Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] on/off then serious error!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#46 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

ok i"ll try that but as i stated in post #9 there was only 1 restore point back in july..

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:34 AM

Has the system restore helped any?

Microsoft MVP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#48 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

hi sorry..kind of busy.. work etc.. the computer has now stopped rebooting since doing the restore..but the original problem remains.(minus the reboot) here is a screenshot of the errors (i have to contact content watch so i am not concerned about that error)...

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

#49 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

Are you now able to boot into normal mode without the computer shutting down on you? Do you have a reliable connection now?

If so,

Please run the Kaspersky online scan:

Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky On-line Scanner

1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.
2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
  • Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
3. Click Run at the Security prompt.
The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
Please be patient as this can take quite a long time to download.
  • Once the update is complete, click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View scan report at the bottom.

Posted Image
  • Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply

#50 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I received your message about net nanny

Try the Revo Uninstaller

Download and install the Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the new Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall (Net Nanny)
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

#51 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

the rebooting problem is definitely "update" related..today when i when i went to use the revo the system was right back to rebooting, so i used the revo in safe mode and it did its thing. i then went to system resore and there arent any previous dates now, i didnt turn off "system restore" so i dont know why there arent any dates except for today (perhaps that is update related too). the last time the computer was running (after the system restore) i made sure to turn it off by clicking "click here to turn off without installing updates" because i dint want the same problem happening. also, although revo uninstalled the program deleted traces and registry keys etc i still cant accessthe internet because i am getting the same message

#52 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hi, Can you describe the error message you are getting exactly

#53 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

hi catbyte (santa)...its the same content watch error as in the pic i posted earlier in the thread

Edited by andrew2009, 12 December 2009 - 03:02 PM.

#54 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

hi catbyte (santa)...its the same error message for content watch pictured above in the earlier post

#55 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

There are three error messages in that picture which one are you referring to? Recovered from a serious error? file is missing? or the other one>

What hhappens when you try and connect to the internet,

I need you to describe things more precisely for me, I need to know what is happening with your PC

Can you connect in safe mode?

Have you tried troubleshooting your connections and resetting:

let's start with this?

Please reset IE

• Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection for cable and DSL or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and choose Properties.
  • Click the Networking tab
  • Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
  • Write down the settings in case you should need to change them back.
  • Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.
  • If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.

In I.E.
  • Check internet options settings.
  • Tools > Internet Options > Connections
  • LAN settings
  • Choose "automatically detect settings"
  • uncheck both proxy settings boxes

In FireFox
  • Click on Advanced -> Network -> Setttings…
  • the No Proxy option should be selected

If that doesn't help, try this:

Try the IPconfig command.

Go to Start > Run then type: CMD into the run box

You will now see a black DOS-like screen.

Type the following at the command prompt:

IPconfig /release. (Note the space between the "g" and the slash / it needs to be there)

Hit enter Then type:

IPconfig /Renew (Note the space between the "g" and the slash / it needs to be there)

Hit enter

See if you get your connection back

If not try this:

Start - Run - CMD to open a command prompt.

To Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:(type at command prompt)

netsh winsock reset catalog

To Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. (type at command prompt)

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If not try this:

Go to Start > Run > copy/paste the following command into the run box then hit OK
ncpa.cpl

Right click the local area connection icon and select > Repair

If no luck,

Go to Start > Run > copy/paste the following command into the run box then hit OK
devmgmt.msc

Device manager will open

expand the Network Adapters tree and advise if there are any warnings (be specific in description)

Try the trouble shooting steps.

Let me know after which stage if you are able to connect?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

sorry yes ia m referring to "that one" (not the missing file) which keeps me from accessing the internet because everytime i go to connect it appears.. after doing the system restore the computer stopped rebooting but i was still unable to go online because of "that problem (not missing file message)" and i still had the serious error messabge...so the system restore stopped the computer from rebooting over and over but had done nothing for the serious error...and its the same in safe mode with the internet and having the installation message when i turned the computer off awaiting further instructions i clicked "turn off without installing updates" because of what i said a few posts up. whn i did turn the computer back on and went to use revo i could no longer run the computer in regular mode because it was back to rebooting. so i used revo in safemode and now, even though it got rid of the program, traces of the program and the registry keys i am still getting the installation error for "that" program.. so basically i think the reboot problem is update related (perhaps the updates were installed again even though i clicked turn off with out installing updates?). i no longer have a restore point prior to today, so i cant use that again. i cant use regular mode because it keeps rebooting and i am getting the same blue screen message as before the restore (i made sure to disable auotmatic restart on sys failure to see for myself)

#57 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

I am presently at a loss for what could be causing these present conditions. i don't believe it is malware related. It may be a corrupt update.

I think it's time to refer you to our techs in the Windows forum HERE.

Please provide the link to this topic so they can see the steps we have taken to try and resolve this.

i will leave this thread open as when your logon issues are resolved, we will need to clean up all our tools:

Title the topic "Unable to boot in Normal Mode"

Then describe the inability to connect , hopefully one of the expert techs will have more ideas for you.

#58 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

ok..i should be able to get to the new thread today..thank you for your help and have a Merry Christmas!

#59 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Good, I have let our expert tech's know to expect you, hopefully they will have answers for the remainder of the issues. Have a merry Christmas too. regards ~CB

#60 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.