoft Office installed?

rshaffer61

#23 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Yes Microsft Office 2007. The problem has escalated and seems to be getting worse Especially if I have Outlook and IE open together. Thye can also play up individually when only one or the other is open. Seriously considering reinstall over the weekend. I have two 1 terabyte drives. with an external harddrive for backing up to with shadowprotect. Operatiing system is XP Pro. I cant upgrade the operating system because i use a third party software in my work and the third party wont support Windows 7 so Im stuck with that for now. My Motherboard is asus P5q3 with quad processor. 4 gig Corsair Ram. If I start over what configuration of the hard drives would you recommend? I am happy to try a few more things to fix the problem but it is really becoming a pain in the butt. I work from home and its starting to hurt my back pocket. Regards Ben

#24 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

Since this is starting to become a money issue I would not be offended if you wanted to format and start over. What size is your HD that the OS is on? Since it does not seem to be a HD problem I would suggest using the same setup you have now but a fresh install should get you back up and running in 2 hours or less.

rshaffer61

#25 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

With two 1 TB drives, don't you have an image backup of your system when it was working? If not be sure you set one up after you reinstall. It's so much faster to recover from problems like this when all you have to do is restore from your backup. 15 - 20 minutes and your back up and running.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 infinite1

infinite1

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

Originally I had two drives ter each. D was a mirror of C. And yes I have a mirror image of C on an external drive too. Whe the puter first played up I got an external support guy to take the machine away. Rightly or wrongly he broke the mirror. He then partitioned C. C has the operating system and all software in it . and F (the partition has all the date). The problem is that the mirror and the backup all have the problems on them as well as C. My external "Expert" partitioned C and restored the data on the backups to the new partition. the problem with it is ( mybest geuss) is that there is a corruption in my documents and settings which was restored so its behaving exactly the same as it was before he took it away except now I have no mirror image either. My question to you is what set up would you use taking into account the hardware I have. Woudl you do a partition or run the lot on C? Regards Ben

#27 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

I prefer to separate the OS and installed programs from my data. I install to C: and put my data on D: (mostly). This makes it easier to backup my data without the OS and installed programs, which I do to a internet backup site (Acronis). I also backup C: D: E: and F: to a 2nd internal hard drive. These are all done nightly. I use incremental backup for the latter so I always have 10 days I can go back to if a problem occurs.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#28 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

I agree also with Ztruker.
I load my OS and program to one partition while keeping my data safe on another or a completely separate HD.
As i don't do much changing to my system or downloading I only do a backup once a week of my data. I made of a image of my OS partition with all installed programs so if needed I can be back up and running in a few minutes.

rshaffer61