As of yeseterday, my computer started getting fake alerts and anti-virus's randomly and I have not able to get rid of the problem. I fear it is something more than just some fake alerts though.
Here are the HijackThis logs, although I'm not sure if they are accurate as I believe there is a virus corrupting it due to the screenshot provided below:
[external image: Posted Image]
And here are the logs:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:55:24 PM, on 4/14/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17023)
Boot mode: Normal
Hello Krunkdog and welcome to WhatTheTech. I’ll be happy to look over your log and help you with your issues. It will be very helpful if you follow these guidelines:
Malware removal is a sometimes lengthy and tedious process. Please stick with the thread until I’ve given you the “All clear.” Absence of symptoms does not mean your machine is clean!
Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications without being directed to do so.
Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted.
Any underlined text in my posts indicates a clickable link.
You should print any instructions I give you for ease of use and reference.
If you have any questions at all, please stop and ask before proceeding.
Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.
I will post back as soon as possible with instructions.
Double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
[external image: Posted Image] Click the image to enlarge it
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) You are infected with a trojan know to sometimes have backdoor properties and a rootkit. Rootkits and Backdoor Trojans are very dangerous because they can steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately limit your online activity until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately using a different computer and banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach.
These infections will take several steps to clean, and we may need your Windows XP installation disk. Do you have it, or can you borrow one? Here are your first instructions:
I'm pretty sure I have the Windows XP Installation disk I'll have to go look for it. I've attached the OTL scan log, although I can not find where the fix log saved to.
You picked up another infection since you posted your first logs. If it's at all possible, please keep this machine off the internet except to work with me here.
VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.
[external image: Posted Image]
Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:
[external image: Posted Image]
Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply. Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
After I ran combofix and my computer rebooted I was for some reason not able to connect to the Internet anymore I'm currently having to type this from my iPod. Any way to fix this?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI