This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Google Chrome Not Working

40 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

Reboot to OTLPE.

Then open your OTLPE folder and navigate to :\PROGRAMS\RegistryEditorPE, can you see RegistryEditorPE.exe there?

If so please double click it, see if it loads your remote registry.
Hi, yes, there's a link to it on the desktop as well. It starts but then prompts me to "Select the remote Windows directory", and I have no idea what to then select….. (i.e. where does the registry live?!) Thanks, Mark
It's in your C:\Windows, expand C: by clicking on the "+" sign then go to C:\windows, click OK. It will now select the SAM hive, just click on open on the pop ups to load the registry hive.
Ok, I'm in… I can navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then there's a variety of different possibilities: \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services contains "iastor55", "iastor70", "iastor78" and "iastor86". \_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ contains ControlSet001, ControlSet002 (and ControlSet003), the first two of which contain \Services\iastor keys, and all of those interestingly have an ImagePath key with a value of "system32\drivers\tsk29.tmp" - the file that came up a while ago as a problem when running GMER. Thanks, Mark
Alright! :thumbup:

Let's do this:

If you are not able to save in OTLPE, create this fix in your other pc then save them in you flash drive.

Insert it into the infected pc then double click it to run.

Launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the text inside the Code box into it.
Save in: Desktop
File Name: fixme.reg
Save as Type: All files
Click: Save

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iastor]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,69,00,61,00,53,00,74,00,6f,00,72,\
00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

Save this as fixme.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: [external image: Posted Image]
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry.

–Next–

Reboot your computer then remove OTLPE disc. Reboot in normal mode.
Hey, no luck :( Well, I ran the fix and it said it had successfully added it to the registry, but I still get the same error message when I try and reboot normally….. Thanks, Mark
There's no "iaStor" in there. There's a iastor55, 70, 78 and 86, like in the "CurrentControlSet". I presume the above code should have added an "iastor"? ….. Mark

\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ contains ControlSet001, ControlSet002


Can you tell me the exact path here?

Is it HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\iaStor?

If so please hold off the fix for now.
Hi, ok I ran the fix before I saw the latest message, but having rebooted, I can't see either of the two keys I thought I'd added (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iastor or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\iastor). I'm guessing that's because we need to look at _REMOTE_SYSTEM instead? Anyway, as far as your most recent comment goes, the exact paths are: 1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\iastor (no capital "s") which contains 8 keys, including an "ImagePath" with a value of system32\drivers\tsk29.tmp 2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\iastor (identical to the above) Both also contain "Parameters" subfolders. Thanks, Mark
Hi,

Yes that was my mistake. Run this fix please:

Launch Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories), and copy/paste all the text inside the Code box into it.
Save in: Desktop
File Name: fixme.reg
Save as Type: All files
Click: Save

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\iastor]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,69,00,61,00,53,00,74,00,6f,00,72,\
00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\iastor]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,69,00,61,00,53,00,74,00,6f,00,72,\
00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

Save this as fixme.reg Choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: [external image: Posted Image]
Doubleclick on it and when it asks you if you want to merge the contents to the registry.

–Next–

Reboot your computer then remove OTLPE disc. Reboot in normal mode.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI