Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

my internet connection is slow

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

hi appleoddity , just to tell you after i did the ck leaning and hovering and reseating, its know working really well, top speedm goes like ,well really fast now . no hang ups ,no stalls , it does look like all is back to how it should be . regards phil c

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi Phil. That is all very good. So, if I understand you correctly you have reseated your RAM? Did you inspect for leaking capacitors? And, you say this really made a difference in performance, is this lasting? Is Internet Explorer performing any differently?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#33 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

hi appleoddity, yes i did look on the motherboard for leaking caps and none noticed no bulges no smells of burning electrolyte. i followed your instructions on the ram test and it all went ok nothing bad , i also followed your innstructions on reseating the ram . all ok last night for several hours of use on the net, its still running well and very fast!! booted up this morning and been using for an hour now and its running just great. explorer has now got rid of the black outs in the top tool bars and is running fine ive tried sever web sites off favs ,and they all run really quick. one thing ive noticed still, is that on boot up, the internet two monitors that are in bottom right toolbar that indicate when your on the net and that you have a connection , still take a while ,and are the last thing to come up and until they do you cant do anything on the computer until its up it doesnt take that long and is now something i can easily live with,.unless you have some other ideas thanks very much for all you patience and help over these days. regards phil c

#34 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

That's great Phil. It sounds like your computer is functioning like I would expect it to according to your PCPitStop profile.

Yes, I know at least some of the reason your computer has a significant delay on startup. But, we had to get rid of the hardware issue before moving forward. Lets see if we can squeeze the last bit of performance out of that machine.

However, I would like a new export of your APPLICATION and SYSTEM logs so I can see how they have been behaving over the last couple of days.

Secondly, I would also like you to download some software to manage your startup items and services so we can tune thigns up. Also use it to export a list of your services and startup items. Here's how:

How to use CodeStuff Starter to view services and startup items:

• Please download and install CodeStuff Starter
  • Run Starter by finding it on your start menu after it is installed.
  • When the program opens, you will see three tabs on the main screen (Startup, Processes, Services)
  • Please click the Startup tab and make sure that All Sections is selected on the left hand side under the sections view pane.
  • Once the Startup tab and all sections is selected, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it startup.html.
  • Now, please click the Services tab.
  • Once the Services tab is open, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it services.html.
  • Now that both files have been saved to your desktop, close CodeStuff Starter.
  • Locate the startup.html and services.html files on your desktop. Hold the CTRL key and click to select both files. Right-click one of them and click send to > compressed zip folder. Please attach the newly created .zip file to the forum.

Also, lets address this issue with the missing msconfig and possible windows defender issue also. Please click start -> run -> type cmd and press ENTER.
At the command prompt, copy and paste the following: echo %path% > postme.txt & notepad.exe postme.txt and press ENTER. Notepad will open and please copy and paste the contents of that file to the forum.

Thanks.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#35 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

hi appleoddity, here as a zip file attached are the sys and app logs done moments ago that you asked for . now ill get on with the second task and get back to you

Attached Files

#36 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi Phil. Can you please open Event Viewer and take a look at your application log. There are a bunch of MSIInstaller events with #11728. Can you please open one of those up and see what it says. On my end it says, "Product: ProductContext -- Configuration completed successfully." This is a problem, but "ProductContext" tells me nothing. Maybe on your system it gives a specific name and it is just an export problem?

#37 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

hi appleoddity, here is the pasted item you requested C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem;C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem attached is the zip file with both items regards phil c

Attached Files

#38 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

hi appleoddity , it gives no more than what you have no names just msidll regards phil c

#39 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi Phil. Thanks for that. Upon closer look, PCPitStop has incorrectly identified "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe" as Windows Defender. So, there is no windows defender to worry about.

Things don't look too bad here from your CodeStuff Starter export. Your startup entries are not consistent with your installed programs list and this indicates someone probably already ran msconfig at one point at put your system in a limited startup mode. BUt lets address what I do know to be a problem which is HP Cue Device Discovery and then tune it up a little bit beyond that.

Open up CodeStuff starter. Click the services tab, and right-click and disable to following services:
  • HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service
  • Java Quick Starter
  • LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service
  • NMIndexingService
  • NVIDIA Display Driver Service
  • SeaPort
  • Yahoo! Updater
  • LexBce Server <-- I don't see anything about a Dell or Lexmark printer software on your PCPitStop report. Don't disable this if you have that brand. Looks like you have HP though?

Next, click the startups tab and disable:
  • NvCplDaemon
  • SunJavaUpdateSched

This should improve your reboot time significantly, but not sure if it will eliminate the delay entirely. Lets me know.

Also, because I am still curious what is going on, please click start -> run -> type c:\windows\system32\msconfig.exe and press ENTER. Does it open msconfig? If you open msconfig, click cancel to close it, don't click OK because it has a tendency to undo everything we just did above.

#40 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hi Phil. Maybe we can try to go one step further to figure out what is causing this non-stop MSIInstaller problem. This has certainly got to be impacting your performance and causing possible software installation problems.

So, lets click start -> run -> type regedit and press ETNER.

Click to highlight the My Computer branch in the left hand side of registry editor. Click EDIT and search for the following value: 6F60CD17-EE34-4F77-83B7-F8ADBDC31D46

This should provide some hits, but it will be up to you to investigate the specific keys that it finds and see if you can find a product name or filename or something that would hint to us what this is. Be careful not to change anything in registry editor. Use F3 to step through all the occurrences.

Edited by appleoddity, 06 June 2010 - 09:36 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

did all the things you ased of me in the first e-mail with regards to starter!!! tried the msconfig and it says the same thing cant find . ill now get on with the second e-mail instructions regards phil c

#42 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

hi appleoditty, did the regedit thing, found the file its a ref to hp, hewlett packard , digital imaging . also says productcontext , next to display name , that rings a bell fromabout three e-mails ago with you . we do have an all in one hp officejet its a phone fax printer scanner all in one. we did used to have a lexmark but it broke down was old ,so i uninstalled it and we ditched it . regards phil c

#43 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

Interesting. Ok. First, let try to restore msconfig to its rightful location. Click start -> run -> type copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msconfig.exe c:\windows\system32 and press ENTER. Then, try clicking start -> run -> type msconfig and press ENTER. It should work now. If it opens, under the general tab, please let me know if it is in "normal" startup mode or something else. Remember to cancel to exit out of msconfig.

Hows the startup times now that you have adjusted those services and startup entries?

As far as HP goes. I'm not real surprised here. I like HP printers, but their software leaves a lot to be desired. It is bulky and often problematic. The HP Cue Device Discovery is by far the most problematic service I have ever seen in causing slow startups.

Earlier, I asked you to use the windows installer cleanup tool to remove the "Product Context" entry. This may have actually made it more difficult to uninstall a particular HP product.

My suggestion is that you go to HP.COM and download the newest bundle of software for your printer. Then, uninstall is much HP software from the add/remove programs list as you can. If you find that a particular one won't uninstall, just ignore it for now. Don't forget to unplug the printer, or power it off for now. You don't want to hook it back up until the software requests that you do so when you are installing it.

Then, try to reinstall the software fresh from the download. Be careful with the HP software, pay close attention to a couple of options during the initial stages of setup that are kind of hidden. Two links you can click during setup will allow you to do an advanced, or custom configuration of options. This will give you opportunity to select exactly what components you install out of the package. Half of which you don't want and it isn't right that they install. But, my suggestion is that you tell them you do not want it to automatically check for updates, and that you do not want products like HP Update, Smart Web Printing, Shop For Supplies, Customer Experience Improvement (or something like that). Basically the only thing I install is the photo and imaging software, and device functions. The rest of it is basically carp**.

Hopefully this will resolve that MSI installer issue. But, its hard to say for now. It doesn't hurt to update the software and try to clean it up anyways. At least we hope. :)

#44 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

hi appleoditty, ok ran the string you gave me , copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msconfig.exe c:\windows\system32 into run and it comes up not found again !!!!!! if i type c:\windows\system32\dllcache\msconfig.exe c:\windows\system32 it comes up with a panel with selections on it that last fix was great its booting up ral fast now and seems to go straight to the monitors in bottom right rather than go all through the others , thanks its near perfect now regards phil c

#45 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hi Phil. I'm glad the computer is running well. Did you happen to try to repair the HP software? Lastly, it appears for some reason you are completely missing msconfig. I'm not sure why. Its possible you could search your computer for msconfig.exe and then drag and drop a copy of it back to the C:\windows\system32 folder to restore it. Other than that, you will have to obtain a copy of the file from another machine or from the original XP installation disc. Its not a real big deal, because this is not a critical component. However, it is a very nice troubleshooting and tuneup tool for many people.