Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] I have some baddies after format of XP Home

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#31 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:39 AM

I suggest before you reformat use FDD (if it will run) on your external drive.

What is FDD?

Edited by Rhineus, 07 November 2009 - 03:07 PM.

Thank You,
Michael

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi FDD=Flah Drive Disinfectoer. I gave you the link and some information in my last post. It will put a binign (safe) autorun.inf folder on all of your drives. It will help prevent bad files from running when the drive is attached.

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

#33 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

Ok, so a clean format and install (XP and my portable/external HD) will get rid of the virus? What if I still have the virus after format/install? I don't know how many installs of XP I have left. Can you back up XP on a separate CD or drive so that if you get infected again, you can re-install without the need of the XP install disk? And, what kind of security do you have on your computer? I'm sorry I'm asking all these questions but I don't wont to have to go through this again...

Thank You,
Michael

#34 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi Rhineus,

Ok, so a clean format and install (XP and my portable/external HD) will get rid of the virus?

A reformat will remove everything from the HD. Make certain your external drive is clean before moving anything from it back onto you computer. You can scan the drive at Kaspersky.

What if I still have the virus after format/install?

That would indicate some of your backups are infected.

I don't know how many installs of XP I have left.

I don't quite follow. If it's a retail version of XP there shouldn't be any limits.

Can you back up XP on a separate CD or drive so that if you get infected again, you can re-install without the need of the XP install disk?

You could look at investing in a drive imaging program such as Acronis True Image, Noton Ghost etc. Once you are sure the computer is clean, make an image. It's usually quicker replacing the image than reinstalling. The disadvantage would be your computer would return to the state that it was in on the date you made the image. Mos of these programs can also be used to update the image. Depending on how often you update the image would determine how much data you would lose.

And, what kind of security do you have on your computer?

This is a very old computer and won't handle much. I have an antivirus, on demand anti-malware program and a firewall. I'm also behind a router. Missing is a real time antispyware program, but I don't think the old girl could handle it. There is also no P2P programs of any kind, I don't allow them.

Get reformatted and come back here. I can give you some tips on security programs and keeping safe.

I'm sorry I'm asking all these questions but I don't wont to have to go through this again...

No problem. I will try to answer you as best I can.

If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#35 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

Ok, thanks a lot oldman... I will re-format and install, I think maybe tomorrow or the next day. I got to make sure that there isn't any exe, zip, rar ect. on my external HD. Then take it to my other computer and dump my documents onto that computer and then format my external HD from that computer.

Thank You,
Michael

#36 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Ok, just make sure it's absolutely clean before attaching it to another computer or you may have 2 infected ones.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#37 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

Ok oldman, I re/formatted and installed

Thank You,
Michael

#38 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hi Rhineus,

First and formost, make sure you get an antivirus program installed. If you haven't done so, you can download and install one of these free ones.

Avast
Help and support can be found here Avast Forum
AVG
Help and support can be found here AVG Forum
Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
Help and support can be found here Avira Personal Support Forum

- Keeping your Windows up-to-date is crucial to your computer's security. Please go to the Windows Update Site (using Internet Explorer) and download and install all critical updates.

Basic security consists of 1 antivirus program, 1 resident antispyware program, 1 on demand antispyware program and a firewall. Use the following links to get at least the basics installed.

You can find some very good tips and free programs that will help keep you safe Here. This includes programs such as antispyware and firewalls.

More can be found HERE

Everything still ok?

Thanks

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#39 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

Thanks oldman, Yes, everything is going good... just need some good security and with your help I will be able too :-) Can you tell me what you think is the best free antivirus and firewall is? Which should I get just IE-SPYAD or IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut?

Edited by Rhineus, 13 November 2009 - 03:57 PM.

Thank You,
Michael

#40 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi

Can you tell me what you think is the best free antivirus and firewall is?

They all have their strong points. I'd give Avast and PCTools firewall a shot.

Which should I get just IE-SPYAD or IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut?

Either one, though the second one might be easier to set up.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Basic security consists of 1 antivirus program, 1 resident antispyware program, 1 on demand antispyware program and a firewall.

Sorry to be a N00b but what is a resident antispyware program and on demand antispyware program? There are SO many free security programs out there that it gets me overwhelmed, even the links you gave me was too much... I don't really know what to download.

I've been trying to find a good combination of basic security programs (Tell me if I have to much protection or not enough protection... probably not enough)
malwarebytes'
pc tools firewall
avira (in process of downloading Avast)

Thank You,
Michael

#42 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

Hi Rhineus,

what is a resident antispyware program and on demand antispyware program?

Resident antispyware program

Is a program that will scan in real time.In other words the scanning will take place while the files are being accessed.

Examples

Windows Defender and Spybot with TeaTimer enabled.

On Demand antispyware

You need to start the scan manually. Your computer or the area you select will then be scanned.

Examples

Free versions of Superantispyware and MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM)

malwarebytes'
pc tools firewall
avira (in process of downloading Avast)

You have
- an On Demand Antispyware/Antimalware (MBAM, a very good one by the way)
- a firewall
- an antivirus program (Avira)

Do not install Avast if you all ready have Avira. 2 antivirus programs are not beter than 1. They will conflict with each other, cause system slow downs. The conflicts could also leave you with reduced protection. If you would rather use Avast, then uninstall Avira first.

Add either Spybot or Windows Defender to the mix and that part should be good.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#43 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Ok thanks oldman... I will uninstall avira Do you think I should uninstall threatfire (since I installed it or leave it be)? (I know this is offtopic) I don't know if you know or not but is "Macrium Reflect Free Edition" is a good disk imaging software and "EASEUS Partition Manager Master Home Edition" good partition manager? Like I said before, I don't wont to lose all my programs to reinstall or virus.

Edited by Rhineus, 15 November 2009 - 10:04 AM.

Thank You,
Michael

#44 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi Rhineus,

Threatfire should be ok if it is the only resident antispyware program you install.

The best place to ask about Disk Imaging software would be here

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#45 Rhineus

Rhineus

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

Ok thx again...

Edited by Rhineus, 15 November 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Thank You,
Michael