Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] I have some baddies after format of XP Home

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#61 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hi Rhinues,

The bit of malware found by ESET is in the Recyle Bin on one of the accounts. Please empty the Recycle Bin in each account on your computer.

And then I had to restart when I installed Avira and it all started then.

I've never used this antivirus program so I can't comment on how much of a drain it puts on your resources at startup or when it scans a program while you are opening it. It may also be trying to update at startup.

I see you had Comodo and Avast installed at one time also.

Let's see if we can free up some resources.

You have these 2 programs running. Any reason for this?

PRC - C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe ()
PRC - C:\Documents and Settings\Home\My Documents\ProcessExplorer\procexp.exe (Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

We can also look at uninstalling SpywareGuard. But let's take this a step at a time.

Thanks

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#62 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

Ok, I emptied the Recycle Bin... I can completely uninstall unlocker, I have a portable version of it. Process Explorer, is what I use as my task manager. Yes, I did have comodo internet security but I researched comodo internet security I found out that the firewall is the best thing that comodo puts out, the anti-virus is pretty much useless... I had installed avira, I didn't like the pop-up that came every now and then telling you to buy the full version but it goes away after you click the ok button. Then I uninstalled avira and then installed avast but it took up way to many resources. So, I uninstalled avast and then went back to avira. I can uninstall spyware guard, too... Like I said, I don't wont to have to go through this again

Thank You,
Michael

#63 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:21 AM

Hi Rhinues, Avast is usually very light on resources. I asked because you said the slowdowns started after you had installed Avira and rebooted. Unlocker doesn't need to run at start up. Does it have a means of keeping it from starting when you start your computer? Uninstall SpywareGuard, reboot and see if the system responds better.

If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#64 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

Still nothing, acts like it did before... I don't know whats wrong. I mean, nothings really wrong but it just takes so long to do anything *SIGH*

Thank You,
Michael

#65 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Hi Rhinues,

Since your problems started with Avira, let's see if ununstalling it helps. Perhaps when you uninstalled it brfore there was enough leftovers to cause problems with avast.

Download these 2 tools and save them to your desktop.

http://www.avira.com...uninstXPeng.zip

http://www.avira.com...strycleaner.zip

Download a new copy of Avast and save it to your desktop.
http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

Please copy and paste these instructions into a notepad and save it to your desktop for reference as you will be offline.

Disonnect completely from the internet. Disconnect the cable if you have to.

• Uninstall Avira from add/remove programs
  • Unzip avuninstXPeng.zip to you desktop
  • Locate AVUNINST.EXE, double click it to run it
  • Unzip registrycleaner.zip to your desktop
  • Locate Avira RegistryCleaner.exe, double click it to run it.
Reboot you computer. Any improvement?

Try opening some programs. Any better?

Install Avast. say no when asked to update (you won't be connected so it wouldn't be able to anyway) Still ok?

Reconnect to the internet,

Right click the "a" icon near the clock. Highlight Updating, click Iavs Update, let Avast update. Be patiant, it may take some time and at times look like nothing is happening. Avast will use alot of resources during this process, so just let it run. Don't do anything else until it's finished.

Let us know if things are better, the same or worse.

Thanks

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#66 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Nothing yet, it's still about the same but, I uninstalled Avira and ran avuninst.exe but I ran Avira AntiVir RegClean and it took about 1 or 1 1/2 hours or more and didn't complete the program just froze but I'm running it one more time and hopefully it will complete. It might take awhile but nevertheless maybe it will. I tried downloading and installing Bootvis but after I re-booted and bootvis ran it said "Number of Physical drives in the trace file is 0 Trace file ha invalid system configuration information" Do you know what that means?

Thank You,
Michael

#67 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

Hi Rhinues, I don't know why the Antivir regcleanr would take that long, it's usually quite quick. Bootvis was pulled from MS site some time ago because it caused too many problems for users. I haven't seen a clear answer to that error message.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#68 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:22 AM

Well, I guess its because whenever I start any program the CPU jumps from non-existent to 100% in a snap. But I'll try it again when I get off. I don't know what is the cause of the CPU to get up so high. I don't have a virus or any type of malware. I don't know what to do...

I didn't know that Bootvis was pulled from the Microsoft site.

EDIT:
It didn't work... I kept Avira AntiVir RegClean running all night like 5 or 6 hours and still my CPU was just like it did before, 100%

EDIT #2:
I know this is not you strong suite so do you know of any forum or site that I could maybe get help on this matter or maybe a WTT person I can talk too?

Edited by Rhineus, 22 November 2009 - 02:48 AM.

Thank You,
Michael

#69 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi Rhinues,

You can post HERE

Include a link to this thread when you post.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#70 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Ok, thanks oldman :-)

Thank You,
Michael

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#71 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015