Hi Jorgan, You don't give us much information, other than
slow PC
Runs but not smooth.
1 Can you describe in some detail the symptoms you are experiencing, what applications are involved, any error messages you are receiving, and exactly what it is that you are doing when the slow PC and lack of smoothness occurs. When did the problem start…? date needed please. The make and model number together with a list of peripheral equipment attached would be helpful.
2 What steps have you taken to rectify the faults?
3 Did you back up your Registry before making changes?
4 Can you put back your Registry to how it was before using the automated Registry cleaner?
5 Have you tried using a System Restore Point to restore your system to a time before the problem started?
6 Have you run chkdsk /r
7 Have you run sfc /scannow
8 Do you have an up to date, reproducible back up copy/archive of everything that is important to you on your computer, kept safe on removable media?
9 Do you have a disc image of your "perfect configuration"?
10 Do you have a Microsoft Windows installation disc, or a manufacturers Restore/recovery disc
11 Have you made a note of all your product serial keys including the one for Windows itelf?
12 are you still running peer to peer filesharing applications E.G. Bit torrent on your computer?, (as indicated in your log files…) are you aware of the risks in this? and do you understand how your machine may be being used by bit torrent as a server, with your system resources being used by it?
Post back with your comments and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
See answers below
1 Can you describe in some detail the symptoms you are experiencing, what applications are involved, any error messages you are receiving, and exactly what it is that you are doing when the slow PC and lack of smoothness occurs. When did the problem start…? date needed please. The make and model number together with a list of peripheral equipment attached would be helpful.
Answer: it takes a some time to open applications and it doesn't appear smoothly but more like in blocks. It seems to be more severe in my browser (firefox 3.6.3). I never get any errors. It's just slowing down. Probably started within the last couple of weeks. Dell dimension 1100. Printer, external hard drive and microsoft wireless device for keyboard and mouse.
2 What steps have you taken to rectify the faults?
Answer: I have only done what Conspire recommended in the thread referred to. It seems to take forever to run the virus scans and one of them I couldn't run.
3 Did you back up your Registry before making changes?
Answer: I have not made any changes.
4 Can you put back your Registry to how it was before using the automated Registry cleaner?
Answer: I assume you refer to Eusing registry. I have used it probably for a year without any problems and have never made a backup
5 Have you tried using a System Restore Point to restore your system to a time before the problem started?
Answer: No
6 Have you run chkdsk /r
Answer: no
7 Have you run sfc /scannow
Answer: no
8 Do you have an up to date, reproducible back up copy/archive of everything that is important to you on your computer, kept safe on removable media?
Answer: yes I have all my files except operating system on an external hard drive. If needed it would not be a problem to reinstall everything
9 Do you have a disc image of your "perfect configuration"?
Answer: not that I know off
10 Do you have a Microsoft Windows installation disc, or a manufacturers Restore/recovery disc
Answer: yes i have the original windows xp professional disc
11 Have you made a note of all your product serial keys including the one for Windows itelf?
Answer: can be easily done
12 are you still running peer to peer filesharing applications E.G. Bit torrent on your computer?, (as indicated in your log files…) are you aware of the risks in this? and do you understand how your machine may be being used by bit torrent as a server, with your system resources being used by it?
Answer: yes I run it very occasionally. I always shout it done once files are downloaded. Yes I do understand the P2P concept.
I hope I have provided satisfactory answers.
Post back with your comments and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
I should add that it takes around two minutes for the PC to start up from the point where I put my password into the welcome screen and until it's ready.
I have just try to restore back to 1 March but it won't let me.
It's like something is hugging the the memory.
Regards,
Roligan
Hi, Ok, Thanks for the information
1 The first thing I'd recommend is to uninstall Bit torrent and any other Peer to peer file sharing applications you have. a Reboot will be required after the uninstall
2 Next run chkdsk /r ( the space between the k and the / needs to be there)
here's how
start>run
type in the white box
chkdsk /r
click Ok
a black window will open (the volume is locked….. type
Y
press the Enter key
this will schedule the command on the next restart….the black window will now close..if it doesn't then type
exit
press the Enter key
now close down your machine in the normal way, wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then restart your computer.
A pale blue screen will open with white writing and your computer system will be checked….this check could take several hours ( Its important that once started it is not interupted, DO NOT turn off your machine or press any keys whilst the scans/correcting actions are being undertaken)
Once the 5 full passes have been completed then your machine will automatically reboot.
3 Next run sfc /scannow
Here's how
Start>Run
type in the white box
sfc /scannow
note the space, it needs to be there.
Click OK
The Windows Protected System File checker will start and will run for around 20 minutes or so, it will check that all protected Windows System files are in the correct place and are undamaged…. if any are found missing in the wrong place or damaged then windows will attempt to load fresh copies from other parts of your machine. In the event that it can't find correct copies it will ask you to insert your Microsoft Windows XP installation disc so that fresh copies can be copied over to the dll cache.
Your Microsoft XP Pro installation disc should be at the same service pack level as your current installation ( SP3) however SP 2 may well do the trick..post back if this is a problem.
Next do a disc clean up, remove all junk files, temp files older than 48 hours, empty your caches, and uninstall any other applications that you have installed but do not really need.
Next do a further normal close down and a restart and then defragment your C drive,
Finally close down again and then restart and download and install all Windows critical and important updates…then test your machine for 2 days.. see if matters improve over the period, try to get in several reboots.
Let us know how you go
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
I have done everything you have asked me to do but it has made no difference.
I'll reboot a few times over the weekend and we'll speak on Monday.
I'm afraid a clean install will be in order but we will see
Roligan
I'm afraid a clean install will be in order but we will see
This is not looking too good….do you have a disc image of your perfect set up…made with Acronis, Paragon Ghost, Macrium, Drive Image Xml or similar?
as this will have you up and running fast and sweet in less time than it takes to walk the dog!
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
no I'm afraid I don't.
I think I just need to wipe my C drive clean and re-install windows XP, office and my other applications.
Will take some time but so be it.
Roligan
Hi, Ok I understand,
Just one last thing for you to try, before you take the more severe measure of a format and reinstall.
It could be that you have a corrupt user profile that is causing the slow downs……
Its quick and simple to create a new user profile and then copy your stuff across (actually you can easily test your new user profile, without copying your old stuff across)
just try this
Start>Control Panel> User accounts and create a new user account, give it a suitable name and allow it administrative privileges..when its all complete (only takes a few seconds) then close down your computer, wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen, and then restart your computer.
Now log into your newly created account..dont try to copy your stuff across just yet…… but try out the new account…. has the problem been fixed….. if yes then it was probably a corrupt old user profile that was the culprit…. if its not improved then you can go back to your original plan.
here's the full instructions on how to copy your stuff across (should the new account be successful) http://www.windowvistarepair.com/articles/…le_Corrupt.html
Before you even consider removing your old user profile check carefully your back up…….. in particular if for example you use outlook express, all your emails, address books etc….. once you remove your old user profile it will be too late!
Let us know if this des the trick for you.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
no luck.
I have done the following
1. Used Mozbackup and saved the file to my external hard drive
2. Backed up my .pst file and also copied the pst file to my external hard drive
3. Moved all documents to my external hard drive
I think that's it before we do a clean install.
If you send me instructions then I can print it out before I proceed.
Roligan
Ps. I have several other PCs so can stay in contact if anything unforeseen happens
I have also gone to dell.com and with my service tag downloaded all drivers and saved them on my external drive so I think we're ready to go.
I think next step is to partition my c drive.
Please let me have instructions at your convenience.
Roligan
Hi Paws,
so I have started the process
1. Unplugged all external devices except wireless keyboard and mouse
2. Booted from Windows XP disc
3. Started partition of C drive (chose the non-quick one)
Setup is formatting the partiton now and have done 25% so far.
I hope I'm on the right path
Roligan
I think my hard drive is fried which could explain why everything was so slow.
The partition has been done and XP is now installing devices. However, for the last 10 minutes it has said it would take approximately 35 mins but nothing is happening.
I'll leave it for a little while longer.
Roligan
So windows have been installed and the welcome screen comes up with the name administrator and asks for a password.
'Enter' doesn't work and neither does 'admin'.
What do I put in?
Roligan
When I type in a password I get an error message saying
'the system cannot log you on due to the following error
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted
Please try again or consult your system administrator'
During the setup process I was not asked to provide a password.
What to do?
Roligan
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI