This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Major Problem

43 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It has the normal options. Restore, Minimize, and Close are the useable ones. If I click on minimize here, it works just fine. …Apparently it's working just fine now. (Just tried normal clicking on it and it worked.) I don't know what happened. When I got up, my computer'd been updated, so maybe it had something to do with that or the restart or something. How strange. I'm sorry to bother you with the inconvenience. =\
Hi

Sorry about the delay. Good to see the minimize problem has cleared up

Let's try something

Right click near the clock and click task manager
In Task Manager
  • click file
  • click New Task(Run…)
  • copy and paste the following line (including the "" marks) into the open: field
    "C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe"
  • click ok
Try the F keys now.
Hi Snowflake343,

Let's see if can get the sound back with a reinstall.

Go HERE to visit the Toshiba site.

  • the down arrow, beside "All operating Systems
  • click XP SP2/SP3
  • click the down arrow beside "All catagories" and click "Sounds"

I suggest using the first driver in the list.
Realtek Audio Driver for Windows XP V5.10.0.5404(v5.10.0.5404; 10-01-2007; 24.43M)


Download to your desktop. Follow the instructions on the download page for installing.


I'd like an uninstall list to make sure some other utilities are installed.

Open OTL and in the Extra Regitry section, please change the setting to All. Click Run Scan. A second log called Extra.txt will be produced, please post it's contents.
Hi Snowflake343,

Let's check a couple of things.

Click Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices.
  • On the Volume tab in the Speakers setting section click the Speaker volume button, make sure the sliders are all the way to the right
  • Back on the Volume tab click the advanced botton make sure your speakers are selected
  • On the Sounds tab Is there a Sound scheme shown?
  • On the Audio tab, make sure all 3 are set to RealTek
  • Click the volume button and make sure nothing is set to mute


Next

Click "Start."
Click "Control Panel."
Double click "System."
Click "Hardware."

Anything with an exclaimation mark?
- Check. - Check. - It says "Windows Default" is selected in the dropdown menu thing. - In the Audio tab, the three selections are as follows: Sound Playback: Realtek HD Audio output Sound Recording: Realtek HD Audio Input MIDI Music Playback: Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth (I can't change this one, this is the only option.) - Check. There's nothing in the entire device manager that has an exclamation mark.
Hi Hi Snowflake343,

Ok we'll have to do some reinstalling to see if we can resolve this.

This is the list of programs that are related to the problems with the sound and Fkeys. Please reinstall them in the order posted. Try the sound and keys after each one. If one of the reinstalls resolve the problem you do not need to continue with the others.

Toshiba ACPI Common Modules
Toshiba Controls
Toshiba Utilities
Toshiba ConfigFree
Toshiba Hotkey Utility for Display Device
Toshiba Dual Pointing Device Utility
Toshiba Wireless Hotkey Utility
The function keys are working after the first one. (Including the volume wheel thing on the front.) Yay! :D And the second one fixed the sound! Yay! I have one more question (one and a half, really), then I'll be out of your hair. When I restart my computer, it first comes up with the Intel® Boot Agent and tells me my MAC address, GUID, and my IP address a few times before saying no boot file was found and that it's going to exit. Is there any way I can bypass this message upon restart? Also, is there any way that I can get rid of the MS Recovery Console so I don't have to choose an operating system every reboot? Thank you so much! I'm sorry I was such a pain. My computer really doesn't like me. :P Thank you again, for everthing you did. I really appreciate it.
Hi Snowflake343,

Good job. Our Tech Department came through again. Thanks Paws and AppleOddity.

When I restart my computer, it first comes up with the Intel® Boot Agent and tells me my MAC address, GUID, and my IP address a few times before saying no boot file was found and that it's going to exit.

Let me see about this.


Also, is there any way that I can get rid of the MS Recovery Console so I don't have to choose an operating system every reboot?

There is a way of removing this, however I would advise against it. Sometime the Recovery Console is the only way into an otherwise unbootable computer. There shouldn't be the need to choose your Operating System, Windows should be selected by default. It adds 2 seconds to the boot time. Let me know.


I'll need to go through this thread and put together a tools cleanup instructions for you. I'll post bask asap.

There shouldn't be the need to choose your Operating System, Windows should be selected by default. It adds 2 seconds to the boot time.


It brings up the screen with the two of them and gives you 30 seconds to choose one before it automatically does so.

There shouldn't be the need to choose your Operating System, Windows should be selected by default. It adds 2 seconds to the boot time.


It brings up the screen with the two of them and gives you 30 seconds to choose one before it automatically does so.

There shouldn't be the need to choose your Operating System, Windows should be selected by default. It adds 2 seconds to the boot time.


It brings up the screen with the two of them and gives you 30 seconds to choose one before it automatically does so.
Hi Snowflake343,

It brings up the screen with the two of them and gives you 30 seconds to choose one before it automatically does so.

30 seconds seems long. In windows explorer, please go to your C:\ drive. In the right hand panel locate boot.ini. Right click it and choose open or open with (it will open with notepad). Please copy and paste it's contents into your next reply.

For the Intel Boot Agent, reboot your computer and enter the bios. You should have an option to change the boot order. Make sure Boot to Network is last. Or if you have the option set Boot to Network to disabled.

If you have problems locating anything let us know what you do see and we'll go from there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI