Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91704 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can Not Send e-mail

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

It is SMTP not SMPT duh what a big dummy :smack: :smack: :wacko: I think I need to go back to NC :unsure: Went and did the settings, incoming mail is now working, drum rollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Outgoing mail is now working, shakes head, But the fact was I have never recived a msg about the changes, all the machines with this mail adress is working. Thanks gang, guess this was a learning experiance for me and others.

Edited by Jimbo1, 15 June 2010 - 05:32 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

Nice one, Thanks for clearing up the tracert stuff appleoddity. :blush:
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#18 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

Everything doing ok this morning, all incoming mail and outgoing mail working. Learned a lot from this, but still curious as to why I have never recived a notice of changes, odd.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#19 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

No problem Nahumi. I like networking and like to explain stuff about it.

However, shortly after I made the post I realize that the details of what I said were not entirely accurate.

You have to understand really, technically, how tracert works though. You see, each router along the way isn't actually responding to a PING request. What it is doing is actually sending back a "failure" message when the TTL on a packet expires. If the router chooses not to send back the failure message then it will be unidentified. This can happen for security reasons, and such. Tracert, by any means, must be taken lightly as it is a hack as explained in these two articles which might help clarify things:

http://freesoft.org/CIE/Topics/54.htm
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Traceroute

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#20 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

Well round 2 with cannot send e-mail. As I said my shop pc, labtop and on my wifes machine in which I have my account setup everything is fine, can send e-mail and recive e-mail.

Now my machine here in my office where I do my studys for church, msgs for Sunday service and what not, I can recive e-mail fine, but cannot send. Yes I looked over the settings over and over and all matches just like the other machine. I have tryed sending mail to 4 differant e-mail address to trouble shoot this problem and now again at a loss, here is the error.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'x@bellsouth.net'. Subject 'testing', Account: 'x.bellsouth.net', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.com/sbc/dsl/mail/pop/pop-11.html', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

that link only brings me to this:
Email Program Settings Field:
Enter:

Incoming (POP)
pop.att.yahoo.com

Outgoing server (SMTP)
smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)
Incoming mail server:
POP3

Incoming/Outgoing
User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain
(e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)
Incoming mail port #:
995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #:
465, secure connection (SSL) checked

Edited by Jimbo1, 02 July 2010 - 05:37 PM.

#21 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

The important part of the message is that the SMTP server (the server that sends mail for you) says that "authentication is required." This means that you are trying to send e-mail without authenticating. Or, in other words, without logging in to prove who you are. It is possible to send mail without authentication if the server allows, but most require authentication. Depending on your mail client you need to check the option "my server requires authentication" and then check the option to use the same username and password as your incoming mail server. That will solve your problem.

Edited by appleoddity, 02 July 2010 - 11:20 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#22 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Strange part they are both checked, this is why I went through this process with the other machine when I had problems with them, This is why I am going now what the heck.

#23 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Well ok after my 3rd cup of coffee, and looking over the settings again and all looked as they were before. I went ok if all else fail try and try again, started over from scratch and did the checks and stuff and this time sucess, e-mail will now send. Still I am at a lost of why it did not work, who knows I seen strange stuff with MS before and was about to lay hands on my mail box. Thanks for helping, mabey someone else will have this same problem and can read this. Jimmy