Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Emoticons Stuck !

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#76 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

Doug;....

Here's a less than satisfying answer..

At least it's an answer !!!...THANK you !!!.... :) ...

Being a methodically trained computer Tech is not mutually exclusive of being superstitious.

Huh!!!.... :huh: ..

Somewhere along the line, you uninstalled a faulty version of your ISP's internet connection handling package, and installed a fresh version that did not have the fault, or the same version that completely installed without creating faults.

The "faulty version of your ISP's internet connection handling package" as you call it was in the form of 3 CD's from NetZero...
I'm having a problem buying that they are faulty....as they worked fine for well over a year....
A better scenerio would be that NetZero changed something to cause the problem & a "new" fresh download solved it causing the older installs to have a glitch....
I'm more inclined to think it has something to do with deleteing temp files & web history when I log off & shut down my computer....
Just my humble opinion....
NO matter what the real cause is/was , it works & I'm happy...Posted Image.

FYI:.....I run my anti-virus & defrag programs about once a week....
I don't do CHKDSK /r unless asked by Techs...
I will start to do it on a regular basis....

Doug , appleoddity , & TomK;...
You guys are the BEST around !!!!

This... :thumbup: & this;... :notworthy: don't quite do the job for me...

These DO;....Posted Image....Posted Image.....Posted Image

THANK you VERY much !!!

Later...Ron.M.... B) .....

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#77 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

Your explanation is as good as mine. Net Zero may have changed their coding somewhere along the line. I think I suggested this early on in this thread. Net Zero CD and downloaded installation packages may have all been good, but still encountered/created a fault during installation. Competently installed and functional applications do occasionally become corrupted with use, requiring reinstall. Your action of fresh installation may have corrected the fault. Running CHKDSK /r may have corrected the fault. There may be an association with your practice of deleting temp files & web history when you log off Bottom line for this methodical but superstitious tech is that ..... It works ! Good for you. You've been persistent in this and others of your repair and building projects. Good go. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#78 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Dear Folks;...

Just FYI:
Here we go again !!!...They're stuck again.....
Before we get too involved , I thought I'd try the tip in post #68 from "appleoddity" as follows;...

I really believe that the problem with the software may be related to some sort of "caching" that is going on. In other words, the accelerator does store a local copy of things you recently viewed on-line to help speed up your internet access. Because I don't know the intimate details of how the program works, I would like for you to cease using any of your "cleaner" programs for the time being, including not deleting temp files everytime you logoff. I'd like to see if somehow this is causing some kind of caching issue which is ultimately causing the icons to mess up. Lets let the software work the way it expects things to work and see if it keeps working.

At this moment they are not moving , so I'm not sure this tip is going to work....
I'll post back in a few days to let you know...
The last time we did this the emoticons were moving...
If you have any other suggestions in the meantime , PLEASE post them....

A VEEERRRY Happy , Healthy , Prosperous & Safe New Year to ALL....

THANK You....

Later....Ron.M.... B) ....

#79 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

appleoddity & Doug:...

Well , it's time for action....
It's been 3 days & the emoticons are still dead...
& my web history & temp files are filling up...
SOooo , what's next ???
Do I re-install NetZero & continue to not clear web history & temp files ???
OR , have you got something else you'd like me to try / check ???
PLEASE let me know.....THANK YOU....

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

#80 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

You are asking some difficult questions Ron. :) The problem with this particular issue is that it is dealing with a relatively obscure product. (By product, I mean Netzero, and dial-up) Trying to find any information that might be useful is almost impossible. In the forums, the technicians rely a lot on resources such as google to find answers to problems. This is because if you are having a problem, there is a good chance dozens if not hundreds of other people are having the same problem and someone has found a solution for it. In your particular case, Netzero and dial-up is such a little known and used product that there is next to no information available for it at all. In order to resolve your problem you'll have to follow standard troubleshooting procedures. The end goal being that you narrow the problem down to one particular thing. To do that, you'll have to try and figure out what change has been made to the computer that causes the problem. This means making only one small change at a time so that when and if the problem occurs you know exactly what caused the problem. My best suggestion at this point, seems how everything worked fine for so long, is that you try to think back to anything you may have done at the time the emoticons stopped working. If you can't remember, then try to reinstall the software again, and make no changes to your computer until you know that they are working right for an extended period of time. I really believe the problem is a combination of two things that aren't working right together. I believe one of those items is the "maintenance" routines and utilities you may be using on your computer. As far as clearing temp files, the benefits of such are arguable. Clearing temp files every time you logoff is actually detrimental. This type of, may I say, obsessive cleaning may very well be the culprit of your problem, or the tools you use to perform those procedures are probably more likely the issue. It would not be the first example of clearing temp files breaking a program. If you are using third party tools they may be overly aggressive with little real benefit. Temporary internet files are designed to improve your internet performance, and on a dial-up connection the effects of tampering with those temp files is magnified a hundred fold. This thread is so old I would rather not go back through the whole things looking for answers, so I'll ask again, if it has been asked already. What does your "cleaning" procedure look like on a daily basis? What tools/programs are you using to perform this procedure?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#81 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

appleoddity:...

Thank you VERY much for your reply & the information....

You are asking some difficult questions Ron.

Yeah , but , I think I'm in the right place asking the right people , which definitely includes you .... :D .....

In order to resolve your problem you'll have to follow standard troubleshooting procedures. The end goal being that you narrow the problem down to one particular thing. To do that, you'll have to try and figure out what change has been made to the computer that causes the problem.

I do not know ANY troubleshooting proceedures OR changes made to my computer......This is where you come in...

Temporary internet files are designed to improve your internet performance, and on a dial-up connection the effects of tampering with those temp files is magnified a hundred fold.

Correct me , PLEASE , if I'm wrong....I was under the impression that some Temp files could be detrimental to the health of a computer....If memory serves , after an anti-virus scan , I believe that I saw some bad "Temp files" listed....And I thought "cookies" did the above quote & some could also be bad.....

From my post;=>

Do I re-install NetZero & continue to not clear web history & temp files ???

Since the emoticons are frozen now , is there anything you want me to check before I re-install NetZero ???...
If & when I re-install the NetZero software , that should restore their animations & may defeat our attempts to find the cause......
After I re-install do you want me to temporarily discontinue cleaning & deleting for awhile as you suggested in the past ???

What does your "cleaning" procedure look like on a daily basis? What tools/programs are you using to perform this procedure?

I don't quite understand what you mean by "cleaning proceedure looks like" ???
When I'm done online & before I go offline I use Internet Options>Delete>Delete Temporary Internet Files>Delete (Web) History....
Before I turn my computer off I use CCleaner to clean only (I do NOT mess with Registery etc) & ATF Cleaner...
As of now , I have 9 days of web history & Temp files stored that I'm itching to get rid of....

I REALLY hope this helps & we can put an end to this problem....
Again , THANK you VERY much for ALL your help....

Later...Ron.M.... B) .....

Edited by Ron.M, 12 January 2010 - 02:30 PM.

#82 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Dear People;...

I'm begining to have serious doubts about what I've said about the help I'm getting here recently....

i.e.=>.

"" Yeah , but , I think I'm in the right place asking the right people .""... & "" You guys are the BEST around !!!!""

As I type this there have been 2773 visits & 3 techs working on this problem WITHOUT a permanent solution !!!!....
The odds that out of nearly 3K of visitors that no one knows what the problem is , is staggering.....
NO ONE likes to be ignored , especially me!!!
I'm SURE that somebody knows the answer to this aggravating problem....
PLEASE step forward & help me fix this....
I would REALLY , REALLY appreciate it....
THANK you VERY , VERY much....

Later...Ron.M... B) ....

#83 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Ron.M One of the ways we research solutions is to attempt to cause the problem on our own machine, and then trouble-shoot the system to find ways to resolve it. Other routes to solution include research of knowledge based and trouble-shooting Topic Threads at this and other Forums. And then there are situations where existing knowledge of how operating systems, applications, devices, and internet access drivers are "supposed to work", and from that base we may be able use logic, intuition or best guess to explore more options or suggest possible solutions. In this case of dial-up NetZero and a specific effect on emoticons used in Forum posting, the knowledge base is limited and the number of similar problems posted is also limited. Attempting to recreate the problem by signing up for a free or paid basic account with NetZero "might" allow a tech to trouble-shoot on their own machine, but would require using the account in daily routine that was similar enough to your own usage as to duplicate the problem.... given also that the machine would also need to be very similar to your own. Those are some fairly large obstacles to independent research on the part of our Techs. Hopefully, one of us will at least -stumble upon- a similar situation that provokes our ability to compose a fix, and cause us to think "Hey, this is just like the problem posted by Ron.M" "Let's post this solution to see if it works for Ron.M" But the process takes time. Please remember that our Techs and the Techs of most Forums are volunteers and additionally do not have inside access to the workings of providers such as NetZero. Please also take into consideration that (I think) NetZero has either not provided a solution, or has stated that the problem is unrelated to their own software. OK.... Maybe so. But your machine(s) are otherwise working well and performing required tasks, such that it is quite "persuasive" that NetZero is somehow involved. ________________ How about running the PCPitstop Full Tests and posting a link to your Results. We may be able to identify something amiss from the results... or not. One way or another, what is necessary here is "more information" either about the exact problem and involved softwares, or a fortunate stumble upon a previously undiscovered solution. Therefore, it is probably better to provide additional information, than to reflect on the lack of results up to this point. Best Regards

#84 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

Doug;....

THANK you for your speedy reply.... :D ....
PLEASE do NOT take my previous post personally.....
I'm trying to get one of those 2773 viewers to wake up & help us out...
appleoddity asked me 2 questions & I answered them & asked him
2 questions that are currently unanswered...
That was 2 days ago....
I feel like I got the heave ho....

Here are the PCPitstop test results you requested....
Before you go there , be advised that I now have 12 days of web history ,
cookies & Temp files stored that I'm itching to get rid of....
So you may see a LOT of trash there....

http://www.pcpitstop...WWP8WRMFFBSJAQP

Please also take into consideration that (I think) NetZero has either not
provided a solution, or has stated that the problem is unrelated to their own software.
OK.... Maybe so. But your machine(s) are otherwise working well and performing required tasks,
such that it is quite "persuasive" that NetZero is somehow involved.

This is where I'm getting confused....
While the problem appears to be corrected when I re-install NetZero.
(BTW: I did NOT do that as yet) , I'm having a problem thinking that NetZero's
software , per se , is at fault....
The reason being that on my other Dell , the same software works perfectly....
& When I re-install the software on this unit , the problem is temporarily fixed....
I keep coming back to the theory that something is corrupting/altering the NetZero software....
Problem is...WHAT ???

Doug;....

THANK you VERY much for your help....

Edited by Ron.M, 16 January 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#85 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

Ron.M,

Wrong Link.

Have a look here, for how to post a link to your Results:
http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#86 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

Doug;...

Sorry about that , Alzheimers kicked in ... :D ....

This better ???

http://www.pcpitstop...WWP8WRMFFBSJAQP

Thank you ..... :D .....

Edited by Ron.M, 16 January 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#87 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

Dear People;...

I'm begining to have serious doubts about what I've said about the help I'm getting here recently....

i.e.=>.

"" Yeah , but , I think I'm in the right place asking the right people .""... & "" You guys are the BEST around !!!!""

As I type this there have been 2773 visits & 3 techs working on this problem WITHOUT a permanent solution !!!!....
The odds that out of nearly 3K of visitors that no one knows what the problem is , is staggering.....
NO ONE likes to be ignored , especially me!!!
I'm SURE that somebody knows the answer to this aggravating problem....
PLEASE step forward & help me fix this....
I would REALLY , REALLY appreciate it....
THANK you VERY , VERY much....

Later...Ron.M... B) ....

Your on very thin ice here sir.

You are free to go to any site you wish if you don't like how fast you receive help.
You have over 300 post and received FREE help many times. Maybe you should have taken all your request for help to a repair shop.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise. This isn't our real pay jobs and we have families as well.

Consider yourself warned. The next time I see a post like that by you it will be your last post at WTT.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#88 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

Dump your Temporary Internet Files AND reset your Cache size to about 90mb instead of 50 mb
Internet Cache overflow is a vector for bad things to happen.

What's with the BitTorrent?
Of course, it's your machine and your decision, but it does run active all the time.... and I'm not sure you want that.... I sure wouldn't.

Disable
Java™ Quick Starter Service
Java™ Platform SE 6
IgfxTray
slmdmsr.exe <-- this is your modem configuration utility and is not needed once correctly set up.

Consider Uninstalling:
SpeedBitVideoAccelerator
SpeedBit Stream Accelerator Service

Alternately, consider Uninstalling:
NetZero Accelerator <-- I realize this may be embedded, and not five you access to uninstall without uninstalling the entire NetZero package.
--- maybe you can "disable" it in MSCONFIG - StartUps ?? and/or "disable" its associated Service.

I'm just wondering if having both accelerators running active could be conflicting. ??

Now to anticipate, you may tell me/us that you have both running on your other machine with no problems
To which I'd say..... Yeah, But... it is a different machine with different hardware components.

So give the above a try.

What Device Drivers do you presently have disabled?

What's up with Ant.com Toolbar 1.6
No, nevermind. Forget I asked.
You wouldn't have it, unless you found it useful, Right?

But temporarily as an experiment -- Uninstall it to see if it makes any beneficial difference.

Next time you run the PCPitstop Full Tests Please Select OVERDRIVE as your test engine.
We'll get some different and maybe even better information.

Please answer the above, consider following the recommendations above, and then post a fresh PCPitstop Full Tests OverDrive test Results in your next reply

Thanks,

#89 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Doug;.....

Thanks again for your speedy reply.....
In reply to your post:...
It was a bit trickey but I got rid of SpeedBitVideoAccelerator &
SpeedBit Stream Accelerator Service....
I also cleared all Temporary Files & Web History in Internet Options...
I'm gonna need some help with a few items...

reset your Cache size to about 90mb instead of 50 mb

Done !!!

This being 1;=>...

What's with the BitTorrent?

I downloaded that quite awhile ago...I don't remember what it was for....I removed it some time ago & have no clue as to why it's showing up on PCPitStop....It doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs OR , using the "Search" box , nothing there either....So we go on another hunt....

Disable
Java™ Quick Starter Service
Java™ Platform SE 6
IgfxTray
slmdmsr.exe <-- this is your modem configuration utility and is not needed once correctly set up.

Need help with all of this too.....

What Device Drivers do you presently have disabled?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "Device Drivers".....I have (Under "Device Manager") Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller disabled....

What's up with Ant.com Toolbar 1.6

This is another thing that snuck onto my computer & I got rid of it long ago....So how it's showing up on PCPitStop beats the heck outta me....Again , this is not showing up in Add/Remove OR using the "search"box , nada....IF it's hiding somewhere , lets get rid of it permanently....

NetZero Accelerator <-- I realize this may be embedded, and not five<<?? you access to uninstall without uninstalling the entire NetZero package.
--- maybe you can "disable" it in MSCONFIG - StartUps ?? and/or "disable" its associated Service.

appleoddity & I tried to find this before without any success....I think it's embedded in the file....

I'm going offline now to re-install NetZero & get a new PCPitStop scan...
Will post results as soon as I can....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.....

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....

#90 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

Doug;....

I re-installed NetZero & as I suspected , the emoticons are working again....
Something is apparently altering the NetZero file....

Here is the new PCPitStop scan....
Some , if not all , of the same stuff is there again...

http://www.pcpitstop...7RZYWRMFFBSPMQP

PC PitStop is showing that I have no Backup Software installed when , in fact ,
I have Erunt up & running for a long , long time...
Isn't Erunt acceptable as a backup ???
EDIT:..
I did a "report" to PC Pitstop & got the following statement;=>..
"""Your software category report had a problem. Our software reported the following error message:
ERUNT 1.1j has been disallowed as Backup"""
So that's that !!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....

Edited by Ron.M, 16 January 2010 - 07:34 PM.