Hello
After purchasing Acronis true Image, I just read that Win 7 has an imaging feature. I have xp so for now the purchase is good.
Is this a 'backup' ot a true imaging program in Win 7?
Would you use it over Acronis?
Thank you
The backup that comes with Windows 7 is okay, but not in the same league as Acronis.
I tried it and was not happy with it so am still using ATI 2010 on Win 7.
Has no built in scheduler.
Has no F11 recovery
Has no Secure Zone
It decides what will be backed up if you do an image backup
I was not successful getting it to do incremental backups
Structure of backup was junk
It's slow - slow - slow
That's all I can remember but there were other issues as well. I would have liked to switch to using it and dumping Acronis because their support stinks. They seldom release fixes, just new releases you have to pay for to get fixes that should have been in the release you currently have, but even with that I've not found a better backup program.
Using Acronis, I create a full backup, then 13 incrementals.
Once the next full backup is complete, the older 14 are deleted and I repeat the cycle.
This allows me to browse any one of up to 14 backups to extract a file or folder or restore to any of those levels.
Disk drive imaging is the most important if you want to avoid PC disaster. Well example is last Post Windows System Restore Issues, Windows Crash few hours ago. These examples Forum has a lot.
I am planning to change my old Norton Ghost v8.2 with newer disk drive imaging program. Acronis is a candidate. Also planning to buy new PC with Windows 7.
It is obviously that Acronis True Image Home 2010 have many options that Windows 7 built-in Disk Imaging lack. Acronis True Image is a famous, speed and reliable.
The question is, does the Windows 7 backup and specially restore function is reliable?
Spice: Acronis can to convert Acronis’ backup images (.tib) into Windows 7 virtual hard disk files (.vhd) and vice versa, providing compatibility for Microsoft Windows 7 backup!
I am glad to hear that Windows has a true imaging program and appreciate the comments pro and con.
I have Acronis on the desktop and Macrium free on the laptop.
I keep it simple doing system backups weekly just so I can recover if something happens.
I did need to pick up a lost file not too long ago, and it was a relief.
Can you retrieve a single file with the imaging program that comes with Win 7?
According to the Windows 7 help for Back up and restore: frequently asked questions
How do I restore files?
You restore files using the Restore Files wizard. You can restore individual files, multiple files, or all files in a backup. You can also restore just your files or files for all people that use the computer. To restore files, see Restore files from a backup.
The tutorial showed how to back up files so recovering them is implied, unless I missed something.
Thanx for the referral.
I notice that you said Acronis charges for updates. Does a person like myself who just does a system backup weekly need the updates? Are they a security feature or just providing advaced features?
Acronis charges for new releases, which is almost the only place they put in fixes. I will admit they recently released a fix to ATM 2010 for but this is unusual. The other point of contention I have with them is they only provide a 30 day guarantee for live (phone/E-mail) customer support.
If ATM is working for you then there is no need to upgrade. As I mentioned, I have ATM 2010 and have no intention of upgrading to ATM 2012 or whatever then next release is called.