This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help with MS+wireless settings

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer recently crashed and now that I have reloaded software/drivers I can no longer get home wireless network to connect (currently hardwired to router). I suspect I have some settings wrong but don't know enough to set/fix them. My computer detects the network but when I attempt to connect it goes into endless "waiting for network" mode. Am currently using (only) WEP encryption since I am adding my computer to existing home network…all other systems are connecting OK. Thanks, LB
Start - Control Panel - Wireless Network Setup Wizard - Create a new connection Follow the onscreen prompts. Post back with any questions.
I'm sorry. My thinking was backwards in the above post. You already have a functional wireless network ? Other machines are able to connect to your network wirelessly ? Look in your Device Manager to assure that the proper driver for your wireless adapter is installed and functioning correctly. Start - Right-Click on My Computer - Select - Hardware(tab) - Select - Device Manager(button)
Affirmative…wireless is already functional with other computer. The problem machine detects the network but will not connect….will check device manager but suspect it is OK since, when I loaded the wireless driver it came right up.
NIC & wireless adapter are enabled and operating properly per device manager. There is one unknown device in the list…can't tell what it is, though.
Are you using Windows Firewall ? Are you using a software Firewall ? If Windows Firewall, Right-click on the icon for your wireless interface device. Select - Change Fireewall Settings - Exceptions Use Checkmark/tick to create exceptions so that your browser, JAVA Platform, any IM's you use, other applications you know and use are selected as Exceptions.
When you right-click your wireless icon and select view available networks, you are able to "see" your own home network. Correct? But when you left-click your own home network, it goes into what you describe as "waiting for network" Does it never ask you for passcode?
Affirmative…I am asked for the network key, which I know/have verified…I enter it and it goes into "waiting for network". One sort of strange thing is that wether I enter the WEP key through the network settings dialog or "real time" when trying to connect to my wireless, it defaults to a 7-character (incorrect) code…I can't tell what it is defaulting to since it is just dots. I'm wondering if the computer has the wrong idea as to what the WEP key is. I checked my firewall…windows is off and McAfee is enabled.
I'm not a McAfee user, but it should have something like: "Program Controls" in which a list of applications and processes (such as your IE or Firefox browser, Windows Update Automatic Updates, Yahoo IM, Adobe Flash installer, etc.) are listed as "allowed or denied access. Your Wireless Adapter Device should be listed. For instance, mine is WUSB54GC Compact wireless-G USB Network adapter with SpeedBooster\WUSB54GC.exe Make sure it is "allowed" or whatever the terminology is with McAfee.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI