This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

moderator help

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I hope this note is within protocol. I use this forum regularly and cannot 'reply' to a notification in my in box. The site just keeps asking for my credentials over and over. I have Win xp home sp3, + usually use MSIE8 when I come here. My only work around has been to use Firefox. Because I use MSIE8 most of the time I find myself having to switch to reply to a members notification. Is it just me or is there a problem with MSIE8 and the forum. I like it here enough that I am willing to switch to come back but I am more than curious. I have deleted cookies at this site and in my machine and cleared cache and history. Perhaps there is still something I am doing wrong which I would like to correct if possible. Thank you for listening.

Is it just me or is there a problem with MSIE8 and the forum.

It is not IE8 for I have no problems. I would suggest you delete all your cookies, restart IE8 and try again.

Is it just me or is there a problem with MSIE8 and the forum.

It is not IE8 for I have no problems. I would suggest you delete all your cookies, restart IE8 and try again.




>>I must have another issue as I have done as you recommend.
I will keep working on it.
From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser toolbars, are used by some Web sites to provide an enhanced browsing experience. An error may occur if an add-on is damaged or if an add-on conflicts with Internet Explorer. To determine whether the error is caused by an add-on, run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.
  • Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.
  • Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly. If issues still occur, try Method 4.
If no errors occur, the problem is caused by one of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer.
I internet explorer>general>I have the box checked that says,"delete browsing history on exit." Next, I click 'delete'. This opens a page which shows 7 boxes which I have checked -I click delete again. NOW, I thought all cookies would be deleted BUT; go to the general tab again and see the box that says 'settings' next to the box that says 'delete just under 'delete browsing history on exit. If youclick on settings, you will see a page with a box that says 'view files'. Even after clicking the deletes, I see tons of cookies here. I now remove them which I never did before. ***Why doesn't the delete ,remove all these cookies? I would appreciate any comments to help maintain the explorer so I can do it correctly.. Btw , thank you for the referrals. I am studying them.
Perhaps they are in your trusted zone, I don't know. If you want to do a good cleaning, see my canned text below:

I recommend purging the hard drives of clutter with Windows Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If using CCleaner, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar during installation. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours is unchecked. Know your site credentials (user names and passwords) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit.

Download and install Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) and scan as follows:

Check for updates before scanning,
Select Perform quick scan > Scan,
When complete, click OK, then Show Results,
Ensure all is selected, and click Remove Selected,
When complete, save the log in Notepad to a convenient place for future reference.

Repeat for all computers in the "Trusted Zone" of your network (your side of the Internet "gateway" - typically the cable or DSL modem).

Windows Disk Cleanup Note: One distinct advantage Windows Disk Cleanup has over all other cleaners is that it also has the option to delete all but the most recent Restore Point. This can be significant as malicious code can hide there too. But I caution this option, found under the More Options tab, should be used only after careful consideration. If experiencing a problem that first appeared within the last couple days, do not use this option until sure System Restore cannot be used to fix it. If the computer is running fine otherwise, and you are doing your weekly supplemental scans and want to root out as many potential malware hiding places as possible, I recommend setting a new Restore Point, and then use this Disk Cleanup option to clear out the old points.
Since I have cleaned the cookies out of "View files" I have no trouble with the site -Whew! You once told me about the Malware program and Ccleaner and I use both of them. I have had a good day as i have installed Windows Live mail in the dektop -the laptop had problems with it. The laptop accepted Thunderbird and the dektop would not without problems. So both are covered to send a link or page and to respond to hyperlinks. The cookie issue seems ok. I only have to find out whether i should use cloning or intelligent sector to image my system in Macrium. In Aronis the 8 minute imge can recover a single file which I want to do. In Macrium I don't know if both will recover a single file. The more brief process is recommended. Thank you for the help
Because you an Ztrucker have been of so much help with my issues, I wanted to let you both know I have finally found the reason for many of my explorer problems I have spoken with both of you about. I had ticked the top box, "Preserve favorites website data", all this time. It acccounts for so many of the issues I was having including communicating with this forum. Such a little thing but a big difference.
You may need to go through your Favorites and make sure they go to where you want. Also, ATF or CCleaner would not use that setting so you could have used them as well. Thanks for the followup.

Where did you find "Preserve favorites website data"? I don't see it anywhere.



MSIE 8>int options>General, click delete and it is at the top.
I cannot believe I was actually able to offer you help as it is always the other way around. I too use an other browser most of the time, usually F.F. I ran Secunia and it said both browsers were vulnerable and weak and siad "no solution". What is left that is considerd safe? I would like to have a browser Secunia considered safe, if Secunia is initself a reliable program. It seems to have helped me for some time especially with patches needed or outdated programs. So, can you recommend a browser that may past the test?
Peter, you are sure asking some tough questions! a safe browser eh? its a bit like asking for a recommendation for a safe make of car to drive (automobile) Some folks will swear by a Ford…others swear at them! Folks may say only choose a GM product, or Japenese, or a Jaguar or. or….etc etc. Whether its a car or a browser, most up to date versions are pretty safe…ish……….provided they have a good driver…..who drives with an eye constantly on the lookout for potential trouble and the best way to avoid it…… same rules on not putting oneself (or others) into potential dangerous situations apply to cars and browsers…. Like you keep your car well serviced and maintained..do the same with your computer—–patched and updated with all important updates. keep your tyres and steering and brakes in good shape—– your bi-directional firewall and anti virus, anti spyware updated and running at all times…. I don't want to run with this analogy too far……but if you use your car in a wise manner and your browser in the same wise manner you will stand the best chance of avoiding a lot of trouble…… Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI