Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Emoticons Stuck !

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

appleoddity;...
OK , Now haveing Edit problems....

EDIT;...
Ok , re-starting the computer reset the "Proxy Server to on...
See screenshot below...
Proxy__2.jpg

Been haveing edit problems...Tried "Quick Edit" & "Full Edit"...Neither worked...

Later....Ron.M... B) ....

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#62 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

I was concerned that the Netzero software would "force" the proxy setting. I have done some further research and the proxy setting utilizing HTTP port 7900 is definitely, without question, the service referred to as Netzero 3G. So, I have to ask this, is there a possibility, seems how you have not paid for this 3G service, that you may have downloaded and installed the wrong version? Possibly, you updated the software some time ago and this could be a clue as to when the problems started occuring? I tried to check that, but I don't think I can get access to any downloads unless I am a member. I'm sorry, but I am having a hard time understanding how this 3G software is installed if you are not paying for the accelerated service. And, I still remain positive that this software IS what's causing your problem. Please log in to Netzero, dig around, and see if you can answer these questions and see if there is a different installer you can download that does not include this 3G accelerator. I am about at my wits end on this, and I am wondering if you have tried to contact Netzero about this problem? All I can say is that I've been at this a long time and, although I may be wrong, there isn't any doubt in my mind that this Netzero accelerator thing is what's causing your problem. But, it is fairly uncommon software in the grand scheme of things and I can't get much information on it. Add to that, Netzero pretty much locks down there downloads and support to members only, and it makes it difficult for me to explore things for you to try. Hopefully I am leading you in a good direction and you may be able to find some more information on this at netzero.com or through their phone support. Please keep me informed and I'll do what I can to help.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#63 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

appleoddity;...

In reply;....

So, I have to ask this, is there a possibility, seems how you have not paid for this 3G service, that you may have downloaded and installed the wrong version? Possibly, you updated the software some time ago and this could be a clue as to when the problems started occuring?

The short answer is NO....The software came from a NetZero CD....NOT downloaded...
There has been NO update by either NetZero OR myself....
If I remember correctly , there was an option to install their High Speed service....<<The "High Speed" ( .exe file ) IS in "My Documents" but is NOT installed...
But there was also an extra monthly additional charge & I declined....
I have the "Platinum" account which is a no frills , bare bones account...
This software & whatever is with it have been on this computer for many months with NO problems....
So , IF the software is THE problem , WHY start acting up a couple of weeks ago ????

I tried to check that, but I don't think I can get access to any downloads unless I am a member.

Try here....
http://netzero.net/s/download

You'll notice that they have an Accelerated version there....
I'm not sure what's on my CD , but will check it later...
Edit;...The CD has about 80 MBs of data.....The website has about 1.8 MBs
Obviously not the same files....
BTW: If you get a login page there , I'm sorry..
May be that they recognize my computer ID....

I'm sorry, but I am having a hard time understanding how this 3G software is installed if you are not paying for the accelerated service.

I'm a bit confused about this 3G software you talk about...How did you figure out that it's already installed ???....The accelerated service that you pay extra for is called "HiSpeed"...

And, I still remain positive that this software IS what's causing your problem........ All I can say is that I've been at this a long time and, although I may be wrong, there isn't any doubt in my mind that this Netzero accelerator thing is what's causing your problem......

With ALL due respect , appleoddity , I'm having a problem accepting that...Reason is that I have 2 computers , both Dells...Read my quotes from prior posts:

From post #13;...

I can definitely tell you what it's not....
I switched computers....(Went to my GX1)....
Put it on the same phone line...Works perfect...
Animation at ALL locations includeing here working.....
So we can definitely rule out NetZero... <<==...EDIT; Would this assumption be correct ???
BOTH computers have IE-7....
This one has Opera also....
Tried to use it but it will NOT go to any website.... .....
White page just sits there , sits there , etc.....
So I can't rule out IE-7 on this computer as possibly being the problem just yet....
I did re-install IE-7 on this one.....
I'm not sure if it comes with Win XP Pro as part of the package...

From post #19;...

I finally figured out how to get Opera to take me around the web.....
I went to the websites including this one & we can now rule out the browsers..... <<== EDIT: Would THAT assumption be correct ???
ie; Does it on Opera...
Still no animation...

From post #21;...

WHY are we doing this when I/we ruled out IE-7 as a cause ????...
I tried Opera & it STILL does the same thing.!!!...
It seems to me that since ISP (NetZero) & browsers are NOT the cause , how
about we look somewhere else for the problem ???

As you can see , the problem appears to be the computer & not the ISP or software in my novice laymans deductive oppinion....
PLEASE correct me if my logic is flawed ! ! !

appleoddity, NO OFFENSE , BUT ,
to ME it looks like we have ruled out my ISP (NetZero) ,
my browser ( Does it with Opera also) ,
any infections (See Infection Removal Forum), so what's left :
THIS COMPUTER ! ! !

In an effort to be fair , I ran accross this older NetZero Error JPEG;....

Netzero_setup_error.JPG
That is dated Apr,09....
I've been online since May, 09 on THIS computer...
So I don't remember IF , how , OR when that was solved...
Just a FYI...I don't know if it's even relevent...

NOW ! ! !...
This is post #63 , 2 weeks later , & we're still poking around like
blind men at a yard sale....
IF it appears that I'm a bit piss.ed , you're right...
I have good reason to be...
As a retired TV tech , I diagnose a problem...
Not seeing much of that here...
We seem to be "let's try this , let's try that".....
& What happened to this;==>"""Ok.. Now we are getting somewhere."""
Are we here;.. :wall:

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

#64 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

appleoddity;....

I "may" have found the problem.....I'll let you know when it's consistent.....
As they said on an old TV show:..."Please Stand By".........

Thanks....

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....

#65 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

While I can certainly understand your frustration Ron, admittedly you are a TV technician, and not a computer technician. That is why you are here seeking help. No offense, but I AM a computer technician and I have a keen sense of where problems are and how to troubleshoot and resolve them. As far as narrowing it down to the computer, yes, you are correct. We have narrowed it down to your computer. We have not, in any shape or form eliminated NetZero as the culprit, and the more we do the more it seems to be NetZero. Let me explain something. NetZero, the internet service, consists of their servers, network infrastructure, your phone line, etc. We have eliminated that. You did so by using another computer with the same service and it worked fine. Your computer, however, is just a bunch of hardware that does exactly what it is programmed to do. My point? The programming is done by the software. Therefore, your computer and what it does IS the software! So, when you say, we have eliminated NetZero, yes, we have eliminated NetZero the internet service, but we have NOT eliminated NetZero the software that is installed on your computer. I hope this helps to explain why we have not eliminated this software at all. AND, with everything we have done, anybody following the thread will most likely agree, EVERYTHING ELSE has been eliminated. The further we go, the MORE it looks like NetZero. I can tell you that you do, in fact, have the accelerated service installed on your computer that you are not paying for. That little speedometer on your taskbar is the accelerator. THe proxy setting in your browser of port 7900 is what the accelerator uses. The service you are using and paying for is $9.95/month. THe Accelerated service, also known as hi-speed 3G, is $14.95/month. If you are not using the accelerated service, then you should not have the accelerator installed. The accelerator has directly hooked itself into your internet connection (via the proxy setting) and is "intercepting" everything you do on the internet causing you all the grief you are talking about. NOTHING else is causing your problem. As you said, you have already eliminated the browser, and settings, etc. The only other possibility was the speedbit accelerator that was hooked into your connection also but is no longer present. I understand that you are not fully grasping the techicalities of exactly what that accelerator is doing, the same as I would not fully grasp how a TV signal is demodulated and converted to a stream of electrons that are then shot at a phospohorous coating. (Well, ok, maybe I would) Anyways, I do understand your frustration, but you also have to understand that until you DO eliminate the NetZero software as the problem, there is no other likely cause of your problem to even suspect or look at. (Besides, we already looked at any other possibility anyways) That is what I am trying to accomplish here. I want to eliminate that software as the culprit. So, I have tried the link you provided, but as I suspected, I have to login to view the downloads. The discrepency in size of software is most likely a result of documentation, videos, etc. that they have put on the CD in addition to the tiny little program that you need. My suggestion, at this point, is that you go back to the link you provided me, and download the "non" accelerated version. Once you are done downloading it, completely uninstall your NetZero software and install the non accelerated version you downloaded. Once you are done, please report back with the proxy settings in your browser, and if your speedometer still exists on the taskbar, and if your icons are still notgood up. Now, not to offend you again, but you are here asking for help because you know that we know more than you do on computers. Please hear me (or us) out and follow through with some of what I am suggesting, without quoting your own deductions again to me. :) I'm not mad at you or nothing, and actually I find this a little humerous, so don't be so frustrated and please don't be offended. If we have finally eliminated the NetZero software as the problem, I will humbly apologize for all the wasted effort, and carry on troubleshooting any other possibilities we may have missed. But we have to get rid of the most likely, and what my experience tells me it is, before I "waste" time looking elsewhere. Thanks.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#66 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

appleoddity;....

I'll try to keep this short.....(FAILED , SORRY )

1st;.... Update;.....
On Sunday , I posted that I "may" have found the problem.....
Sorry to report , it worked till late last night when they froze again....

1st a bit of history here:....

In post #9 , you said that software or a setting is the problem....
In post #38 , I was sent to Infections Removal Forum....
There we found a "worm"...I deleted the infected file....NO change with the problem.....
In post #43 , the NetZero software came back on the scene....
In post #45 , you suggested doing something as drastic as re-installing the NetZero software....
Nothing drastic about that...Takes less that 1 min 30 sec's to do....
& you said;.."I still think it is the NetZero software.""
In post #46 , I said that "I have removed & re-installed the NetZero software many times to no avail...."
That is true , but they were done while the "worm" was still on my computer....

Now with all of that said , when they quit working Nov. 15th , I forgot to try what you suggested in post #56...
Instead , I went offline & removed NetZero with revo uninstaller....NO remnants....
From my side of the fence , it is a shot in the dark...
And TA-DA it WORKED....sorta....
I thought we had it solved....
Last night , 2 days after it quit , it quit AGAIN....
This morning , they were still not working....
So I removed NetZero again & TA-DA it's working again.....
Now , it's not going to help my attitude any if I have to uninstall & re-install
Netzero software every 2 days , is it ??....
BTW:..I have 3 Netzero software CD's....
Methinks that altho NetZero's software is being affected , it's not the software per se....
Would I be correct on that assumption ???
The "worm" that was found & removed was for an "animated" Dolphin Screen Saver....
I am NOT the slightest bit familiar how a "worm" works or how it causes trouble...
Something IS affecting the software....Question is , IF I'm right , how do we fix it ????
My uneducated guess is that the "worm" may have found a new home file even tho it was deleted....
Are we getting anywhere still ???

I have to say this before I go ANY further.....Regarding my last post:...

I am NOT & was NOT piss.ed at you personally...Frustrated , yes...But with the problem & NOT with you.....I am NOT offended & hope you are not also...

Now in reply to parts of your previous post:....

The service you are using and paying for is $9.95/month. THe Accelerated service, also known as hi-speed 3G, is $14.95/month.

We seem to have a bit of confusion over this still....
When I first got NetZero , I had problems with their service....It was the $9.95 program....
That version at that time did NOT come with any accelerator....
If you upgraded to the $14.95 version, as you say , you do get it....
I threatened to quit during the 30 day free trial period & they upgraded me & dropped the fee to $6.95 a month that I still pay...
So the accelerated part got in there without me knowing it....I tried to activate their "3G High Speed" & it won't go...
So it's apparently disabled at their end....But that's been OVER 2 years....

My suggestion, at this point, is that you go back to the link you provided me, and download the "non" accelerated version..

I can NOT find a "non-accelerated" version....NO such animal exists....
I did download the most recent version & will install it when it messes up again....

appleoddity;....

I have NOTHING but the highest regards for you , your credentials (EXCELLENT) & what you do here....
IF I have said ANYTHING to upset you in ANY way , I sincerely APOLOGIZE ! ! !

Have a GREAT evening....

PS: The emoticons are still active as I finish this.....ALL of them....
Later...Ron.M.... B) .....

#67 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hi Ron! Thanks for all the good information.

I'm glad that you are having some bit of success. I do hope you'll understand when I say that it kind of proves my point that it is the NetZero software in some form or another.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on with it here at the moment. I have another suspicion that might be causing the problem.

When you said this:

Try here....

I assumed that you meant there were two versions listed. one accelerated and one not accelerated.

This link: http://help.netzero....start/copy.html

Appears to suggest that the version of download that you see is dependent on the version your are subscribed to. So, it does appear, if the only download available is high-speed 3g accelerated software that you are subscribed to the high-speed service. Based on what you tell me, it sounds like they upgraded you to the accelerated services and dropped the fee. Which is good for you.

Unforunately, for some reason, the software appears to be having some troubles on that particular computer. You mention the worm. I have the highest regards for TomK and his work. I didn't even review your malware thread. However, from what I did read, and I'm sure TomK will agree, what was found on your computer was relatively insignificant. Although there is a possibility of some type of remaining infection, I find it highly unlikely and do not see any reason to send you back to the malware removal forum for further checks. As TomK and Doug are both subscribed to this thread, I know that they will throw in their two cents if they feel otherwise. For the time being, we will assume you are not infected and continue with our current path.

I'm very glad that you are having some results, and I feel it is very helpful for you to be able to narrow down what might be happening. I really believe that the problem with the software may be related to some sort of "caching" that is going on. In other words, the accelerator does store a local copy of things you recently viewed on-line to help speed up your internet access. Because I don't know the intimate details of how the program works, I would like for you to cease using any of your "cleaner" programs for the time being, including not deleting temp files everytime you logoff. I'd like to see if somehow this is causing some kind of caching issue which is ultimately causing the icons to mess up. Lets let the software work the way it expects things to work and see if it keeps working.

Your comment that you downloaded the latest version is a VERY GOOD idea. There is a good possibility even something as simple as a recent windows update may have broken the version you have and using the newest version may help. If, and when, the problem occurs again please try uninstalling the old software and using the new.

At least, for now, I hope you feel we are getting somewhere and some of your frustration may subside.

I'm somewhat familiar with the NetZero software from the few clients I have that have had me install and configure it for them. I do know that some of the older versions on CD do have some significant compatibility issues. Certainly updating the software is a very valid thing to try.

Good luck, and continue to keep me informed of your findings.

No offense taken, by the way.

#68 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

appleoddity;...

Well , this time it didn't last a day , about 18 hrs to be more precise....
I removed NetZero with Revo uninstaller using the "advanced" method......
I then went to the "search" box & was suprised that there were some remnants left behind.....
I removed them there....
I'm a bit disappointed in "Revo"....Should have got those stragglers....
I re-installed NetZero with the downloaded new version & they are working again....
For how long remains a question...

In reply;...

I do hope you'll understand when I say that it kind of proves my point that it is the NetZero software in some form or another.

With ALL due respect;..You ARE 100% correct when you say that the NetZero software IS involved....
NO doubt about it....Somewhere along the line , I got the impression that you were saying that the software is defective....I'm thinking that the software is good but is being corrupted or altered by something else....

When you said this:

Try here....
I assumed that you meant there were two versions listed. one accelerated and one not accelerated.

I can not tell what version is on the CDs....
There is only one version listed available....No non-accelerated version is available....
The non-accelerated version appears to have been discontinued about 2 years ago....

This link: http://help.netzero....start/copy.html

Appears to suggest that the version of download that you see is dependent on the version your are subscribed to. So, it does appear, if the only download available is high-speed 3g accelerated software that you are subscribed to the high-speed service. Based on what you tell me, it sounds like they upgraded you to the accelerated services and dropped the fee. Which is good for you.

My account with NetZero shows it as a "Platinum" account...
Why it shows that & gives me high speed is a mystery to all but God....

I would like for you to cease using any of your "cleaner" programs for the time being, including not deleting temp files everytime you logoff.

Does this include removing "Delete Web History".???...

Later...Ron.M..... B) ....

#69 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Yes.. For now please. We need to eliminate variables.

#70 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

appleoddity;...

No problem...Will do...

Thanks...

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#71 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

appleoddity;....

Posted Image

Just an update here.....It's been doing fine for 4 days now without ANY glitches.....
YOU ARE on the right track....
I'm building up a volume of websites visited & loads of temp files...
How much longer do I do this before we incorporate the next step ???

THANK you.....

Later...Ron.M..... B) .... :popcorn: ....

Edited by Ron.M, 24 November 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#72 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

Hi Ron.. I would say that this has been sufficiently long enough to assume that they would continue to work properly as things are right now. So, you may now resume your original practice of deleting temp files and history, etc. Lets see how that works. If it does, we are all good on this thread from the looks of it. Good luck.

#73 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

appleoddity , Doug , & TomK;...

1st up;.... Happy Thanksgiving to you....

appleoddity;....

It's been 2 days & so far , so good....

I would say that this has been sufficiently long enough to assume that they would continue to work properly as things are right now.

I have a few questions;....
#1=Any idea as to what caused this problem ????
#2=What exactly did I / we do to fix this ???...IF in fact it IS fixed ???
#3=What can I do to prevent this from happening again ???

Again , HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU & YOUR LOVED ONES...... Posted Image

Edited by Ron.M, 24 November 2009 - 01:33 PM.

#74 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

appleoddity;....

Just a gentle little bump here......
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving & are still stuffed with turkey , stuffing , etc....
It's been a week since my last post & I realize there was a holiday in between.....
But it's Tues , Dec,01,09 , the holiday is over & back to work we go.... ;) ...
The emoticons are working just fine... :D ...
I would appreciate answers to the following questions;...

I would say that this has been sufficiently long enough to assume that they would continue to work properly as things are right now..

I have a few questions;....
#1=Any idea as to what caused this problem ????
#2=What exactly did I / we do to fix this ???...IF in fact it IS fixed ???
#3=What can I do to prevent this from happening again ???

Thank you & I REALLY hope you had a GREAT holiday....

Later....Ron.M.... B) ..... :popcorn: .....

#75 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

Here's a less than satisfying answer. Being a methodically trained computer Tech is not mutually exclusive of being superstitious. Somewhere along the line, you uninstalled a faulty version of your ISP's internet connection handling package, and installed a fresh version that did not have the fault, or the same version that completely installed without creating faults. Somewhere in the running of CHKDSK /r the native windows utility corrected a fault in the file structure that was throwing an error or causing the internet connection utility to fault. The above might be less than scientifically described as rooting out the gremlins. _______________________ As long as the present configuration of your internet connection software is functioning properly there should be no reason to change it. Periodically (maybe once every 3 to 6 months), it would be a healthy thing to do for your machine to run: *CHKDSK /r followed by *Disk Defrag Otherwise, your already good practices should suffice to stave off the gremlins. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.