This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer Gets Slower and Slower

33 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can't remember the text word for word. It says the equivalent of "Startup Repair could not detect a problem. If you have recently attached a device such as an mp3 player or flash drive to your computer, disconnect if from the computer, restart, and try again. If you continue to receive this message, contact the system administrator or device manufactorer." Again, I do not have anything attached to my computer. I still have the same problem I described. What can I do?
Did you install a keylogger on your machine? Look for alogger.exe … you will need to unhide hidden files and folders:
1. Click the start orb
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Folder Options
4. Click the View tab
5. Click Show hidden files and folders
6. If you want to see system files as well, uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
7. Click OK

If you find this file, delete it. Rehide hidden files and folders, then restart your computer. Please let me know

Still, nothing detected. I can't complete an A-squared scan, however, and various other things don't work. Today, when I tried to scan with A-squared, it stopped at the following point:
HKEY_USERS/Aspnet/Software/SoftActivity/Activity Logger/cstorage

This is what A-squared found and couldn't get past:
http://www.softactivity.com/
This may be a dumb question . . . but where exactly would alogger.exe be if it were on my computer? A search did not detect it on my computer. And no, I'm pretty sure that I didn't install a keylogger on my computer.
Do you know how to get to this in the registry?
HKEY_USERS/Aspnet/Software/SoftActivity/Activity Logger/cstorage

Type regedit in the start search box and click on each arrow to expand from HKEY_USERS
That's the thing. So, I unhide hidden files. I go into the registry and click "HKEY_USERS" and there's no subfolder for "Aspnet." When I click on the other subfolders then look at "Software" under them, I don't see a folder named "Soft Activity."
From your OTL log, the only thing I couldn't look up was this Item:
C:\Windows\System32\unknown_mini_4106FC97D9FA4B46ADCEE3ADDB167EB6.7z

This does not look like a System32 file. Do you know what it is? It looks to belong to 7zip
No, I don't know what that is. I don't remember downloading 7-zip. Unless it came with the computer? Anyway, I don't know how that got there or what it is. Should I do anything with it?
Okay, here are the results:

VirSCAN.org Scanned Report :
Scanned time : 2010/02/28 12:16:15 (EST)
Scanner results: Scanners did not find malware!
File Name : unknown_mini_4106FC97D9FA4B46ADCEE3ADDB167EB6.7z
File Size : 36282 byte
File Type : 7-zip archive data, version 0.2
MD5 : 92496a5839eb41f5fbd313a76448cf11
SHA1 : 387c2a0b939b9180c43cc13035ae5a47527241e7
Online report : http://virscan.org/report/645a2bfebb618639…09286be358.html

Scanner Engine Ver Sig Ver Sig Date Time Scan result
a-squared 4.5.0.8 20100228171148 2010-02-28 4.36 -
AhnLab V3 2010.03.01.00 2010.03.01 2010-03-01 1.05 -
AntiVir 8.2.1.176 7.10.4.158 2010-02-26 0.38 -
Antiy 2.0.18 20100226.3925867 2010-02-26 0.12 -
Arcavir 2009 201002271857 2010-02-27 0.02 -
Authentium 5.1.1 201002271223 2010-02-27 1.26 -
AVAST! 4.7.4 100228-0 2010-02-28 0.01 -
AVG 8.5.720 271.1.1/2714 2010-02-28 0.32 -
BitDefender 7.81008.5340408 7.30580 2010-02-28 5.51 -
ClamAV 0.95.3 10464 2010-02-28 0.01 -
Comodo 3.13.579 4096 2010-02-28 0.96 -
CP Secure 1.3.0.5 2010.02.28 2010-02-28 0.01 -
Dr.Web 5.0.1.12222 2010.02.28 2010-02-28 5.75 -
F-Prot 4.4.4.56 20100228 2010-02-28 1.38 -
F-Secure 7.02.73807 2010.02.27.04 2010-02-27 0.25 -
Fortinet 11.533- 11.533 2010-02-27 0.19 -
GData 19.10706/19.787 20100228 2010-02-28 6.56 -
ViRobot 20100227 2010.02.27 2010-02-27 0.41 -
Ikarus T3.1.01.80 2010.02.28.75300 2010-02-28 4.63 -
JiangMin 13.0.900 2010.02.28 2010-02-28 5.75 -
Kaspersky 5.5.10 2010.02.28 2010-02-28 0.10 -
KingSoft 2009.2.5.15 2010.2.28.20 2010-02-28 0.61 -
McAfee 5.3.00 5906 2010-02-28 3.63 -
Microsoft 1.5502 2010.02.28 2010-02-28 6.49 -
Norman 6.01.09 6.01.00 2010-02-10 4.01 -
Panda 9.05.01 2010.02.28 2010-02-28 1.74 -
Trend Micro 9.120-1004 6.882.06 2010-02-28 0.00 -
Quick Heal 10.00 2010.02.27 2010-02-27 1.47 -
Rising 20.0 22.36.06.04 2010-02-28 0.41 -
Sophos 3.04.1 4.50 2010-02-28 3.60 -
Sunbelt 3.9.2406.2 5708 2010-02-28 3.02 -
Symantec 1.3.0.24 20100227.007 2010-02-27 0.05 -
nProtect 20100227.01 7579365 2010-02-27 4.52 -
The Hacker [removed] v00215 2010-02-28 0.36 -
VBA32 3.12.12.2 20100225.2226 2010-02-25 2.70 -
VirusBuster 4.5.11.10 10.120.10/2019586 2010-02-28 2.35 -

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI