This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Your System Has Been Infected

128 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I was just on Mozilla today when I got a pop up saying that Windows has found something (a virus?, spyware? Not quite sure what it said exactly) But it does keep popping up My background has also been changed to "Your system has been infected! SYstem has stopped due to serious malfunction. Spyware activity has been found etc" I also get a pop up warning that says "Attention! System detected a potential Hazard (TrojanSPM/LX) on your computer that may infect executable files…. etc On my icon bar (bottom right) of my computer, there is also an icon that has a white x on a red circle.. and once in awhile a little message bubbles from it says "your computer in infected! windows has detected etc etc" How can I fix this?? PS. I am a SERIOUS newbie with computers. Thanks so much!
[external image: Posted Image]


DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix or HijackThis fixes without supervision.

Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.


Vista and Windows 7 users:
1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe) every time you run them
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator")


Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.

You might want to print these instructions out.

I suggest you do this:

XP Users

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.


We've been seeing some Java infections lately.
Go here and follow the instructions to clear your Java Cache


Next:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.


It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.

Next:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    [external image: Posted Image]
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • [external image: Posted Image]
  • Then click Remove Selected .
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
  • Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.


Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


Please don't attach the scans / logs, use "copy/paste". .
I am aout to attempt your instructions but just an update on things- (I just turned on this computer) "Internet Security 2010" seems to have installed itself onto my computer….

I am aout to attempt your instructions
but just an update on things- (I just turned on this computer) "Internet Security 2010" seems to have installed itself onto my computer….

What I posted should clean most if not all of it.
Ok when I uncheck "hide protected operating system files", a little pop up comes up "you have unchecked blah balh. This is required to start and run Windows. Deleting or editing them can make your computer inoperable. Are you sure you want to display these files" Sorry I'm being anal :wacko: , but I should click yes, correct? (And "Hide file extensions for known file types" is the same thing as "hide extensions for file types" ? )

Ok when I uncheck "hide protected operating system files", a little pop up comes up "you have unchecked blah balh. This is required to start and run Windows. Deleting or editing them can make your computer inoperable. Are you sure you want to display these files"

Sorry I'm being anal :wacko: , but I should click yes, correct? <—Yes

(And "Hide file extensions for known file types" is the same thing as "hide extensions for file types" ? ) <—-No. Look down one more line

Ok when I uncheck "hide protected operating system files", a little pop up comes up "you have unchecked blah balh. This is required to start and run Windows. Deleting or editing them can make your computer inoperable. Are you sure you want to display these files"

Sorry I'm being anal :wacko: , but I should click yes, correct? <—Yes

(And "Hide file extensions for known file types" is the same thing as "hide extensions for file types" ? ) <—-No. Look down one more line


Woops I mistyped- it actually says "Hide extensions for known file types" .. The only difference is that the word 'file' is missing (before 'extensions'… (And one line under that is "Hide protected operating system files"…)…
So…are they the same thing?
Should I also uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"? (Because I dont seem to have the "hide file extentions for known file types)

Or should I leave that checked?
(argh, so sorry)

Should I also uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"? (Because I dont seem to have the "hide file extentions for known file types)

Or should I leave that checked?
(argh, so sorry)

You can leave that checked.
Hm. I seem to have encountered a problem… I'm currently trying to clear my Java Cache. When I click "Ok" on the "Delete Temporary Files" pop up- another pop up comes up and it reads "java.lang.nullpointerexception" I then clicked on "View Applications" and the same pop up came up immediatelyl (java.lang etc…)- and then another small window opened -> "Java Application Cache Viewer" and when I click 'view applets' the window "java applet cache viewer' pops up..
I keep trying to perform a scan, but it constantly freezes up when about 6000 -8000 files have been scanned (Just an update: I also got a new pop up today when starting my computer- says that a worm has been found that takes my emai a ddress and sends stuff around. Also, yesterday my computer spazzed with pop ups that I had to shut it down)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI