Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE8 using 100% cpu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 debbrown

debbrown

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

Let me start by saying I have no idea if this makes sense or if I'm posting this in the correct area. I've done a lot of browsing online about my problem and ended up here. Hopefully someone can help!

My computer started running really, really slow about 2 weeks ago, and after some looking around, it seems that when I open IE8, it uses close to 100% of the CPU. I did as much researching and tweaking as I could - I didn't want to get in over my head since I'm not familiar with a lot of this. I ran virus scans, spyware, etc, but nothing has really turned up.

When I was reading through the Microsoft support forums I came across someone with a similar problem who was able to fix the issue by running HijackThis and fixing whatever needed to be fixing. I ran the program, but since I don't want to mess anything up, and I don't know how to interpret my results,

I ended up on this website searching for help with HijackThis and thought I'd post my HijackThis results here and see if anyone has any thoughts and can maybe help resolve my issue.

Here's my log:

Attached File  debbrownhjt.txt   10.74KB   278 downloads

Any thoughts about the HijackThis log or anything else with IE8 using 100% of my CPU? Thanks!

Reason for edit: remove HJT log and add as attachment.

Edited by Ztruker, 12 July 2010 - 02:49 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi debbrown, welcome to WhatTheTech.

I removed your HijackThis log and added it as an attachment. The only area of this web site where HJT logs are allowed is the malware removal area. I left it as an attachment in case there is something in there that might help someone identify what is happening.

Since you say you've run AV and malware scans, try running IE8 without Add-ons, see if the problem persists or goes away. The easiest way to do this is to click on the Start button (Orb) then type iexplore.exe -extoff and press Enter. When IE8 starts, you will see a message saying

Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled ....

Click on the X at the end of the line to close that message then proceed with testing. If it runs better then a Add-on is causing the problem, so start it normally then click on Tools then Manage Add-ons. Start disabling them a few at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown