This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Start up/CPU jumps 100%

51 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

Below is the link to my original post:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/I_have_some_…me_t108043.html

I originally posted in the infection removal forum and after some time about 3 threads later I finally I formatted and installed XP but it wasn't over… I'll post a quote from my thread:

I re-formatted and installed 3 times but on my second time, everything was going good until I rebooted (I was installing windows updates at the time) and then things started slowing down. Then I thought that I did something wrong or something so, I, again formatted and installed and everything was going ok again but I wasn't going to install updates, I was just going to download and install my programs that I have when I first formatted and installed… And then I had to restart when I installed Avira and it all started then. Right now my CPU is fine but when I start a program (any program) my CPU shoots up to 100%, it eventually come back down when the program starts it's just getting it started that that happens and when I first start windows after I re-start, it takes (it varies) about 5 minutes to get to the desktop and about 5 or 10 minutes to do anything because the CPU is so high, like 100%. It's like the virtual memory is low or something, but the computer didn't tell me that the virtual memory was low… This just started happening yesterday, where my mouse quit responding, everything else was working… it's a optical mouse and the red light is working but not responding, its like it just froze. It happened I think 2 times… When that happens my keyboard works but my lights (scroll, num and caps lock) quit.

This may turn out to be more complex than I have time for, but I have a simple thought, and if it is proved it could be the resolution to this, so my question is, when you reformatted did you do a CMOS reset ?
I ask as some infections can be memory resident, this means they hide in the memory of the system, and once you've reinstalled they come back and infect you again, given the fact you've fresh installed it wont hurt to try again, so to that end, and assuming you did not reset the CMOS, I suggest getting and running the HDD Low Level Format Tool, but be aware, it is a VERY powerful tool, and very unforgiving, this tool will NOT ask for confirmation of what you tell it to format, the second you click format thats it, so triple check you select the correct device to format.

Warning:- This tool can be run from windows (in your desktop), and should you select your OS drive that is what you are using to get to this desktop, this tool WILL format the OS drive even though your using it, and the second you click format the installed OS is stuffed and you will have to reinstall again, even if you realise quickly, it's to late, so use extreme caution if used in the windows environment.

Anyway that aside, run this tool, it will format the drive and eradicate EVERYTHING on it totally, this will obviously take a while depending on the size and power of your system, so it may be worth running it overnight, once complete shut down the PC, turn off the power switch on the wall\PC, then physically remove the mains lead, now open up the case and remove the CMOS battery taking care not to disturb anything else, then move the jumper to the clear position, leave it like that for 10 minutes (way overkill but worth it if it does the job it's worth it), then put the battery back, put the jumper back, replace the side of the case etc and fire it up, reset your CMOS settings (time\date essential, but check what you need for your setting's requirements), then reinstall again as normal.

Should this work then it confirms my thoughts of a memory resident virus\infection, and TBH when I touch a system that is that badly affected this is the very procedure I use, may take a little bit longer, but if it's a nasty infection and comes back, this ends up being the quickest solution as it saves multiple reinstalls due to recurring problems, I hope this works for you, if it doesn't then we need to go back to the beginning, good luck.
That sort of explains it, why when I first start the computer it ran fast but later on that day things started getting slow and my CPU was just out there but I did a scan of malwarebytes, avira (my a/v at the time) and did an online scan with nod32 and both said I clean.

EDIT:
Sorry to be a n00b, but I don't what a jumper is
The fact a scan says your clean does not mean you're clean, it means you do not have anything that the particular software knows about, sometimes an infection can be so new the protection pro's haven't added it to they're definition files yet, but everything you've said so far strongly suggests reinfection, memory resident infections can hide from a format and return to reinfect when reinstalled, or another possible cause is where the files are coming from, are you adding any software from back up's ? or adding back up files of some kind or other ? if so it would be wise to scan that media to be safe as well, are there any slave drives ? maybe they are infected if you do ? But given the history so far a belt and braces reinstall is certainly something to try given all else has failed so far, hope something here helps.
NP we've all been there, until you've done something a few times it doesn't always make sense, but a jumper is a peg for want of a better word, plastic coated, this sits across 2 of 3 header pins on the board, often in close proximity to the battery, although not always as close as most boards, you note what pins it currently covers, then you move it over to cover the 3rd pin, thus exposing the 1st pin in the process, removing the battery alone does not always clear the memory, although this is not a common situation, I have encountered it a couple of times, so best way to go then you know it's done for sure. Once this is done wait for say 10 minutes then return the jumper to the original position so you recover the 1st pin, and re-expose the 3rd pin so it's as you first saw it, replace the battery etc then reinstall as you normally would, if this is some kind of memory resident issue this should certainly clear it, but do be aware of any\all media you insert to install anything, if these are infected then you have just wasted your time going through this procedure. Finally just to cover the obvious, unplug the PC from the net, get the system fully installed (as much as you can without being online) and make sure you have a firewall at a minimum before reconnecting the net to the system, you can get an infection from visiting a web page let alone download anything, so do try and make sure you have the system protected before going online, then with any luck you should be fine once done, I hope this works for you, if not we need to look at what is going on again, good luck.
Those pic's only show the Sata connections, can you take another pic(s) so you can show the rest of the board ? then I can look to see what your seeing fully.
Ok, I found the word "jumper" and right below that is the jumper but right beside that is another thing that looks like a jumper but says "CLRTC" as you can see. What tool do you use to put it out? Is that the CMOS right below that? lol I know how to change hard drives, memory and cards but get me messing with the motherboard and that's a whole nother story.

[external image: Posted Image]
CLPWD = Clear the password, CLRTC = Clear Real Time Clock (CMOS), so this is the jumper to move, no special tool to use, it simply pulls straight up away from the board, so just hold it firmly and it should come straight up without any problem, just remember which pins it is on when you start, and make sure when you put it back it goes on those pins, your fingers should be all you need, but if space is tight thin nose pliers may make life easier for you, but purely from a visibility\access point of view, they aren't needed due to anything being tight or anything. You will see 3 pins in total, but only 1 pin is visible when the jumper is on them, so when moving the jumper you cover the visible pin and uncover the first pin in the process, eg:- x = pin covered and o = pin exposed So you will go from xxo to oxx then back to xxo when done. Once you have done this you will need to access the bios before you can do anything else when you first boot up after, the main thing that will need doing is setting the time\date, this must be correct or it will cause problems, clearing the CMOS resets it to the default settings for all the other entries, so if you need to change the boot order, or set any other settings these will also need to be done before reinstalling, if your unsure about these options then let us know and I will cover how to go in and check what the current settings are so you can duplicate this when ready, hope this clears up things a bit.
Yes, this is completely uncharted territory for me… lol When you where talking about the "mains lead" in post #2 was you taking about all the hock ups in the back of the computer, like power cable, mouse, keyboard, monitor etc.?
NP lol, we've all been there, you'll look back when your done and wonder what you were worried about, but it's very daunting the first time you do such things. Anyway Yes, pull the mains means the mains, not the internal power connectors etc, physically remove the mains power lead from the back of the PC or wall socket, failing to do this as part of the process has 2 reasons, most important is going inside a case with the mains connected could result in an accident\shock or the like, but the other reason is even with the CMOS battery removed, if there is ANY kind of power no matter how small (think how little power the battery has), then the infection can still sustain itself and you are just wasting your time. Should you have ANY concerns over any part of this feel free to ask before you start, if nothing more but for your peace of mind, I am happy to walk you through and explain what I can for you to help if needed, you just need to say the word and let me know what you need clearing up as I have no way of knowing what you know etc, as you have done this time, then I will do my best to answer, but you'll get there in the end.

Once you have done this you will need to access the bios before you can do anything else when you first boot up after, the main thing that will need doing is setting the time\date, this must be correct or it will cause problems, clearing the CMOS resets it to the default settings for all the other entries, so if you need to change the boot order, or set any other settings these will also need to be done before reinstalling, if your unsure about these options then let us know and I will cover how to go in and check what the current settings are so you can duplicate this when ready, hope this clears up things a bit.

I know I'm worried about nothing but it's still daunting… Ok, I'm not to technical with the BIOS so, would you please explain the above to me? Thanks
I remember the first time I saw the bios, scared the life out of me lol, anyway rule of thumb is do not change anything in there unless you know what it is, so in short the minimum you will need to do is set the time and date, the maximum you may need to do is change the boot order and\or drive priority, but this only needs it when there is more than 1 drive, so my guess is you should only need to set the time\date, but to be safe I suggest going through the bios, and use a camera, or physically note down what you see, as long as you exit without saving you can do no harm, but obviously setting the time\date will require the setting to be saved. To move around in the bios you need to use the arrow keys, to go into a sub menu hit the enter key (some have more sub menu's within that as well), to come back out of a sub menu hit the Esc key, 1 press = 1 menu, so where multiple menu's are involved you may need several presses to get back to the main screen. You will see the bios will also give you a guide as to what key to press to do certain things, to change the time\date you will need to identify what buttons you need to use, sometimes it's the +\- buttons, other times it's the Page up\down buttons, not to move from hours to minutes etc you need to use the Tab button, same for date, have an experiment at changing this when your noting the other settings, just make sure you exit without saving and nothing will be changed, but it will help you to do this for when you do need to save the changes. Have a play, and note each setting and see how you get on, if you have any further concerns over this feel free to ask, better to make sure you cover your bases before you do things your unsure about, hope this helps.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI