Windows 7; What's dat?
16 min read
Two days ago I attempted to install Windows 7 to a clean HDD and encountered numerous problems like sluggish downloads, frequent interruptions to the Internet, lack of drivers and having to go to the distributor's Web pages to get them, then having Windows 7 reject them, and having to accept a package of programs when all I wanted was the email program; and there were many others minor nuisances which I have now forgotten. One of the first problems was Windows 7 would not recognise the HDD then when it subsequently did it said there was insufficient space! The HDD is a 500 GB model. After 12 hours attempting to install Windows 7 and for the fourth occasion I surrendered and returned to the best that MS has yet produced, XP! It took just 45 minutes to put XP back on the system! Am I the only one who has come stuck with Windows 7?
Previously I purchased Vista and enjoyed this operating system but a Web page to which I have a paid subscription could not be downloaded on Vista so I returned to XP. This problem may have been resolved by now. I still have Vista installed on another PC that I do not normally use.
Noted too that the distributors of Ubuntu are restricting the free issue of the OS to one per application as the demand is heavy. Would this be a sign of the times; like witnessing the death throws of Microsoft Windows OSs?
I am now scared to attempt to re-install Windows 7 but as it has been registered I am wondering if I could have it removed so that someone else may benefit from it if they feel competent at installing it.
Win 7 has it's quirks and there are thing MS needs to fix, but over all, I encourage anyone who has a computer that can run Windows 7 to do so. It can be setup as a dual boot with XP very easily if XP is already installed. There will be some software that does not work and some hardware too.
Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what kind of shape you'll be in.
In general, people don't like change and Windows 7 is a significant change from XP as far as the user interface is concerned. I was hesitant at first too, but after having used it for a month I like it. Now when I have to switch back to XP for anything it's boring. The interface feels clunky and very outdated, like moving from Windows 98 to XP did.
Win 7 has it's quirks and there are thing MS needs to fix, but over all, I encourage anyone who has a computer that can run Windows 7 to do so. It can be setup as a dual boot with XP very easily if XP is already installed. There will be some software that does not work and some hardware too.
Nod this seems to be the most problems I have encounter with other users so far, take note before moving over to 7 run this as Ztruker said, it could save you a lot of troubles. The other problems is seen its due to upgrading. Now as for clean installs, no problems yet.
Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what kind of shape you'll be in.
I have been using 7 ultim. RC and now full ver of it an I like it, also when I switch back to XP for older programs it feels funny and so outdated to me.
It's has an excellent web browser, E-mail and Web page designer as well as an IRC client. It works very well with Windows 7.
I don't know how many lines of code make up a web browser, but the last I heard, windows 7 has around 25 million, every one of which could cause a problem if it's not correct.
SeaMonkey also has it's own support forums: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=51
Psst! Trying to get rid of me?
In relation to MVPS Hosts (reading from another thread) what is 'Homer', has it some connection to MVPS?
Psst! Trying to get rid of me?
Nah, just providing full service for your dollar
As for Homer: Homer - a localhost webserver. Now that you're blocking ads and sites with your hosts file, Speed up your browsing experience by serving an image of your choice to fill in where those ads would have normally been.
Found here: http://www.funkytoad
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI