This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

LAN Connection

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I replaced my hard drive and now i cannot connect to the internet. In the Device Manager I only have network adapter 1394, I already went to Gateway and installed all the drivers for the compu, but still no connection. someone suggested that i did not have my LAN driver, where would i find this? My computer model is gt5032 and mobo # is C51MCP51. I have nothing posted in my device manager for the NIC card. Please help
If there is no entry for your network adapter in Device manager then it looks as though either the NIC card has failed or there is some other hardware problem with your machine
Drivers are available for your machine from here:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers…nter.asp?Tab=My
enter you personal tag/serial and download and install everything relevant to your machien with the exception of BIOS updates…be a bit circumspect with those!

A quick and simple is to fit another NIC they are very cheap, or perhaps you could borrow a USB wireless adapter if you are using a wireless access point for the net.
Regards
paws
EDIT… welcome to the WTT site!
:welcome:
thanks for the welcome. :) and also for the advice, but I have already downloaded all the devices with the exception of the bios, and still no connection. Do you think I need a lAN Driver? I connect to the internet from a DSL modem. the ethernet light light is lit and steady.
Hi shamrock92.

From what I can see on the Gateway site, the drive you need is:
Marvell705.exe - NDIS2 Driver for Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller Version: 7.05

If you provide your serial number I or Paws can verify that is the correct driver.

Also, if you open Device Manager, then expand Network Adapter and double click on the network device, then the Details page, what is the PCI/VEN_ information shown there (all of it please). That would also tell us exactly what you have.
In the device manager - the device instance ID is V1394\NIC1394\120B7E16C20 and the serial # is XCM5C31010305. The link you provided is broken. Thanks much for the assistance.
0 for 2 :D

The link is not broken, I just clicked on it and went to the correct Gateway page.
The info you provided is not what I asked for, I wanted Details page, what is the PCI/VEN_
Oops, I should have prefaced my introduction by saying Im a neanderthal when it comes to the computer :) the link did not open in MSN browser, I used firefox and it did open up. I will download the file and try my luck. the information that i provided was all the information in the details tab when i expanded the net adapter and clicked on details tab. Is there anywhere else i that can look for the info? update….. the file is not compatible for windows xp.
Strange as the info for that driver says it applies to all Windows Operating systems.

Please provide the serial number for your computer and I'll look again. If you prefer, send it to me via a PM.

As for Device Manager, this is what you need to look at:
[external image: Posted Image]

You can click on the PCX\VEN stuff then press Ctrl+c to copy it to the clipboard then paste it into you reply here.
The drivers for the LAN is here: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers…p;uid=255377455

This driver is a "package," otherwise known as the chipset drivers. It contains multiple drivers for critical components of your computer.

When you say you replaced the hard drive that leaves a lot of details out and could be part of your problem that we don't know about. So lets clear a couple of things up. First of all, is this a NEW hard drive? Second, did you reload the operating system from scratch? How did you do that? Or, did the hard drive already have an operating system on it? Is this XP home, or Pro? 32-bit or 64-bit? The manufacturer does not provide original XP installation discs, they only provide recovery discs which would automatically install all the necessary drivers and software for your computer. This leads me to ask how the operating system got on this "new" hard drive?

Last thing I want to point out is that if you are trying to get the vendor ID (as requested by Ztruker) from the device it is not going to be listed under the network controllers section. It will be listed under the "unknown devices" section flagged with a yellow exclamation point and labeled "ethernet controller."
Ok, I can answer those questions. 1) it was a new hard drive 2) I used the recovery disc to install the operating system I do not have "unknown devices" but i have "other devices" which has a yellow question mark and under it is Multimedia audio controller, Multimedia controller PCI Simple Communications Controller all of these have question marks. There is no ethernet controller listed.
The link that appleoddity provided matches the link I got using the serial number you sent me, so that is what you need to download and install. Please give it a try and let us know how you make out.
Thanks.. Your information clears some things up a bit. The "recovery disc" you used, what does it say on it? Its possible your computer is old enough that is came with an actual Gateway branded, pre-activated XP installation disc. If that is the case, your PC will also have came with the driver and software supplementary disc. On the other hand, if the "recovery disc" you have is really a recovery disc, it should contain an image of how your machine was shipped from the factory including all the drivers preinstalled. You are right, I made a mistake on the "unknown devices," thing. You are looking in the right place under "other devices." What it is telling you is that you have also not installed your sound card drivers, nor your modem drivers. But, if you do not see your ethernet controller listed under network devices, then it is as stated previously, the ethernet controller on your computer has failed or is disabled in the BIOS because it is not showing up under other devices. However, if you have downloaded and installed all those drivers provided on the gateway site, you have either accidentally downloaded drivers for the wrong computer, or you are not doing something right during the installation because you have a couple drivers still missing.
Yeah!!!! I am connected….thanks so much. I went into Bios and looked at PNP/PCI configuration- the Init Display was set to PCIEX and I changed it to "onboard" and the Reset Data Config was disabled and I enabled it. I guess I was clicking and changing too much. After enabling I again downloaded the drives from the link and I got connected. :):) the only drives that have question marks beside them are the "PCI simple communications controller" and "Multimedia Controller". It does not seem to be affecting my connections or anything right now, but that's ok Thanks for sticking by me Appleoddity and Ztrucker, really appreciate it. :):) Thanks again :woot: PS: I now see the PCI/VEN :blush:
PCI simple communications controller is your modem. Multimedia Controller is your sound card most likely. Install those drivers and you should be all set. Excellent job by the way! :notworthy:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI