Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

my internet connection is slow

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:45 AM

Hi There ,
Im hoping someone can help me !! ive been in the malware removal section of this forum , and Catbyte, has given me a clean bill of health on this machine, she seems to think its a hardeware or config issue and has asked me to put it upon here.
its when i go on the internet , it takes ages to bring up my yahoo.home page , then when it does it waits ages until its possible to scroll and if you go anywhere else it waits 7-8 mins before it brings up new page , took me 12 mins to get here . ive not installed anything new recently jsut started running slower and slower , and thought it was a virus did all the virus scans and logs with Catbyte.
the machine is a desktop amd athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor 6400 +3.20 ghz , 1.87gb ram 128 mb graphic card running windows pro xp sp3
regards phil c

Link to the malware removal thread, post #29 is where this machine starts: http://forums.whatth...776#entry655776

Edited by appleoddity, 01 June 2010 - 02:01 PM.
Added malware link

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

Hi Phil. Did you have two computers cleaned in the same malware removal thread? I see you mention a second computer, but do not see where the thread concerning this particular machine is?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

hi appleoditty, thanks for helping me with this problem its much appreciated !! yes i did have two comps cleaned under the same thread, it was the second one which was from page two i believe regards phil c

#4 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

hi appleoddity, Can you help me with this problem ?? regards phil c

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Yes I can help you. I am researching some things concerning the information provided in your malware thread.

For the time being please run a PCPitStop test:

How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
  • Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
  • Click "Create a free account"
  • Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
  • After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
  • Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
  • Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
  • Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
  • A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
  • Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/...' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.

Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.

Thanks.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#6 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

hi appleoddity,
this is the link you required http://pcpitstop.com...top/Summary.asp
would not carry it out on the new scan , i had to go to where it said if this scan doesnt work go to the old scan and try there and it ran .
ive noticed that the top toolbar section of my explorer has turned black as well, making it difficult to read .
regards phil c

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:21 AM

Hi Phil thats the general link to the Pit's site.... this is the chap we need..as set out by appleoddity •Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/...' Please copy and paste that here to the forum. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

hi paws,
that url i sent to you was the report summary off pit stop, i thought thats what you wanted to look at its not the start page of pitstop, this is the url from my login page maybe thats what you want http://pcpitstop.com...pit/pitstop.asp
im a little cofused ,i ran the test and copied the url from the test summary page as you told me to do, anyhow is that what you require , i can run the test again if you require
regards phil c

#9 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:34 AM

http://pcpitstop.com...t/browse.aspaws try this one it lets you browse my reports http://pcpitstop.com...apit/browse.asp
that url you said was pitstops home page ? when i click it it goes to my report?? i am a little cofused
regards phil c

#10 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hello Phil. Typically, the link looks like this: http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=xxxxxxxx

If you don't see a unique set of numbers in the URL then you are not looking at the right URL.

However, I just ran a test using the "old" test and find the same results you got. The secret is that you have to look in the little yellow box near the upper right where it says, "Current Test Results," and click the "Share results with techexpress" link which will then take you to another page where it will tell you what URL to provide to us. You can copy and paste that here.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

hi paws,
try this one , i hope!!!! sorry for the earlier and being a little flakey!! it was a tad cofusing
regards phil c

http://pcpitstop.com...;report=Summary

#12 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Overall your system look very healthy. I don't see anything that really stands out as a problem on this computer so I'm going to focus on your network connection or a browser issue. Can you tell me what internet browsers you have tried? And, does this slow problem occur on all those browsers? Does this slow problem ALWAYS happen?

#13 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

hi paws , im replying to you on my laptop at the moment , just as theres no misunderstanding , the other dam machine is so slow im pulling my hair out at the mo , yes i agree with you about possibley the browser i was using ie7 and it was dreadfully slow, catbyte said it needed up dating, i did this and it down loaded ie8, installed it, and it works real slow possibly slower than the other one. also the top 3 tool bars have gone black and i cant see any text such as options, tools, favourites etc it all seems to be working just really slower than snail crawl!!! the other thing word , my doccs, media player seem ok they take a while to open but once open there ok its when they interact with anything on the net they hang up. the slow prob always happens dont think its the net connection , the problematic computer is hardwired into the wireless router with cat 5 cable , we have 4 other laptops and we can wireless or hard wire them in to same wireless router and they appear to be fine , i have hard wired my laptop in to the wireless router with same bit of cable and oit works fine . regards phil c

#14 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi Phil. You are replying to me - Appleoddity. Anyways, please go into Internet Options in control panel. Click the advanced tab and click "RESET." Choose the option to delete personal settings and data also. Perform the reset then restart internet explorer and see how things run.

#15 philcamera

philcamera

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

hi appleoddity, sorry about that only paws was helping me a while ago !!! tried that and explorer wouldnt open properly , tried twice now and it wont bring up hotmail page, which is ob the default reset homepage , tried once more and still no luck its saying done down the bottom but its just 3 black tool bars at the top and a white page . if i close it down it hangs there for ages until it finally closes and the standard windows non responsive warning comes up. oww hang on!! on the last one its finally opened up after about 4 mins and a welcome to internet explorer 8 has popped up asking me if i want to learn about the new features !!!! next or ask me later choice has come up think ill go next and express choices done that and its still slow and there are 3 black tool bars at the top and not a lot else , cant even see any of the text to open anything in the browser , only the very top url , and now a full page of msn has revealed but so slow if you steer off there to something else . the off line progs seem ok though word, my docs open and close , media player 11 runs ok with sound as well the printer looks like it needs time to think about it though and is stopping midway ,thinking about it, then carries on printing even on fast draft , or best copy regards phil c