Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problem with IE-8 Vs IE-7

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Doug;.....

Here ya go;....

Doug: Edited to delete link

Altho I'm NO expert by any means ,looks good to me....
All those checkered flags look like winners.....
The last time I ran a test there , it showed an older Windows OS...
This time it got it right....
But , it shows 3 monitors.....ALL exactly the same...I've got only one....
Also , these 2 are long gone;=>...Market Samurai Alliance Software Pty Ltd Aug 02, 2009 & DNA BitTorrent Inc. Nov 12, 2009 .....

EDIT:...
Also in the same list , (Installed Software) you'll see about 5 updates for IE-7....(Mar,10,2010)
On this last go around installing IE-8 , I did it offline so the IE-8 updates that you get
during installation did not get installed....Takes about an hour to download & install them...
As previously stated , updates made NO difference on the problem....
I tried to find the updates at Microsoft.com , but no luck....

Have fun & GOOD LUCK.....

THANK YOU.......

Later....Ron.M..... B) .....

Edited by Doug, 15 March 2010 - 09:53 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hi Ron, It could be something quite basic. You are running IE 7. Your Advanced Settings presently do not include "Show Pictures" (here's a screenshot of my IE 7 Advanced Settings - use it to compare to your own) IE_7_show_pictures.jpg If the above doesn't remedy the situation, we'll keep researching, but please give it a try. _______________________________ The following is taken from your Installed Software I've included recommendations If the item is only marked with <-- ?? , then please consider whether or not you know what it is, and whether you use it. If not, uninstall it. GetGo Download Manager <-- If you are not using it, uninstall it Advanced SystemCare 3 – Iobit Dec 18, 2009 (I avoid IObit like the Plague ) Recommend uninstall System Requirements Lab for Intel Husdawg, LLC ( this is a subscription help utility and Driver scanner, uninstall) Ogg Codecs 0.81.15562 <– ( Your Ogg may be just fine, but consider trying K Lite Mega Codec Pack) Opera 10.01 (if you’re not using it, uninstall it) DNA – BitTorrent Inc. ( if you’re not using it, uninstall it ) CNET TechTracker ( if you’re not using it, uninstall it ) Adobe AIR (you already have Foxit and don’t need Adobe AIR) Market Samurai <-- ?? Atomic Cleaner <-- ?? GoToMeeting 4.1.0.366 <-- Not using it? Get rid of it RamBooster <-- almost certainly consuming more than it saves, uninstall Privacy Cuardian 4.1 PC Tools <-- ?? Adobe Reader 9.1 Lite <-- again, you already have Foxit and don’t need Adobe
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#18 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Doug;....

It could be something quite basic.

I CERTAINLY HOPE SO !!!!!

Your Advanced Settings presently do not include "Show Pictures"

At THIS moment I'm running IE-7...
The advanced settings are & WERE set as shown below from my computer;=>....
Show_pix.jpg

Later on after websurfing & checking on my emails , I decided to switch back to IE-7....
I use a program called "Revo Uninstaller" as a way to uninstall a program & get rid of ALL loose ends....
IE-8 was apparently gone...
However , when I went back online , it was STILL there !!!!..... :o
I then scanned for viruses etc...Clean...
That's when I used "Advanced SystemCare 3" ......
I'm also a bit leary of that program , however , it has fixed some quirks on my computer & is building up some trust...
It also solved the IE-8 issue mentioned above....
At one time I did have a program with "IObit" in the name....
It was trash & is LONG gone....
For now , I'd like to keep "Advanced SystemCare 3"...

The following is taken from your Installed Software
I've included recommendations
If the item is only marked with <-- ?? , then please consider whether or not you know what it is, and whether you use it. If not, uninstall it.

GetGo Download Manager <-- If you are not using it, uninstall it....Use it occassionally...
Advanced SystemCare 3 – Iobit Dec 18, 2009 (I avoid IObit like the Plague ) Recommend uninstall .... Please let me keep or reccommend a sub program...
System Requirements Lab for Intel Husdawg, LLC ( this is a subscription help utility and Driver scanner, uninstall)..... GONE !!!
Ogg Codecs 0.81.15562 <– ( Your Ogg may be just fine, but consider trying K Lite Mega Codec Pack) ..... When I find it , I will try it...Found it...24 + MBs...Ogg=4.75 MBs....Will wait awhile...
Opera 10.01 (if you’re not using it, uninstall it)..... GONE !!!
DNA – BitTorrent Inc. ( if you’re not using it, uninstall it ) ..... I have NO idea why this keeps showing up...It WAS removed LONG ago.....
CNET TechTracker ( if you’re not using it, uninstall it )..... Using it...
Adobe AIR (you already have Foxit and don’t need Adobe AIR) ..... GONE !!!
Market Samurai <-- ?? .... LONG GONE & just now found a remnant & it's gone
Atomic Cleaner <-- ?? .....Use it occassionally....
GoToMeeting 4.1.0.366 <-- Not using it? Get rid of it .... Use it occassionally...
RamBooster <-- almost certainly consuming more than it saves, uninstall..... GONE !!!
Privacy Guardian 4.1 PC Tools <-- ?? ..... Use it regularly....
Adobe Reader 9.1 Lite <-- again, you already have Foxit and don’t need Adobe .... GONE !!!

We obviously , along with removing some potential sources of the problem , freed up some disc space....
As if I needed any....Posted Image
I'm now going to fully install IE-8 WITH the required updates & try it out at the problem website...
As soon as that is done I will post back with results....

THANK you , sir.....

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

Edited by Ron.M, 15 March 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#19 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Doug;.....

After installing IE-8 , same problem , no help.....
Also , re-ran PCPitstop...
Link;=>....

Doug: Edited to delete links

One thing I noticed with IE-8 is when PCPitstop asks for disableing
some stuff that may give the test a problem , I usually disable Avast & turn off my firewall....
With IE-8 , I can NOT disable Avast....

Also , if you go to Test Details & scroll down to Internet Configuration you'll see this;=>...

Description Your Results
Bandwidth Down Not tested
Bandwidth Up Not tested <<<EDIT:....The license for these tests HAS expired....
You might want to look into that....

Later...Ron.M.... B) .....

#20 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

I found this: Your bandwidth was not tested. The most common reason for this is that Flash is not installed or not up to date. Please update your Flash client and retest. but did not see anything about: Bandwidth Up Not tested <<<EDIT:....The license for these tests HAS expired....

#21 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

I edited your posts to remove the links to your Pit Test Results. I won't have a chance to look at them until much later today. No. I did not detect that "the license has expired" <-- and I really do not know what you are referring to. When the Pit Test fails to test download/upload connection speeds, the problem is generally related to corrupted Flash Player. Complete uninstall of Adobe Flash, using their uninstall utility and then fresh install of Adobe Flash is recommended. Or it could be that there is a problem with your JAVA JRE. Uninstalling and Reinstalling JAVA JRE may resolve the matter. Our next steps can be picked up in your Forum Thread. Doug

#22 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Doug;.....

I edited your posts to remove the links to your Pit Test Results.
I won't have a chance to look at them until much later today.

THANK YOU X 2 !!!

No. I did not detect that "the license has expired" <-- and I really do not know what you are referring to.

When I ran the tests the 1st time , I got a warning in red letters that the license was due to expire in 2 days when the bandwidth test screen came up...
It ran & successfully completed the tests that time....
The 2nd time I ran it (More than 2 days later) , I got the following;=>....

PCPitstop_Bandwith_test.jpg

That clearly says to me that the license is expired or invalid...... :( .....
Now , if you check my 1st Pitstop tests . you'll see that they ran OK... :) .....
Looking at the test results on the 2nd test you'll see that they did not..... :( ....
On BOTH tests the Adobe Flash & JAVA JRE are the SAME !!!!
So I fail to see a connection between those files & the tests.... <_< ......

I respectfully request you go to PCPitStop & run the test yourself...... :D .....
When you get to the bandwidth test , it stops there & the only way to complete
the series of the tests is to scroll down slightly & click on "Skip this Test"....

Hope this info helps.... :D ....

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....

#23 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

Ron, I just ran a full PCPitStop test, no problems: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=23133565

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#24 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Ztruker;....

I was there about 30 minutes ago , re-ran the tests again & got the SAME results....
The license HAS EXPIRED !!!!
Doug has confirmed my findings....
Here is further proof;=>...
This is from MY computer;=>....
Bandwidth__2.jpg

This is from YOUR computer;=>...
Bandwidth__1.jpg

You'll kindly notice that on both units "Rated Speed" for
"Bandwidth Up" & "Bandwidth Down" is unknown....
I have NO clue as to how your unit got a "Tested Speed" of 9756 & 977
& mine says "Not Tested"....
Becaaaauuuuse the test was not run....Correct ????

I'm not sure how OR why you did not get the same screen that I did....
I ran PC Pitstop Full Tests....
The link you provided takes us to a different info deal than the info from
the link from TechShare....(I think ..)

Later....Ron.M..... B) ....

#25 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Ron, I don't know what's going on. I ran the test just before posting my results. I ran it with IE8, only Adobe and Java extensions and all Accellerators disabled. I run as bare bones IE as I can get. PCPit.jpg Rated speed shows as unknown because I don't know what my Cable connection is supposed to get so I never filled out that part. The actual numbers are impressive for sure. Just tested it again, almost identical numbers: PCPit2.jpg

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

Ztruker;....

Ron, I don't know what's going on.

IF YOU don't know what's going on here , there's NO way in hell that I do .....

Did you get this screen during the tests you ran;=>...
.PCPitstop_Bandwith_test.jpg

We are getting a bit off track here.... :huh: ....

I picked up a virus that I think I totally got rid of using "system restore".........
Going to Eset to make sure....Will let you know...
After switching back & forth between IE-7 & IE-8 , I now am having problems with BOTH IE-7 & IE-8.... :angry: ....
IE -7 is badly messed up & IE-8 is getting glitches....

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

#27 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

Ron, I'm inquiring with Admin over at PCPitstop to see what that means. A difference between your connection and Ztruker's, is that you are on dial-up, and he is connected via DSL or Cable, don't know which. I am not having any problem with my machine running the whole Pit Test, including Upload/Download speed. Could be related to "dial-up" .... or not. I'll let you know. In the meantime, upload/download speed probably has nothing to do with your difficult with Bold, Italics, Underline, Quote function at that website.

#28 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Doug;....

OK , NO problem.....
Nothing EVER seems simple for me/my computer....... :pullhair: .....

Let me know if/when you get results on that test with 2 computers & IE-7 vs IE-8...... :D .....

In the meantime, upload/download speed probably has nothing to do with your difficult with Bold, Italics, Underline, Quote function at that website.

I totally agree....If anything , it has to do with IE-8...... :( .....

My IE-7 is messing up or I'd junk out IE-8 in a heartbeat....... :wacko: ...

Thanks.....

Later...Ron.M..... B) .....

#29 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Ron.M,

I'd encourage you to Uninstall IE 8, at least for the time-being.
Then use the MS instructions to repair your IE 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Regarding difficulty with Upload/Download Internet connection speed testing, the Admin at PCPitstop recommends that you clear your Browser Cache (Temporary Internet Files and cookies) before running the PCPitstop OverDrive Full Tests

As for the Pit Test itself, let's be sure you are using the current Pit Test
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/ <-- Click on this link to get to the proper Pit Test page to login

Doug

#30 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

Doug;....

I'd encourage you to Uninstall IE 8, at least for the time-being.
Then use the MS instructions to repair your IE 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

I have tried to get rid of IE-8 EVERY which way I can think of....Tried to use Add/Remove programs , Windows Installer Clean Up Utility , Revo Uninstaller , NO joy.... :angry: ....
I down loaded the file (14.1 MBs) from the link above , installed it , ran it & here's the graphic that KEEPS popping up NO matter what I do;=>...
IE_8_screw_up_3_18_10....jpg

That is reffering to IE-8 , which does NOT show up in Add/Remove programs , & is running as I type this...This is NOT IE-7.... :pullhair: .....
Haaaayyyyyeeeeellllppppp!!!!!!.... :( ....

Regarding difficulty with Upload/Download Internet connection speed testing, the Admin at PCPitstop recommends that you clear your Browser Cache (Temporary Internet Files and cookies) before running the PCPitstop OverDrive Full Tests

Guess what ???...I went to your link & ran the tests.....A BIG DRAMATIC CHANGE !!!!....The graphics are entirely different than what it was before....AND it DID run an Upload & Download Bandwidth test....& it DID show Bandwidth results....
A little refresher course;....
The first & second times I ran the PCPitstop tests , apparently they were for "Full Test"....NOT the "Overdrive" version.....

OverDrive Transition Alert. We are in the process of transitioning our users to OverDrive. OverDrive has many more features, and in the near future, we will halt new development for the old tests formally known as Full Tests. All the links have been changed to point toward OverDrive. In the short term, if you still want to use the old tests, you can click here and you can use the old style browser here.

It started AUTOMATICALLY on the "Overdrive" version....
You have to select the "Full" (Old version) test....
That was NOT the case when I first started this....
Also , on the new "Overdrive" , I could not find a "Tech Express" link as I did find on the older "Full" tests....
The "Bandwidth" tests works now on both the "Full" & "Overdrive" tests....
The license issue apparently has been taken care of....

So much for PCPitstop....

Back to IE-7.......HELP !!!!

THANK you VERY much..... :D.....

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....