This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

hardware problems on home built pc

51 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone can make any suggestion it would be much appreciated… I am completely stuck!! If I use one one of MY IDE hard drives already formatted with windows XP the system works fine and loads windows XP as should.. I just have no experience with Sata and would really like to learn how to utilize these Sata Hard Drives I have lying around my house. Hello I have no training whatsoever. I just learn by doing. I have an entire room of computers and computer accessories that i have been using to teach myself how to build customs PCs. I have had great success so far but I have an ASUS mother board, Seagate Sata Drive, and windows xp home, or xp professional MCE, giving me problems. I have been beating my head against it for 2 day now. It does not matter what I get running on this I have other hard drives and mother boards also if my problem lies somewhere in there. I even have other OS such as Ubuntu. I just want to get this computer up and running so I can give it to my sister. this is the problem I am having.. I want to do a clean install of a Windows XP OS on a a computer I have built.. I'm not sure what all you need to know because I just kinda wing it when i do this stuff, and follow instructions I find online… It may be a problem with drivers… bios settings… SATA RAID BIOS settings (this is what is new to me)… or simply bad hardware…. List below here is what i know about the hardware…. there is No IDE hard drive. I do not have any of these, just SATAs lying around.. - Sata Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB (there is stuff on this harddrive, but not interested in saving the data) (want a clean OS install of XP preferably, I have Home or Media Center Edition - Asus mother board A7V600-X…. with …. VIA VT8237 Chipset - 2x 512MB DDR & 1x 256MB DDR - Creative CT4760 SoundBlaster Live X Gamer PCI Digital Output Sound Card - ATI Radeon 9600LE 256MB DDR AGP DVI/VGA Video Card w/TV-Out - CD-RW / DVD-ROM Drive - DVD R / RW & CD-R / RW Drive Upon hooking up all the hardware together this are what the screens say when I try to just start the computer without trying to install XP first…. Screen 1- After Asus Start Screen Award Medallion Bios v.6.0, An Energy Star Ally Copyright © 1984-2002, Award Software, INC. ASUS A7V600-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 Award Plug and Play Bios Extension V.1.0A Detecting Primary Slave … None Detecting Secondary Master … Samsung CD-ROM SC-140 Detecting Secondaty Slave … IMW121032IA Primary Master drive fails Hardware Monitor found an error. Enter Power setup menu for details. Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP 09/02/2004-VT8377/VT8237-A7V600-X Screen 2- After Pressing F1 VIA Technologies, Inc.VIA VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utility V2.31 Copyright © VIA Technologies, Inc. All Right Reserved. Scan Devices, Please wait… Press Key into User Window (if you hit tab nothing happens) Hardware Initiate failed, Please Check Device!!! The Bios does not be installed. Press
Here's a picture of your ASUS A7V600-X MotherBoard
Source is ASUS A7V600-X Manual – http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/…73_a7v600-x.pdf

The SATA Hard Drive connects to one of the two black plastic sockets labeled 8 in the picture.
SATA Drive requires the SATA Cable AND a power connector from the PSU.
Do you presently have both cables/connectors in place?

If you do, be sure that they are correctly and fully seated and not wobbly or out of place.

If connecting one SATA Hard Drive to one of the black SATA sockets does not work, consider plugging it into the other black plastic socket

As far as BIOS setting are concerned, DEFAULT will probably serve you well.

You do "NOT" want to complicate this project with SATA-RAID features at this time.

Unplug all Hard Drives except your one SATA HD.

In BIOS change the Boot Order such that machine boots first from CD-ROM

Insert your XP CD and give it a try.

📎Asus_A7v600_x_Mobo.jpg
First off, Thank you very, very much with the speedy reply. Was hoping it would be quick, but was not expecting it to be. Thank you very much for the manual also.. this is a motherboard i received from a friend so it came with no docs or info besides what i read off the board. Yes everything is connect correctly and i have tried both of the sata slots.. both have the same effect.. All I have hooked in is the sata drive..I am having problems with the asus site.. I cant find anything i need there..hahaha..I am not very computer savy… I have reset the BIOS to the Default setting and upon starting the computer up without the XP disc it says … "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" at which i restart the computer with the XP disk… then it get to where it ask repair, install new.. all that.. I choose to install not repair… upon doing this i receive this message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are power on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3" Could it be the hard drive? Should I try other SATA drives???.. IDE does work if you put one in (but I do not want this unit to have IDE just SATA) .. I have another computer with an IDE formatted with Windows XP already and when I put that hard drive into the unit with the ASUS board it boots just fine..
Yes the SATA Hard Drive could be faulty. But I would first suspect the connectors and cables. Plus they are cheaper to replace. :) Try different SATA cable. Does your PSU have SATA Drive power connectors or are you using an adaptor?
for the power i am using an adapter that makes is to the IDE power cord is converted to the SATA power. Both of the cords are brand new out of the bag. first time using them

this is an image of the sata cable i am using
google??


this is an image of my power adapter i am using
techmas



I will try other hard drive real fast too i have bout 6 right here hopefully one will work.


I have tried both of the sata slots also..
Yep. that SATA Cable and that power molex adapter look correct. "If" you can, hook up that molex adapter to the same power line that does work when you have the IDE ATA Hard Drive installed.
yes i have the adapter in P4 the same as my IDE drive when i use it… i have tried 3 other sata drives just now… all hooked up with the same cables in the same slots. 1.) seagate barracuda 320GB – computer would not even turn on with that sata drive in 2.) Toshiba120 BG – computer would not even turn on with that sata drive in 3.) Fujitsu 120GB – computer start and looks like it would load the windows on the drive but gets to windows XP load screen and it just automatically reboots. Any Ideas? This is blowing my mind.. Ha ha ha EDIT: forgot to add that with the Fujitsu hard drive that starts to load then just reboots (even in safe mode) when i run the XP installation CD it says the same thing bout … "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer… ECT" This is now really blowing my mind.. Ha ha ha\
You can probably get into the machine's BIOS by pressing DEL key when booting.
Otherwise look for the prompt (example: Press DEL to enter StartUp, or Press F1 or F2 to enter Starupt/BIOS

once you are in BIOS select the "STANDARD CMOS FEATURES" panel

In Standard CMOS Features, have a look at what the Setting is for IDE Channel 1 Master
It is probably best set to AUTO

AUTO will allow the machine to detect the HD that is presently installed and automatically detect necessary configuration.

If IDE Channel 1 Master is set to "NONE" then the HD you have installed may be toast.
But still click on Enter to review the settings and be sure that AUTO is selected.


_______________________

In ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES…
Be sure that CD ROM is selected for FIRST Boot Device
Be sure that HD is selected for Second Boot Device

Close/Exit BIOS savings changes and allow to boot. (be sure to have your XP installation CD in the CD ROM

During the Boot sequence you will be prompted to Press Any Key to allow boot from CD ROM
Please press any key at the appropriate time.
Pressing DEL key does take me to my systems BIOS.. My system is running the AwardBIOS Setup Utility
I cannot find this "STANDARD CMOS FEATURES" panel that you are talking about.. as i have said before I am not very computer knowledgeable, i just wing it and hope for the best.. ha ha ha


upon enter system BIOS I have 5 main panel headings along the top listed in order from left to right they are…

MAIN
ADVANCED
POWER
BOOT
EXIT


MAIN contains (list from top to bottom)
system time
system date
legacy diskette a [1.44M, 3,5 in]
legacy diskette b [None]
floppy 3 mode support [disabled]
primary mastser [auto]
primary slave [auto]
secondary master [Lite-on combo SOHC-]
secondary slave [hewlett packard DVD]
keyboard features
chassis intrude detection [disabled]
supervisor password [disabled]
user password [disabled]
halt on [all errors]
installed memory [1280 MB]

ADVANCED contains (list from top to bottom)
CPU speed [1300MHz] << (this can be changed to MANUAL, 1300MHz, 1733MHz, 2167MHz, or 2600MHz)
CPU Frequency Multiple [13.0x]
CPU External Frequency (MHz) [100/33]
Memory Frequency (MHz) [auto]
CPU Vcore Setting [auto]
CPU Vcore [1.65v]
CPU Level 1 Cache [Enabled]
CPU Level 2 Cache [Enabled]
PS/2 Mouse Function Control [auto]
USB Legacy Support [auto]
OS/2 Onboard Memory > 64M [disabled]
Instant Music [disabled]
Instant Music CD-ROM [Lite-ON Combo SO]
>Chip Configuration
>I/O Device Configuration
>PCI Configuration

POWER contains (listed top to bottom)
Power Management [user defined]
Video Off Option [suspend -> off]
Video Off Method [DPMS off]
HDD power Down [disabled]
ACPI Suspend to RAM [disabled]
Suspend Mode [disabled]
PWR Button < 4 sec [soft off]
>Power Up Control
>Hardware Monitor

BOOT contains (listed from top to bottom)
1. ATAPI CD-ROM [Lite-On Combo SOHC-4]
2. Removable Device [legacy floppy]
3. IDE Hard Drive [none]
4. Other Boot Device [INT18 Device (Network)]
Plug & Play O/S [no]
Reset Configuration Data [no]
Quick Power on Self Test [enabled]
Boot up Floppy Seek [disabled]
Full Screen Logo [enabled]
Interrupt Mode [APIC]

EXIT contains (listed from top to bottom)
Exit & Save Changes
Exit & Discard Changes
Load Setup Defaults
Discard Changes
Save Changes




I am not familiar with having to change things in the BIOS besides boot order.. sorry as i said… i just wing things and hope for the best… I tried to describe the screens so maybe you could help me with finding the panel or a similar one to what you suggested.
Sorry to be such a novice…


if you would like the details for the Chip, I/O device, or PCI Configuration please just ask and you shall receive.
if you would like the details for the Hardware Monitor just and and you shall receive also…

Again thanks for all the help so far and in the future
There are so many BIOS Setup configurations that I simply cannot remember them all, or in truth even any.

So I have to "check" the basics as they ought to be presented.

Your machine's Advanced, appears to be set appropriately to identify Drive hardware.

the next portion that is of interest is:

BOOT contains (listed from top to bottom)
1. ATAPI CD-ROM [Lite-On Combo SOHC-4]
2. Removable Device [legacy floppy]
3. IDE Hard Drive [none] <– This is the item that should read "AUTO" and should be in 2nd positon after ATAPI CD-ROM which is correctly in 1st position)
4. Other Boot Device [INT18 Device (Network)]
Plug & Play O/S [no]
Reset Configuration Data [no]
Quick Power on Self Test [enabled]
Boot up Floppy Seek [disabled]
Full Screen Logo [enabled]
Interrupt Mode [APIC]

EXIT contains (listed from top to bottom)
Exit & Save Changes
Exit & Discard Changes
Load Setup Defaults
Discard Changes
Save Changes


Take another look to see if you have option to change the item marked above in favor of 2nd position and AUTO
If you are able to make the changes, then Exit - Saving Changes Then allow to Boot with XP install CD in CD-ROM, remembering to "Press any key" to enable boot from XP install CD
for IDE Hard Drive.. the only options i have are none or disable… there is no IDE hard drive in the machine .. just the Fujitsu 120GB Sata on SATA1 socket of the motherboard.
if you go back to my first post and review what Screen 2 says it has changed now that i have the Fujitsu 120GB SATA in the unit. It now says…. VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT8237 Serial ATA RAID BIOS Setting Utlity V2.31 Copyright © VIA Technologies, Inc. All Right reserved Scan Devices, Please Wait…. Pres Key into user Window! Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device Serial_Ch1 Master: Fujitsu MHV212BH PL then i can press any key to boot from CD.. but it still says the thing bout "Setup found no hard disk drives installed on your computer… ECT" Also If i try to boot in any safe mode, last know good config, or windows normally, it goes it to a reboot loop
Yeah, I realize you are dealing with only a SATA HD.
With that BIOS your SATA HD should be listed there as an IDE Device.
That's why I asked.
__________________

Are you able to make any changes here? What are the options?

MAIN contains (list from top to bottom)
system time
system date
legacy diskette a [1.44M, 3,5 in]
legacy diskette b [None]
floppy 3 mode support [disabled]
primary mastser [auto] <– What are the options here? ****
primary slave [auto]
secondary master [Lite-on combo SOHC-]
secondary slave [hewlett packard DVD]
keyboard features
chassis intrude detection [disabled]
supervisor password [disabled]
user password [disabled]
halt on [all errors]
installed memory [1280 MB]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI