Hi,
OK. First off, I did know about the Shoppers Hotline online program, but I don't recall ever downloading the Websearch one on purpose. However, the Shoppers Hotline program was always getting "flagged" by AdAware and it wasn't worth the hassle, so I uninstalled it some time ago. It's not listed in the Add/Remove items, so whatever has been left over from it isn't somewhere I can uninstall it. Same goes for the WebSearch; I was going to uninstall it, but it's not on the Add/Remove list, either!
Here are the logs from the programs you requested I run:
Results of OTM:
All processes killed
========== PROCESSES ==========
No active process named explorer.exe was found!
========== REGISTRY ==========
Registry value HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\\{DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} not found.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A}\ deleted successfully.
Registry value HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\\{9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} not found.
Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C}\ deleted successfully.
========== FILES ==========
File/Folder C:\windows\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader_v5.cab not found.
File/Folder C:\windows\Downloaded Program Files\cpbrkpie.cab not found.
========== COMMANDS ==========
[EMPTYTEMP]
User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 30920752 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 59767361 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 1203709557 bytes
User: All Users
User: Default User
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes
User: LocalService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
User: NetworkService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 39097 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 2577 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 14620341 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 23905724 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 61698 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes
Total Files Cleaned = 1,271.00 mb
OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.5.0 log created on 01122010_170813
mbr log:
Stealth MBR rootkit/Mebroot/Sinowal detector 0.3.7 by Gmer,
http://www.gmer.net
device: opened successfully
user: MBR read successfully
kernel: MBR read successfully
user & kernel MBR OK
Here's my computer problem summary:
I have noticed my computer getting slower and slower over the course of the last several months or so, especially when animated graphics are involved, and now it seems consistently to be moving through molasses. Web pages are slow to load, and documents in Word or Excel take 30 seconds or more to open after I double click on them. More and more frequently I am getting the "program is not responding" freezes, and when I play online games in Pogo.com, or even when I'm typing a paper in Word, I notice the computer starts whirring and everything freezes for a time and then "releases" so I can continue. If it doesn't completely stop, the cursor will move in jerks and lag behind the movement of the mouse, and the start menu opens slowly from the top down,
The specific problem that started this whole chain of events was my inability to open a real estate website I use in my business; I would get error messages after the log-in screen instead of having the utility open. I contacted the tech department for the real estate board, and he had me download and run MalwareBytes, which, among other things, found a vundo.h virus. It was removed successfully, but the real estate program still wouldn't open. He said the virus had done irreparable harm to my internet explorer and probably other areas of the computer and I needed to do a system restore. In trying to figure out how to do that on my computer, since I couldn't find a restore disk, I found this website and thought I might try a less drastic solution if my computer could be cleaned up like you seem to be successfully doing for a number of other people! Just before coming back here to type this for you, I was able to successfully enter the real estate program I was unable to before, so you must have "fixed" something, at least!
Thanks for what you've done so far, and for taking the time to help clean up this mess of a computer!
Sue