This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

BSOD - Page Fault in Non Paged Area

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Duey. When you downgraded to XP, did you use HP provided installation discs for this laptop, or did you use your own copy of Windows XP Professional? I notice a lot of HP stuff installed that isn't typical of a clean install. My main question is to find out if these discs were designed specifically for this laptop if you did use them.
yes, i used the genuine HP Downgrade disks and installed all optional HP software (along with Office 07 Home User Program Version thingy) they came with the laptop so i'm guessing they were designed for use with this specific laptop. Cheers for your help so far :)
Lets try removing a few things off of this laptop for now. I understand that these things are needed, but ideally I would like to eliminate some software and then reinstall it a bit at a time to try to find out what inparticular is causing the problem.

So, according to your PCPitStop report you should find the following items in add/remove programs that we can uninstall. Please do so, and you do not have to reboot until the last item is removed. Please note that this will be removing some of the hardware drivers and you may experience some strange video issues or such but that is normal. This will also give us the chance to make sure you have the latest software installed.

Here's the list:
  • ATI Catalyst Control Center
  • ATI Display Driver
  • File Sanitizer For HP ProtectTools
  • HP Webcam Application
  • HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite
  • SCR3xxx Smart Card Reader
  • AMD Driver Support for HP 3D DriverGuard
  • HP 3D DriveGuard
  • HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth wireless technology
  • Agere Systems HDA Modem
  • SoundMAX
  • Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
  • HP Webcam
  • AMD Processor Driver

This is most of the drivers on your computer except for networking drivers so you can still get on-line and a few software products I have to question.

After uninstalling these let me know if you still have this problem and then lets go from there.
if needed i can also remove the networking drivers as i am using a company computer to reply to this thread. i will begin removing the software in the list above. Cheers :)
all removed… Still BSOD'd Page Fault In NonPaged Area *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x80097000, 0x00000000, 0x805399B3, 0x00000000)
Well Duey. I have done some more research on this problem. You are not alone on your problems. This is a known issue with this particular laptop for people who have done the exact same thing as you - downgrade to XP with the HP discs.

There isn't a clear solution that I found, but several different things to try that some had success with and some did not. There seems to be an underlying problem on this notebook.

Heres a link to the thread I found: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-C…/highlight/true

With the information provided on that thread I have a few ideas of things that might be the real problem. So, lets try a few things. Don't worry about reinstalling any drivers, because ultimately you might need to do a reload of this system again.

First, the most simplest, try this. Right-click my computer, click properties. Click the Advanced tab and click the settings button under startup and recovery. Click the edit button to edit startup options manually. boot.ini will load in notepad. Find the line that look like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
and remove the portion of that line that says "/noexecute=optin"

Only remove that one portion of the line. Do not make any other modifications. Save the file and reboot your computer. See if you have any more blue screen problems.

Pcs365, rather than copying a large post like that and then not providing proper attribution, please just post a link to the web article. It's actually easier :D and that way there is no plagiarism involved.

I found the same info you posted here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329293

I'm not trying to discourage you, please continue to respond to posts. Just be up front about where your data comes from when it's meaningful to do so.




Whats wrong in that, I don't think there is any hastle because of me pasting the info to this forum posting. I beleive it helps the person who has the issue to get the info on the same site where He/She has posted the issue, rather we providing the link.. So thats my intention.
Pcs365, that's okay, then just include the link from where you took the material. I can see the advantage of having it all right there in the post though that is not how I would do it. I guess I'm a minimalist :D That's the beauty of support forums like this, different individuals, different ways of doing things, all intended to help the person with their problem. Very cool.
Hi, I've just tried that and it BSOD'd on restart. it's now BSODing on every startup (excl. safe mode) If we can't fix it, it looks like a call to HP for a new one :huh:
also ztrucker and pcs365… personally I find that having all the info i need in one place without having to click links and open new windows / browser tabs a lot easier. just my 2 cents :)
HI Duey. I suspect the most like solution to his problem is going to require a complete reload from the original discs. Rather than waste more time I think that is the route to go. Hopefully this will not be a further waste of time. This laptop certainly has an issue that many people have experienced. I suspect there are some SATA/RAID/Chipset driver issues with this laptop and windows XP that are includied on those discs provided by HP.

First, lets go into safe mode, and edit your boot.ini file again. Add back in the "/noexecute=option" option and save the file. Reboot and see if the laptop boots normally (every second boot). Once you are back into Windows in normal mode download and install this driver: AMD SATA/AHCI Driver
Reboot and see if you still have the problem. If you do then continue on.

In order to eliminate that problem, instead of trial and error with different things, lets try what seems to work according to many replies in that thread I linked to.

First, go into the BIOS setup and find the SATA mode. It is probably set to RAID, or AHCI, or SATA mode. Try changing it to IDE or compatible mode. Save your changes. Just for kicks, see if your laptop boots. It probably won't but make a note of the blue screen you get, I'm curious.

Next, reload the system fresh from the HP provided discs. Once loaded please do not install any additional software, drivers, or updates until you have restarted several times to make sure it is not blue screening.

Third, install this driver: AMD Processor Update for XP. Reboot the computer a couple more times and make sure it is not blue screening.

Lastly, download and install the Windows XP Service Pack 3 update: XP Service Pack 3 - Standalone Installer

I really think that will be the end of your problems. Unfortunately, it requires a bit of work on your part to get things reloaded. If things are running stable at this point I suggest you visit the windows update website and install the remaining windows updates. Do not install (ever for that matter) drivers that are offered to you via the "custom" scan on the windows update website.

You may finish up work on this computer by downloading and installing the following driver updates (I would not concern myself with anything else):
Video Driver
Smart Card Reader

Unless you are having any other specific problems, or marks in device manager, I would not install any thing else from HP for this laptop.
cheers for your reply. :)

when the laptop BSOD'd on every boot, the first thing i did was change the boot.ini file back to normal (added /noexecute=optin)

as always, i'll follow your steps in order and then get back to you.

EDITIt appears that the AMD SATA/AHCI Driver has fixed the BSOD.

i'll keep restarting it until i can say for definate that the driver has fixed the BSOD
Just to satisfy your curiosity, the BSOD error when i changed the SATA Mode from SATA to IDE is: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf78ae524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) i've changed the SATA mode back, i only changed it to satisfy your curiosity :) Also, what do you mean by "Reload the system fresh from the HP provided discs" Do you mean a full Re-install?
Hi Duey. Thanks for that info. But I am actually requesting that you leave the SATA mode set to IDE. This is part of the solution to your problem. Yes. When I say reload, I mean a full, clean re-install from the HP provided discs with the SATA mode set to IDE. The reinstall is required to make the system work with the new BIOS settings. NOTE: This problem would not have occured most likely if the operating system was loaded from an original Microsoft WIndows XP Pro disc, but HP has most likely provided you with discs that contain an "image" that has been known to be problematic. The image is often times used on many different models of computers and contains many different drivers for each computer. Sometimes those drivers can conflict.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI