Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problem with IE-8 Vs IE-7

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

Ztruker;.....

I see that Doug is/was here also ....
The killer to all that you propose is that this computer does NOT have a CD-RW drive..... :pullhair: ...
It is read only , NO write.....
That is the reason that I am VERY hesitant to do a Windows repair....
I have about 10GB of files etc to wade thru & transfer to another computer to save in case there's a screw.up....
Besides , WHO copies 10 GBs on CDs ???....NOT this kid !!!

Ron, use FireFox. That works, right? The only time you need IE is for Windows Update which can be handled via Automatic Updates and some web sites that think they need it for some reason.
That would at least allow you to do what you need to do.

I have NOT tried FireFox for the problem....
As a matter of fact , I deleted it some time ago....
As I explained in previous threads , FireFox IS believe it or not , actually SLOWER that IE7....
I did not compare it against IE8....
Google Chrome should be called Google "Copper".....
Waaaaay too basic & some of the features that I like in IE are missing....
I may give it a second chance....
I've also tried Opera & the fat lady sang..... :lol: ....
So I'm stuck with IE whether I want it or not....

SOooooo....Here we go again.... :wall: ....

Since you are still on Dial-up (groan!) I'd recommend going to a friends house and downloading everything you need there then burn it to CD for your use.

While I do have friends here , NONE of them have a computer that I could use..... :( ....

THANKS for your help.....

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....

Edited by Ron.M, 28 March 2010 - 01:50 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

You now have IE8 reinstalled, right?

Download and install Revo Uninstaller. Use it to uninstall IE8, see if it does a better job of it than Add/Remove Programs does.

When you use Revo, do not allow the system to reboot when it says it has to. Let Revo finish it's job then reboot when it's done.

What it does is run the normal uninstaller you get with Add/Remove Programs.
Then it scans the registry and hard drive for left over entries/files/folders and presents them to you for inspection.
For registry, check all the Bolded ones only, then delete them.
For files and folders, Select All then Delete.
Close Revo when done then reboot.

Do the web sites work correctly with IE7? If so, then you need to chose to either stay with IE7 or switch to another browser like FireFox or Chrome. Agreee Chrome is somewhat basic but i's fast and seems to work with most web sites. You could use FF or Chrome for the web sites that don't render corr3ectly with IE8.

Also, you can download the standalone installable IE8 .exe here rather than using Windows Update to get it: IE8 Home Page, though I think you may already have this.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#48 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Ztruker.....

1st a little refresher;=>....

From post #18;=>...

Later on after websurfing & checking on my emails , I decided to switch back to IE-7....
I use a program called >>> "Revo Uninstaller" <<< as a way to uninstall a program & get rid of ALL loose ends....IE-8 was apparently gone...
However , when I went back online , it was STILL there !!!!.....

From post #26;=>...

>>> I picked up a virus that I think I totally got rid of using "system restore".........<<<
Going to Eset to make sure....Will let you know...
After switching back & forth between IE-7 & IE-8 , I now am having problems with BOTH IE-7 & IE-8.... ....
IE -7 is badly messed up & IE-8 is getting glitches....

BTW:...Eset found 2 files infected & quarantined both.... Posted Image

From post #28;=>....

My IE-7 is messing up or I'd junk out IE-8 in a heartbeat....... ...

From post #30;=>....

I have tried to get rid of IE-8 EVERY which way I can think of....Tried to use Add/Remove programs , Windows Installer Clean Up Utility , >>>> Revo Uninstaller <<< , NO joy.... ....

So much for Revo etc....

In reply to your post;=>....

You now have IE8 reinstalled, right?

I have IE8 against my will....That is to say I can NOT Uninstall it........
I have uninstalled (With Revo & Add/Remove) , re-installed , uninstalled , x number of times with NO joy....
I have used Revo for some time now & I'm really quite happy with it....
I followed your instructions to the letter EVERY time I use that program....

Do the web sites work correctly with IE7?

YES , it does , IF I could just get RID of IE8...

You could use FF or Chrome for the web sites that don't render correctly with IE8.

That's going to be a challenge...
I know the websites that do not work with IE8 , how do I know if other websites are working or not unless I go there with IE7 first ????
Getting RID of IE8 is my MAIN objective....
After that , I'm sticking with what I know works....
NO more experimentations...

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en is where I got IE8 from...Same link as yours....

THANK you VERY much....

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

#49 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Ron, I'm out of ideas. I use SeaMonkey (very much like FireFox as it's based on the same rendering engine only it's the full suite, like Mozilla and Netscape were) and there are very few sites that I have problems with other than Windows Update. For those sites I use an extension called Coral IE-Tab which allows me to view specific sites with IE, even though I'm using SeaMonkey. Coral IE-Tab also works with FireFox. Other than that, save your data, then try a repair install as we discussed, using a slipstreamed XP CD.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#50 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

Ztruker;.....

Ron, I'm out of ideas.

I know ALL too well what that's like..... :pullhair: ......&....... :wall: ....

Other than that, save your data, then try a repair install as we discussed, using a slipstreamed XP CD.

It will take me awhile to get all the data saved....I have a second computer that "may" have 10GB of available space to transfer all my files , etc , to....If so , that would save a tremendous amount of time & work....Bear with me & I'll get back to you about the CD....

In the meantime;=>... THANK you VERY MUCH for ALL your efforts.... :notworthy:

Later...Ron.M....... B) ....