BiggDan
Topic Starter
PROBLEM: Frequent crashes. Fails to boot, needs multiple attempts to get going. Error when running MEMTEST386. I need to disconnect all USB devices to get the system started again.
Error message changes each time. It failed to boot yesterday with an error about the USB (can't remember exactly) but disconnecting the external HD got it to start again. Today it crashed with “no_more_IRP_stack_Location” I restarted it and later it froze up in the middle of doing some video editing work. Was very difficult to restart, had missing or corrupt Windows\System32\config\System. Got it going by using original Windows XP disk, went through to recovery panel, looked around at the files not really knowing what I was looking for. When I exited, it booted up and started working.
System is a 4 years and 11 month old desktop. It is from Velocity Micro
Windows XP home edition, version 2002, service pack 3
Inten Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1.00GB of Ram
I have an external HD (TrekStor 500GB), wireless network adapter and a printer and scanner all on USB. I use an “ADVENT” USB hub that gives four ports by plugging into one. The printer and scanner are connected to that. One of the two USB ports on the front of the machine doesn’t work anymore.
I think the problem is related to the motherboard. I live in Spain and in the hot summer the machine gets very hot. I read that the processor will throttle down when hot as a protection measure. But maybe the MB got damaged??? I clean the processor fan regularly as well as the case fan and case.
One of the errors suggested a memory problem so I ran MEMTEST386. When the test ran clean the machine booted up. If it had errors the machine didn’t boot up.
I had two 500MB memory modules and found removing one of them and putting the other in the 3rd slot (of 4) stabilized the machine and it became more reliable (booted every time, no errors running MEMTEST386). I took the opportunity to upgrade my memory. I got two 1GB memory modules and installed them. I still had memory problems when running MEMTEST386. I put one module in the third slot and it was relatively stable with no problems reported by MEMTEST386. Lately it is having a lot of problems again. Although at this writing I have not run MEMTEST386 again. I would rather post this than risk not being able to start the computer again!!! :-)
Side note: One of your guys helped me remove malware from this machine last month. I think it is still clean.