This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

BSOD - Moved from Malware removal seection

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I was told to continue my post here from the Malware removal section. They have helped me clear out quite a few items, but there is still a recurring problem with a BSOD issue.

Currently, I am not getting any popups from Avira AntiVir or any other virus removal software, but I am still having a few problems. My desktop is showing the "Active Desktop Recovery" background, and upon booting up I get the error message - "Windows has recovered from a serious error." I am still seeing some slow performance as well.

Please see my past topic here.

I have not operated the computer since that time - so nothing should be out of date.

Please let me know what you need, and thank you in advance for the help!!!
Hi, With the amount and type of malware present on your machine and the use in the past of multiple P2P file sharing applications, its very difficult to determine exactly what damage may have been caused to some parts of your Windows operating system. Your logs indicate that your hard drive is practically full…you have less than 1GB free according to recent logs with over 70Gb being used. A Windows 8E stop error can have a number of causes but oftentimes is associated with inadequate free disc space (as set out in the wording of the BSOD) The first step must be for you to free up disc space, you will be well advised to remove as much as possible from your hard drive that is not required. You will need to achieve a free disc space of at least, repeat at least , 25% of your total hard drive capacity as Windows needs plenty of "elbow room" to operate. Once you have achieved 25% (or preferably more) free space then defrag your harddrive, then reboot and defrag it again. When you are ready to test your machine disconnect all peripherals, remove all CDs USB devices (including your USB hard drive) your printer etc just run your machine with the PSU and a mouse and see how you go. Let us know if you get the same BSOD following the disc clean up and 2X defrags, and also the exact amount of free space you ended up with Regards paws
Thanks for the advice, I should be able to clear up the disk space pretty easily. I'll try the defrags and let you know how it goes.
Alright I've cleared out just over 43 gigs of my harddrive space. Only 31 gigs are full. While doing this I got a BSOD once after about 20 minutes of operating the computer. After I finished clearing the space, I attempted to defrag- but only reached 3% (about ten minutes in) before the BSOD appeared. I tried this a few different times, with the same result. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I can't find one reason or task that causes the BSOD, but it happens about 10-15 minutes after booting up and immediately crashes/reboots. Also, I followed the video on the desktop recovery removal and it worked. Thanks Ztruker.
Looked at the minidumps you uploaded with WhoCrashed and they are all showing ntoskrnl.exe as the source of the problem.

On Fri 3/5/2010 12:05:42 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8062DFD5, 0xB8501BB8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030510-04.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 3/4/2010 10:45:36 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xB469B699, 0x0, 0x8062DFD5, 0x0)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030410-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 3/5/2010 12:44:28 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8062DFD5, 0xB8627BD8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini030510-06.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Do you have a Windows XP installation CD? If so, try booting to Safe Mode and running sfc /scannow from a Start / Run box. Directions for using SFC are here: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Looking at them with WinDBG, one of the dumps points to mscorsvw.exe, which is a component of Microsoft .NET, so what I would do if SFC doesn't fix the problem is to uninstall all instances of .NET via Add/Remove Programs, if the system will stay up long enough to do so.

If you can do that, then run for a bit and see if the BSOD reoccurs of not. If you need .NET, you will be prompted to install it so I wouldn't worry about it until then.
Thinking about this a bit more, I would suggest before doing anything more, that you run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, to see if there are any file system problems that need repairing.

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and create a bootable CD from the .iso file XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will
do this.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).
From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).
Okay, burned the CD and ran the chkdsk /r. When completed it said the scan had found and corrected one or more errors. I booted up normally, and went to uninstall the Microsoft.net framework. There was 3 iterations in the add/remove program list: 2.0 SP 2, 3.0 SP 2, and 3.5 SP 1. I successfully uninstalled the 3.5 version, but both other versions came up with an error when I tried to uninstall. It said that it could not be uninstalled b/c it will affect other applications that are currently installed. After about 15 minutes I got the BSOD again. I've tried a few times, with the same result. Should I run the sfc /scannow?
Yes, try the sfc /scannow. If that doesn't help, install Revo Uninstaller and use it to remove 2.0 SP 2, 3.0 SP 2 .NET versions. Start with the newest and work backwards. Take all the defaults. Even when the normal uninstall fails, Revo will delete the registry entries and hard drive files to eliminate each.
Alright, I ran the Revo Uninstaller to get rid of the last iterations of the .NET framework, deleted the leftover registry files and extra files per the tool's instruction. I also installed the Windows updates which have been popping up from the system tray. I tried to run the sfc /scannow - but it was prompting me for the Windows XP CD - which I don't have. Is there a way around needing a copy of the CD to run the scannow? I'm still getting BSOD about 20 minutes after booting up… Thanks again.
Can you post one or two of the recent mini dumps? I'd like to take a look and see what they indicate as a probable cause. They are in c:\windows\minidump I believe. ZIp them up and then upload here in a reply.
They all show mscorsvw.exe as the faulting program so the uninstall of .NET did not remove everything.

Do you still have a C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET folder tree on your hard drive? That should not be there once all the versions of .NET were uninstalled.

As a test, rename C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NOT then reboot and see what happens. If it won't let you do the rename, boot to Safe Mode and do it, then reboot normally.
With the blue screens happening predicatable every 15 to 20 minutes after booting I would raise the question if this machine isn't overheating?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI