Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Clock keeps reseting to 12 April 2016!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

#31 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:13 AM

Right with such limitations, and not knowing how many scans etc that will be required before you get the all clear, I can only suggest 1 course of action, and thats to do a destructive restore to out of the box condition, what this will do is wipe ALL data from the system, it will then reinstall the system back to the day you got it, then you can set it all up again, add protection etc, this is the only solution that will get it back online today, assuming the infection has not corrupted the back up partition makers use to store the files\software required to do this, but you should be back up in an hour ish doing this. Obviously if you have files to save this will be very awkward, there is no knowing if they may be infected as well, best advice I can offer is if you must do this, then back them up, restore the system to out of the box, then get it back up 100% first, I then suggest a follow up scan (as long as the pro's say it's worth it) to check nothing is hidden anywhere, once you have a clean working system then we will continue from there, but this is the only sure way to go with limited time IMHO, if you go for this make sure you select destructive restore when asked as that wipes everything. To do this you need to access the recovery section, this varies on the system\makers, look at the screen when booting and see if you notice anything along the lines of "Press x to enter recovery" or the like, F5, F10, F11 are often used, I've even seen it on F8, although traditionally it's used for system restore and diagnostic boots, system restore is not the same as the recovery part we are looking for, system restore uses restore points save on the system, we need the makers recovery. I also suggest downloading fresh copies of installs, assuming you have stuff saved on some media, we don't want anything going into the PC until we make sure your as safe as we can be so you don't reinfect yourself, but in loo of any other suggestions, this is your best course of action IMHO.

Braindead

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the response 8210GUY, I have no idea where the recovary section is, I can get to a diagnostic boot which gives me a few options, ( I have a dell inspiron 9400) and I can restore back to factory settings - is that it? I really don't want to delete everything if I can help it (I have lost most installation discs for my programs) I'll wait to see if I can get online within the next 3 days to see what Ractor has to say - can't I do anything more with mini windows? Anyway, many thanks for the reply

#33 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

I can restore back to factory settings - is that it?

Yes thats the one, if time is of the essence it's the most surefire way of getting it working again in a hurry, depending on the programs required, you can usually download the latest install files from the makers sites, you could check that out if you want to be safe while awaiting further options.

Braindead

#34 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

yes - thanks very much. At least have another option - and if worse comes to worse I won't have to give my computer to a shop and get fixed - cheers :thumbup:

#35 Raktor

Raktor

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

Sorry for the delay, Sean.

Try this for me.

When turning on the computer, once a logo/text appears on the screen, start tapping <F2> until the BIOS screen comes up.

In the Setup screen, press the down arrow key to select Drives, and then press the <Enter> key to expand the Drives node.

Press the down arrow key to select SATA Operation, and then press the <Enter> key to select this option.

Press the right arrow key to select RAID Auto/ATA, and then press the <Enter> key.

Press the <Esc> key to exit the Setup program.

Press the right arrow key to select Exit, and then press the <Enter> key. The computer restarts.
Posted Image
Graduate from the WTT Malware Classroom
If you feel I have helped you, please consider a donation. Posted Image
Topics will be closed after three days if there is no response.
Please do not PM me for malware removal assistance.

#36 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:20 AM

Hi Raktor - glad to see your back :)

I managed to keep the computer for another day!

I went to BIOS startup screen but it did not give me a drive option, this is what I saw:

http://www.legitrevi...m1730_bios1.jpg

#37 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:07 AM

You may need to access a sub menu to see the drives, expand (go into) Onboard Devices, you should then see the drives, then if needed go into sub menus in there if you still can't see whats required, to return to the previous screen each time press the Esc button, 1 press = 1 screen, then to add to the above, when you have done what was asked, remember to save and exit, not just exit, or nothing will change, you can select the save and exit option, or you can hit F10 then confirm the save and exit, hope this helps.

Braindead

#38 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:21 AM

Hi 8210 Guy - thanks for helping When I expand onboard devices it just gives me 3 options - intergrated NIC (written - this field enables/disables the on-board LAN controller) Internal Modem (written - this field enables/disables the internal modem Media card and 1394 (written - this field enables/disables the media card slot and 1394 device) any ideas?

#39 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:24 AM

I cannot find the word 'drive' written in any of the expanded options...

#40 Raktor

Raktor

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:53 AM

It was worth a try. If you can't find it anywhere, the option must not be there.

Boot up into the Mini XP environment again.

Open up a command prompt. I'm not familiar with this exact environment - it might be in the tools, or you might have to open it by holding the windows key and pressing R, then typing in "cmd".
It will be a window with a black background and white text.
Type in the following commands, exactly as written, and press enter at the end of each line.

c:

cd /windows/system32/config

ren system system.old

cd /windows/erdnt/hiv-backup

copy system c:/windows/system32/config/system

Reboot, and try now.
Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:12 AM

when on command prompt it says x:\> so I put in C: but it said C: could not be found. However, if I look in my computer on mini windows and select C: it says something like 'the drive is not formatted would you like to format it now?, (I said no) and I looked instead into D:, and for some reason everything that should be on C: is here (including specific pictures that I saved in my pictures) SO I put D: in the command prompt instead and it is showing 'D:\>' shall I continue with your instructions using D: instead?

#42 Raktor

Raktor

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

d:

cd /windows/system32/config

ren system system.old

cd /windows/erdnt/hiv-backup

copy system d:/windows/system32/config/system

:)
Posted Image

#43 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:28 AM

hi, I tried this a few times just in case I typed it wrong - when I type in ren system system.old (and press enter) it says it cannot find the file specified (although the first time I did it I pressed enter and I was on another command line (D:\windows\system32\config>) but nothing seemed to have changed, and so I typed in cd /windows/erdnt/hiv-backup, and it said it could not find the file specified)

#44 Raktor

Raktor

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:30 AM

Instead, try cd /windows/ERDNT/sUBs
Posted Image

#45 sdabbs

sdabbs

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

still not finding the 'path specified'