humble pie
Topic Starter
I;m off on a little adventure and wonder if others have traveled the path. Any and all comments are gratefully welcomed …..
Am past diagnostics. Accepted the risks, know I may eat a motherboard, … oh well …. momma don't need no new shoes
=Sony Vaio VGC=RC210G Desktop. Unaltered (nothing changed or replaced) (motherboard, chipset, processor, video & audio cards, etc. all factory)
= believe BIOS corrupted at kernel level
= original twin 160 gig Seagates fried ( to such a degree that they would no longer admit to being anything more than 5 gig. One had a 17 layer rewrite and a realignment and would not admit it was even a HDD!
=have one WD Caviar Green 500 gig Formatted and ready to go. OS is not loaded
=Sony E-Support (who, I must say, was very helpful, though slow to understand) has confirmed that the BIOS Update file I plan to load will automatically install the original BIOS.
=Knowing I will certainly only get one chance AND that Sony is known for hidden partitions on their hard drive - I am wary. Would they ambush me in the processor or at a another layer ?
Here;s my plan: 1) load original factory chipset, 2) load "BIOS Update", 3. load Sony's "Shared Library (including win XP), then servers, drivers, bells and whistles .
COMMENTS ?
Am past diagnostics. Accepted the risks, know I may eat a motherboard, … oh well …. momma don't need no new shoes
=Sony Vaio VGC=RC210G Desktop. Unaltered (nothing changed or replaced) (motherboard, chipset, processor, video & audio cards, etc. all factory)
= believe BIOS corrupted at kernel level
= original twin 160 gig Seagates fried ( to such a degree that they would no longer admit to being anything more than 5 gig. One had a 17 layer rewrite and a realignment and would not admit it was even a HDD!
=have one WD Caviar Green 500 gig Formatted and ready to go. OS is not loaded
=Sony E-Support (who, I must say, was very helpful, though slow to understand) has confirmed that the BIOS Update file I plan to load will automatically install the original BIOS.
=Knowing I will certainly only get one chance AND that Sony is known for hidden partitions on their hard drive - I am wary. Would they ambush me in the processor or at a another layer ?
Here;s my plan: 1) load original factory chipset, 2) load "BIOS Update", 3. load Sony's "Shared Library (including win XP), then servers, drivers, bells and whistles .
COMMENTS ?