This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Unable to activate sleep mode/can't sync iPod.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using Vista home premium on a Toshiba A 100 laptop with CA virus checker. I have been working with LD Tate and he has cleared my malware and virus problems, however I still have two issues:

1) In the start button my sleep option is not enabled
2) I am unable to sync my ipod touch. The self diagnostic test indicates my ipod can not be found?

Any suggestions to rectify these problems would be appreciated.

Thank you


All Clean
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Win32_SillyS…us_t110050.html
Thanks for the links. Regarding the iPod I have had it attached to this laptop for years and never had a problem syncing it. I have tried each of my 4 USB ports and there is no change. I have lclinked on the link and reviewed the sync options and tried to set up a partnership but was unable to. Regarding the sleep issue I found and set the allow computer to sleep options, clicked it and clicked apply and did a reboot but the sleep option in the windows meatball remains greyed out. I have tried this twice. Any other thoughts? Thanks
I did the latest Windows update package yesterday and I have the latest itunes software update and I "think" I have the latest itunes drivers. I'll check.
I'm going to ask you do do one more thing, please. I know LDTate cleaned up your computer, but I see you have uTorrent , which could have been the likely cause of your Trojan.

Please run a free online scan with Kaspersky AntiVirus (works only
with MS Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher).
http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan.html

1. click the "Accept" button to
accept the user agreement, install the ActiveX control, and download the
program.
2. When you get the Windows dialog asking if you want to install this
software, click the "Install" button.
3. When the "Update progress" line changes to "Ready" and the
"NEXT ->" button lights up with a
green arrow, click it.
4. Click on the "Scan Settings" button, and in the next window
select the "extended" database, and click Ok.
5. Under "Please select a target to scan:", click My Computer
to start the scan.
6. When the scan is finished, click the "Save as .txt" button, and
save the file as kavscan.txt to your Desktop, close the Kaspersky On-line
Scanner window, and post the text in kavscan.txt in your next reply.

Please restart your system, and post the log from Kaspersky's on-line virus scan.
Do this …

  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u18 allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Programs and Features and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u18-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Now see if you can run Kaspersky
I have completed the java removal/instal Kaspersky has downloaded the program and is now updating the data base. Very slow it is at 6% and then hopefully the instalation will follow as per your instructions. I am unable to complete this task. The following error message came up : Update has failed Program has failed to start. Close Kaspersky Online Scanner 7.0 open it again to install. I have tried serveral times without success.
I'm downloading Kaspersky to my Vista computer now. Updating it is slow for me, because I'm on the slowest Broadband boat there is :wacko: When you tried to download it …. were you logged on as Administrator and using IE 8? BTW, you will or should see the Java Applet (coffee cup icon) in the task tray
It looks like you still have bits of Symantec/Norton on your computer … Please use the 'uninstaller' to totally get rid of Symantec

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]
"DisableMonitoring"=dword:00000001

Removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen…005033108162039
Please download the removal tool in the link above your last post. Run it and it will remove Symantec from the registry as well as any other place it's taken residency. Once it's been removed, you may see a better performance from your computer. Please let me know.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI